• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alaskan seeking IMP restoration info.

IMP

Site Supporter
What a great resource! I just found this site, Its a wealth of info. I inherited a 1970 Imp 1404 wide track about 8 years ago and have finally started to make a project out of it. It needs new tracks and grousers rebuilt first thing. the grousers on it now are drop style sprite type A. Has any one had luck welding reinforcement on the grousers to beef them up? I plan to do more fall moose hunting with this rig in the muskeg than snow travel. this unit doesnt look very heavy duty but I think if I keep it in the grass away from rocks, and go easy, it will do ok. Anyone have any advice before I start spending big $$$
Edit/Delete Message

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
IMP said:
It needs new tracks and grousers rebuilt first thing. the grousers on it now are drop style sprite type A.
Teeoster in Michigan is currently working on his restoration of an IMP and may be able to help you out with some adive. Pixie has an IMP as well. Mtntopper has lots of experience with Thiokol/DMC/LMC machines, as do a few others (look for a thread by Nutsster on his restoration he did a great job). I'm not sure if any of them have modified their tracks with reinforcements but some have probably considered it.

Teeoster

Welcome, sounds like your on the right track to fixing up you machine. If you intended use is other than deep powder, I would stick with you current grousers. Just a few days ago I finished straightening out all 108 of mine. Big hammer and a Big vise did the trick. I made a simple fixture to check then as I went along. I just dropped them off at a heat treaters to normalize them and give then a light case hardening. Next will be the Galvanizer's. Seems like you have to commit to being a master fabricator in the old snow cat world. I have located allot of parts like window trim and suspension parts if you are in need as well.
If you want I can fly up to have you show me how your machine performs in moose hunting operations:)

John

IMP

Site Supporter
After reading some of the threads in this forum Im beginning to think I am on the wrong track. Over and over its mentioned how weak the C-4 drive is. Also mentioned is how under powered Imps are. Just looking the Imp over you can see its not a real durable rig. But I have a good start on it already so I will finish it. My Imp driving experience is limited to few miles, but it was fun. Last winter I completely restored the the engine and cooling system. (Except It needs a new carburator) not sure what to get. Then replaced all 8 leaf springs. also all new wheel hub bearings & seals, and New steering master and slave cylinders. My grousers are really beat up, 20% are cracked or cracking. I will probably salvage the center tire guide and weld on new material for the fix. (unless someone out there has a better idea). As you can see from the moose meat photo we haul pretty big loads through steep and mucky terraine. My hunting buddy has a Bombardieer J5. It is one heck of a moose hauling machine. You want to go moose hunting? heres the deal. You find me a good deal on a clean J5 and bring it with you on your way north and Ill take you on a moose trip of a life time with it.http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/images/smilies/g0606/blahblah.gif
:blahblah:

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 230
  • moose load06.JPG
    moose load06.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 227

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I look at snowcats I see them as being able to be divided up into a few rough groupings. Powder machines on one end of the spectrum and muskeg tractors on the other end of the spectrum. The Bombardier J5 is of the muskeg type that will handle all sorts of terrain from rocky ground to snow without a whimper. The Thiokol IMP is probably in the middle of the spectrum but definately more at home in the snow than on rough ground.

If you are planning on using the IMP as a rough ground machine then I think you'll probably beat it up pretty good, but if your hunting is in the snow then I think you'll be happy with it. Realize that the OC4 is "weak" when compared to an OC12, but also realize that Pixie uses her IMP to pull logs to maintain her woodlot and I suspect that a decent size log is the same weight as a cleaned out moose??? The IMP is not the little tank that the J5 is, but then again, it does have an enclosed cabin and will provide a lot more comfort!

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have owned both an Imp with an OC4 and a LMC with the OC12. In the Imp chassis there is nothing wrong with the OC4. If you want to plow snow or pull a large drag in an Imp or older Spryte with the OC4, then I would consider upgrading to a later model snow cat such as a Super Imp with an OC12. The OC12 steering and performance is superior to the OC4 as it is a much newer design and made to do the heavier tasks such as grooming. Do not be disappointed with the OC4 as it will work well for most tasks in the Imp chassis. You need to remember with strength comes weight, the more metal in a design the more strength and durability in most equipment and the Imp is a very capable, and lightweight great SNOW cat.:thumb:

Even with 30 inches of new snow it was never stuck or left us stranded. The Imp just keeps performing and will never be an obsolete snow cat just an aged and proven design.
Bill

P2290036.JPG