• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

turbo

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with (DON'T LAUGH) an electric turbo??? My small wimpy cat has a two cyl 40hp engine in it. I have been reading up on these motors from across the pond, a couple people have installed this turbo on the car these engines are in with excellent results. They claim their fuel mileage went from 50 to 55 mpg and their 0-60 times are alot faster. not that i will be racing my cat but in deep snow the power will be handy. :confused: :blahblah: :yum: :yum:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes it is wow that is not the price they were advertising over their??? They said 20 pounds which would be 30-40$ plus 20$ shipping looks like the same unit though?? any suggestions???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That sounds pretty cheap if it works . Let me know what you decide and how well it works if you get one . I would love to add about 40 more horsepower to my little snow cat too . I produce a whopping 87 horsepower under idea conditions .I don't think I will ever be in idea conditions though .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I think their would be timing and fuel supply issues.
Why? The way I understand blowers is that they simply increase the air pressure in the cylinders by increasing the amount of air in them. Superchargers and turbochargers do the same thing, but do it slightly differently. Essentially they make the engine act as if the atmospheric pressue is higher than it is, and on snowcat (or tractors) that are used at high elevations where air is thin, then the blower (no matter how its driven) could be a real boost to the power curve and I don't see how it would effect the timing or fuel flow. :confused2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mbsieg said:
I do not think it will add 40hp on a 40 hp machine???????
No I do not think so also . I used to have a turbo on my corvette and it raised the horsepower about 50% or in my little snowcats situation 40 horsepower . You might gain 15 or 20 but I doubt more than that without tearing her guts out . The heads could never handle it .

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder if it has some form of adjustment so you can dial in the pressure? That would be ideal.

I was just theorizing on the fuel and timing issues. You're probably right about it not mattering that much.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
I wonder if it has some form of adjustment so you can dial in the pressure? That would be ideal.

I was just theorizing on the fuel and timing issues. You're probably right about it not mattering that much.

I would think that about 8 pounds of boost would be just right . Of course you want a motor that has about 8 1/2 compression to pull this off . Most turbos have a adjustable waste gate to bring the pressure into line .

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do not think this thing will produce 8psi it looks like a squirrel cage fan with a 12v motor on it.

Last edited:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Write a guideElectric superchargers
by: motoman22( 81)
190 out of 198 people found this guide helpful.
Guide viewed: 8775 times Tags: electric | supercharger | boost | turbo | turbocharger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electric 'superchargers' will not provide boost on an automobile engine and will most likely rob a good running engine of high-RPM power by RESTRICTING airflow.

Consider for a moment what a supercharger must do to increase power. It must actually PUSH more air into the motor than it draws in naturally. Creating boost means moving a large volume of air (CFM) at increased pressure (PSI.) Most of these on eBay are nothing more than bilge exhaust fans designed for use on inboard boats. They might *seem* to move a lot of air but you honestly have no point of refrence, you don't know how much the motor sucks naturally. I assure you, it's substancially more than a plastic fan can provide.

Small true superchargers like the Eaton M-90 push only a small volume of air for a boost application. However, this small supercharger will push MORE boost than a commercial quality, gas-powered, backpack leaf blower and I'm sure we've all seen what they can do. Toss an electric vent fan like these into the comparison and you have effectively brought a rubberband to a gunfight.

How can an electric blower actually rob power? Simply put, the electric fan cannot push as much air as the motor demands at high RPM so the engine has to not only suck air but it also has to pull the fan faster than it's already moving.

Notice that few of the electric 'supercharger' auctions will provide the Boost @ CFM rating of the fan and that's for good reason. Simple math can determine the point at which they ROB power from YOUR engine if you simply know the size of your engine.

If electric fans could boost a car engine, manufacturers would be doing it. To increase power on a budget consider underdrive pulleys or a K&N air filter or an upgraded muffler/catalytic converter setup. Simply cleaning the junk out of your car and reducing weight will have more impact on your performance than a bilge fan. what do yall think I found this on good ole ebay???:pat: :pat: :horsepoop:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I still wonder if it would work on something small like a SnowTrac's VW engine or my 26hp Diesel Tractor engine. As the article suggests it probably won't work on a big engine but they could work on smaller engines.

I'm tempted to give it a try. It would be nice to give the old tractor a little oomph when I'm cutting the tall grass.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
It would be a net energy loss due to the need to run a bigger alternator to charge the battery that must drive the "blower". (Perpetual motion machine?)

These electric blowers are a scam, plane and simple.

mlang2005

Turbo charging a vw has been done for years with great results in sand rails. I have done a few my self, with good results. In my opinion it is one of the most reliable ways to boost power without sacrficing reliability, but there are a few issues to deal with when you turbo a carburated engine, such as a high psi fuel pump, fuel psi regulater that is boost sensitive, jetting and we always had to add double valve springs to keep the valves shut. A guy on a budget can turbo one himself for around $400. using a turbo from a wrecking yard and buying all the other stuff new, some exhaust modifications at the collector, some plumbing and tuning. We ran a single carb to keep it simple, we had 40lbs of boost below the carb so I dont see any reason to run dual carbs. A guy like Bob can order every thing you need in a kit from CB performance her in CA but it isnt real cheap. While your at it Bob could get the fuel injection kit it eliminates most of the obsticals.
I heard of a guy who turbo charged a vw with his gas powerd leaf blower?
Didnt see it for myself but was an interesting idea.