• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SNO CAT ID?

GYPSY

Stumbled onto a AKTIV ST4 this weekend with a different cab than I have seen pictured on this site. It has what I would call a half cab big enough for the driver and maybe 2 passengers on a sideways right seat. The "bed" looked like it was designed to be inward facing benches big enough for maybe 4 more people. Can someone point me toward more specs especially weight and horsepower. I assume it is powered by a VW engine and transaxle. The name plate said AKTIV, FISHER A B, ST4, #2309.
Thanks

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
There were several variations of the cabin that were made.

Here are 4 advertisements that show some differences, and none of them are the full cabin units that are commonly found.

The Advertisement from Alaska shows a front windshield area that his hard, but a canvas enclosed rear area. The two advertisements from Norway show open and short cab configurations. Even in the hard top configuration there was a tall cabin and a standard cabin, plus there was the A.N.A.R.E. custom built reverse sloped windshield cabin.

AdvertisementAlaska.jpg

Attachments

• Advertisement Open Top2.JPG
    Advertisement Open Top2.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 1957brosjyre.jpg
    1957brosjyre.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,398
  • Brochure2Snow Master.gif
    Brochure2Snow Master.gif
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,311

GYPSY

It doesn't look like any of the above. Clostst might be the last picture if it had a hard top. Are replacement tires and track rollers available?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did the cabin look like this? This is a standard short cabin. It was most commonly found on the Snow Master ST4B verison but there were some Snow Trac ST4s with this short cabin also.

This one belongs to one of our members.

Attachments

• bungartzt7.jpg
    bungartzt7.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,309

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Gypsy
I also sent you some pics of a ST4 unit for sale in Colorado that has the pick up style cab. Check your private messages for the pics......

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GYPSY said:
The name plate said AKTIV, FISHER A B, ST4, #2309.
. . .
Bob - that's the model.
That cab is pretty common on the Snow Master, but it also was available on the Snow Trac. The Snow Master had longer & wider tracks, some (like the one in the above photo) also had hydraulics for grooming implements.

By the way serial number 2309 would indicate that it was made in 1980 and is a Snow Trac, not a Snow Master . . . at least that is based on the data I have, and it may not be 100% reliable. It should be roughly 40hp. The fact that the name plate said ST4 and not ST4B is also indicitive of the fact that it is probably a Snow Trac.

GYPSY

It looked like the last photo above and had a removable hydraulic winch that could be pinned front or rear.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Was it a wide track? What was the condition? Do you think it was a good value based on the price/condition?