• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone know much about this model?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I call it the Dupont overhaul. Franc, spend the extra and find one w/ a front loader on it. With you having acreage the front loader will be more useful than you think. Also if you plan to pull that type mower find one w/ independent PTO or put an overrun clutch on the mower shaft, otherwise when you want to stop or slow down you're also trying to stop the mower from turning.
Mike

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you got any hills on the ranch , I would be looking at a 4wd unit . Plowing snow with a 2wd means you will chain it up . Its about $500 around here for a good set of tractor chains . Paint hides a lot of wear and tear and you get what you pay for . I would seriously look at Kioti or something like that . Low interest rates and it comes with a warranty . I will never buy a used tractor again . Been there and done that and it has always cost me more money in the long run .

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
First, I really don't give a shit about the paint job and am a bit offended others would suggest that is why I am interested.

Secondly, I have two front loaders now. One is on a 9N Ford with a Dearborn framed loader and the other is a 360 Case track dozer with a Davis Back Hoe. The paint on both of them is well pateined and they run fine. Any paint on a working tractor will be scratched so it is of little concern to me. this has decent rubber and large enough HP for the task.

BTW the Dozer can go any damm where it wants. Hills, trees, rocks,..... anywhere.

Four wheel drive diesel is what I want but this is in my price range for mowing the Pasture! And the Dearborn will likely fit it with some simple mods. I have had great luck with used cars trucks and tractors. And really don't have, or want to pay out, $20K or more to have new stuff. It'll just get stolen.

Now, This model 2000 Ford tractor, has anyone had any experieice with that .

Last edited:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Franc.........I had its larger brother (3000) in the diesel version when I bought the land to build my house on 20 years ago.

That's a early 70's model you're looking at. While its diesel version is more desirable, that should be a great upgrade from a 8-9n.

You may get live pto (it was an option on the 2000) but do get live hyd so the clutch can be in & the 3 pt will still lift.

Really the 2,3, & 4000 series were just upgrades & modernizations of the basic late 50-60's ford ag series tractors.

The brakes were never their strong point (if you're used to 8-9N brakes) you know what I mean.

They were tough well built little tractors & just look over the basics you would on any used machine before buying to make sure they're in good working order.

I used my 3000 for several years, painted it & got more than I gave for it when I sold it & upgraded to my TC33D which I bought new.

Parts are readily available & aren't too expensive.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc.........I had its larger brother (3000) in the diesel version when I bought the land to build my house on 20 years ago.

That's a early 70's model you're looking at. While its diesel version is more desirable, that should be a great upgrade from a 8-9n.

You may get live pto (it was an option on the 2000) but do get live hyd so the clutch can be in & the 3 pt will still lift.

Really the 2,3, & 4000 series were just upgrades & modernizations of the basic late 50-60's ford ag series tractors.

The brakes were never their strong point (if you're used to 8-9N brakes) you know what I mean.

They were tough well built little tractors & just look over the basics you would on any used machine before buying to make sure they're in good working order.

I used my 3000 for several years, painted it & got more than I gave for it when I sold it & upgraded to my TC33D which I bought new.

Parts are readily available & aren't too expensive.

Thanks for that. Yes I presumed it was an upgrade of the 601 from the fifties. I had heard of overheating issues with the 4700's of this vintage and wondered. You had no trouble with that?

My real choice would be a Yanmar 186D. Missed out on a steal two weeks ago. Tough little diesel.

There is one on E-bay but it comes with no attachments.

franc

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen I have spent a lot of time and money on my snot trac paint wasn't one of the things I was really worried about, so it got cheep enamel. it is now showing it.,if I decided to sell it tomorrow I would spring for a can of color ,and paint it again just so I could get more bucks for it and sell it fast.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Paint keeps the metal from rusting. Other than that, it has no purpose on equipment that works for a living. You should see my '95 One Ton Dodge.:whistling:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Never had a bit of trouble overheating with mine & I brush hogged a 200' row x 30' wide swath of multiflorals along the rear fence line that had grown big as trees.....found a bunch of wild cherry trees that I never knew they were there when I cleaned out the rose bushes...........lift, back up, drop brush hog, repeat........every night for a week to chop them into oblivion.........I've got some pictures somewhere........

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Paint keeps the metal from rusting. Other than that, it has no purpose on equipment that works for a living. You should see my '95 One Ton Dodge.:whistling:

I was speaking of my own experiences , not yours . Sorry I said anything . Good luck in you search .

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I was speaking of my own experiences , not yours . Sorry I said anything . Good luck in you search .

Nor worries Al. Sorry I scolded. It is just that I'm 67 years old and this ain't my first rodeo. My quest wasn't listed as anything more than info on that model Ford, in particular.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks just like the tractor on Green Acers that Mr Wipple left for Oliver to "try out"!

Do check for a Live PTO shaft. It would be well worth it to have, as once you do you won't want a tractor without it.

I think TOMLESCOEQUIP Nailed it well. Nuff said. Hope you get along well with it, should you purchase it.

Regards, Kirk