• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New "Orange"

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
As you know, lately I have been dragging home blue, yellow and red machines. Today, something orange followed me home. I believe it is a 927 with seats. It has the wood inserts on the floor and on the seats and a ski rack built on the front. It needs new wooden skis, running boards, a draw bar rebuild, and new wheel assemblies. I have to get busy and get this done for winter. I am pretty sure it will get used quite a bit by myself or other Tucker Sno-Cat owners in the area. I was told that it originally came from Attitash Ski Area in Bartlett, NH.

Here are a few current images.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Another "TOY" for us to use!! :smile: maybe the "IMP" would like to pull it around.I got to make up some sort of steam chamber to make new white oak skis, i actually got to get some white oak sawn out !!!

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well the trailer ain't really orange anymore, mostly yellow !!! so Thiokols, tuckers, and even Bombers might be pull "LEGAL" !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
fabulous FIND !!! :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

the trailer is a 926, a one ton, all the wood slats were added by the end user, original floors were always made of plywood, and the skis were made of hickory. be careful if you pull IT with something other than a Tucker.:whistling::whistling:
:wink:

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
fabulous FIND !!! :w00t2::w00t2::w00t2:

the trailer is a 926, a one ton, all the wood slats were added by the end user, original floors were always made of plywood, and the skis were made of hickory. be careful if you pull IT with something other than a Tucker.:whistling::whistling:
:wink:

The geometry of the trailer and Sno-Cat is such that the skis on the trailer follow in the compacted tracks of the Tucker even in the turns.

Here is how you haul the trailer and Sno-Cat. Other photo is on Mt. Hood with Canadian down hill racer Ken Reed 1970's summer training.

Attachments

• Scan0052.pdf
    206.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another "TOY" for us to use!! :smile: maybe the "IMP" would like to pull it around.I got to make up some sort of steam chamber to make new white oak skis, i actually got to get some white oak sawn out !!!

The factory used Hickory.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well i just checked the box length and its 104" long. and the brochures say the 926 is 80" and the 927 is 96" sooooo this must have been custom built !!!!:biggrin: Thats my story anyway !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

My brother- in-law has some 1"X8"and 1"X10" white oak if you are interested. He works at Irelands old mill. Let me know if you want to look at it and I will give you his number.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I have some out back in my board pile i'll check and see what i have first, sure would be hard to find hickory around here!!! Dont know if i have ever seen hickory around here.:biggrin:

I was thinking that hickory was pretty rare in these parts. I was also thinking that there would only be about two people that would know that the skis were not made out of the correct wood.:whistling:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Loggah, does Miss Glacierparkbus know where you live? If so, perhaps some Concertina wire, claymores, really hungry dobermans....

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have some out back in my board pile i'll check and see what i have first, sure would be hard to find hickory around here!!! Dont know if i have ever seen hickory around here.:biggrin:

Here is how I steam bent the hickory skis. Steamed the tips for 45 mins. each and clamped them. The problem was that the wood I used had been kiln dried and it did not work as well as non-kiln dried wood, but it did not splinter.

Attachments

• DSCN1196.jpg
    DSCN1196.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCN1198.jpg
    DSCN1198.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 345

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Loggah, does Miss Glacierparkbus know where you live? If so, perhaps some Concertina wire, claymores, really hungry dobermans....

really :bounce: as I recall, i thought it was fabulous that he found the trailer and has it, lets see if i make a offer that will be very hard to refuse::whistling:

and I love you too, mr. cidertom :whistling: ouch

Last edited:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well ,i got no Dobermans up this way, but i got three really wacky housecats, cats live to long, and dogs dont live long enough !!!! I guess the trailer is kind of rare not fitting any brochure info. Scott thats a neat way to bend the tips,probably work easier with air dried or green lumber. Nice to visit with you today also. Now i have to go to the other forum to post the rest of the "ORANGE" story.:biggrin:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I started working on the trailer,put new running boards on the sides and started cutting the drawbar off to build a new one. On the front of the trailer there is a "E" painted on it. I am wondering if Tucker lettered there trailers,or David Gregg did? "Glacierparkbus" Jinn said that Gregg bought 5 trailers in 1949,wondering if the "E" might be trailer no.5???? so many questions !!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
to date, have not found any markings on trailers done by tucker inc, that would include serial numbers stamped anywhere on the trailer ( no sooner than i say this, i will find out differently ) does look like, Gregg did place markings/ ID's on the machines he sold.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well ,i got no Dobermans up this way, but i got three really wacky housecats, cats live to long, and dogs dont live long enough !!!! I guess the trailer is kind of rare not fitting any brochure info. Scott thats a neat way to bend the tips,probably work easier with air dried or green lumber. Nice to visit with you today also. Now i have to go to the other forum to post the rest of the "ORANGE" story.:biggrin:

Green wood be the best way to go. Also, I wood not hesitate to use oak, I won't tell. You may have to experiment with the steam time. It should bend without too much force. Wood turns kind of spongy. I let the ski stay on the steel forum for a day after bending. Don't know if necessary or not. I will ask someone who made them for Tucker back in the day.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
For now im going to make the skis out of a wood,steel combination like the ones on the Glidden machine only because it will be quicker in my "outside" shop!!:biggrin: Next summer i will try bending some up out of "green" oak ,i have some nice Oak growing over by my sawmill. I also have a few nice Ash over there??:biggrin: The idea of getting skis laid up out of fiberglass went thru my mind,then when i found out it would cost $3400 for a mold and 4 skis it went out of my mind damned fast !!!!:wow::wow:Jinn,I have not found any s/n stamped any where on this trailer, but i will be checking hard on the drawbar tongue before i scrap it.

Don I was with Steve when you fired up the Lombard and took us on a great tucker tour. Thanks for the hospitality! I may have a source for green hickory here in maine,,, need to know size that would allow you to make factory skis for your project. Steve will chime in if you want to get ahold of me. a buddy has a tree service here and runs across them often.
Best Regards
Edward

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Edward, The finished size is 1"x9"x 8' a little thicker and i can plane it down to 1". Hope your back is doing well,you put a lot of miles on it for your visit with Steve. Take care.

Don Over the years Steve and I have been known to drive 600 miles just for a cup of coffee! Back is mending. Will get to work on hickory this week.
Edward