• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Starting to "can" the pickles

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The lovely Mrs_Bob was busy this morning.

We still have a 1/3 bushel of assorted cukes to do something with, plus the garden is exploding with them on a daily basis, but the first batch has been canned.

Oh, and canning peppers is on the agenda for tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 57

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet! Or do I say dill?

Bob, I hope you remembered the crisper.

Without it, flavor is good but texture sucks.

Don't ask how I know..

PS. Pack as many in a jar as you can. They seem to shrink a bit.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Lovely Mrs_Bob is doing all the work in the kitchen.

I'm coaching a local fencing camp at the high school this week during the morning/early afternoon. I'm working with the other coach at the high school, along with volunteers from our team, to host a week long camp. The goal is to introduce kids to the sport and recruit them to join the high school team, if possible. So when I got home today I found most of the mess had already been cleaned up and all the hard work was already done! I love my wife! She is using a pre-packed mix for the recipe. Not sure if it has crisper in it or not.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love my wife! She is using a pre-packed mix for the recipe. Not sure if it has crisper in it or not.
I love your wife too but the pre-packaged don't necessarily come with the crisper. Mrs. Wages comes to mind as one that may not come with it. We did something like 40-70 quarts to find out after the fact that there is no crisper. The pickles have a nice flavor but are soggy.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will pass along this information to the lovely Mrs_Bob.

EDIT:
I mentioned the CRISPER to the lovely Mrs_Bob. She said the mix she is using is from the same company that made the mix. She said she "THINKS" that the pickle mix contained the crisper.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let us know after you open a quart.

BTW, what are all the colorful dots on your pickle lids?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm not sure the crisper was included in the mix.

Not being a big fan of dill pickles I opted to open one of the small pepper jars. Fried some peppers up with some ham and some eggs for breakfast. Not much crunch to them. Not mush either. But there should be a bit more body that there is in these pepper slices. So for the next batch I'll make sure we have some of the "crisper" added.

Looking forward to a batch of sweet pickles made with pickles, onions & various peppers. Maybe even toss in some cauliflower?

Umberto

I did these beet pickles today using the Blue Ball Book recipe.

FullSizeRender_8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I did these beet pickles today using the Blue Ball Book recipe.

FullSizeRender_8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ah man, I love pickled beets.

I must admit that we haven't canned anything in about 10 years. Back then I had a huge, productive garden, worked at it continuously and had more produce than I knew what to do with. I used to deliver produce up to the kitchen door in the tractor FEL and DARE my wife to do something with it. She usually did. What she couldn't handle we gave to the local churches.

You can probably tell that I'm missing my garden. This is the first time in 35 years that I haven't had one. Health issues this spring totally scuppered it. I'm already in the planning phase for next year. It's not going to happen again. I really miss those vine ripened heritage tomatoes.

Umberto

I belong to a CSA and get more beets than I know what to do with. I'm nt eating the potatoes so took them to church last Sunday. They provide fresh produce to a homeless facility.

Here's the beet pickle recipe I use. They come out naturally crisp.

Adapted from a recipe by Greg Higgins, a Portland, Oregon chef and restauranteur.

Quick and easy.

----------

4 quarts of pickling cucumbers rinsed well
16 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
4 heads of fresh pickling dill, halved
about 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 quart cider vinegar
1 quart water
1/4 cup pickling spices
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup chopped fresh pickling dill

Wash two half-gallon, 4 quart or 8 pint jars. Keep hot untill needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.

Pack the cucumbers into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Divide the sliced pieces of garlic and halved heads of fresh pickling dill among the jars. Add a pinch (about 1/8 of a teaspoon) of the dried red pepper flakes to each jar.

Prepare the brine by combining the vinegar, water, pickling spices, salt, sugar, turmeric and 1 cup of chopped fresh dill in a non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off the seasonings from the brine and ladle the hot brine into a jar at a time, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Let cool to room temp, then store in the refrigerator. The pickles are ready to use after three or four days of aging, but they will continue to improve further for several weeks. They will keep, refrigerated, for about a year.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Ah man, I love pickled beets.

I must admit that we haven't canned anything in about 10 years. Back then I had a huge, productive garden, worked at it continuously and had more produce than I knew what to do with. I used to deliver produce up to the kitchen door in the tractor FEL and DARE my wife to do something with it. She usually did. What she couldn't handle we gave to the local churches.

You can probably tell that I'm missing my garden. This is the first time in 35 years that I haven't had one. Health issues this spring totally scuppered it. I'm already in the planning phase for next year. It's not going to happen again. I really miss those vine ripened heritage tomatoes.

When I had my garden I was the same. I miss gardening living in an apartment.

I think even with my arthritis as bad as it is if I had a chance to move into a house again I'd do it so I could have a garden again. I'd figure out a way to do it.

Umberto

Some areas have community gardens where one can rent a plot to plant produce.
You probably knew that. I imagine the gardening would help with the arthritis, as well.

Today I happened on a feral marion berry bush and picked en ought berries for two pies. The black berries are on and should get after them, too. I've got some pies promised to friends.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
There is just nothing around here like that. Our complex has a very nice court yard that few use. I suggested a couple years ago that we should start a community garden. The management put a stop to that notion immediately, they claimed it would attract rodents and other vermin.

I will say this though, this Sunday in the park across the street from me the city is putting on it's first ever farmers market, so I will see what kind of produce they have.

Umberto

Let us know after you open a quart.

BTW, what are all the colorful dots on your pickle lids?

Those are Ball lids that had fruit printed on them. I've not seen them in years. Ball used to make different patterns for lids and rings but haven't seen that in awhile. Now they are making blue and green jars again, albeit pricy.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom found that Ball is now making different color lids and rings. I think she came home with red and blue ones.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom found that Ball is now making different color lids and rings. I think she came home with red and blue ones.

Does she also have some of the antique green and blue jars that they are selling again too?

BY THE WAY is anyone using any of the RE-usable lids from Tattler? I've not tried them.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have a couple old blue jars but don't use them for canning. They just hang out.

I have some of the tattler lids but haven't used them yet. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I just have so many of the single-use that I want to use a bunch of those up first.

Umberto

I have some old blue jars that were my grandmother's and some I bought ar a garage sale, even have the sink lids with rubber rings. I still use the jars.

I'll have to check the hardware store for the new lids and rings. I still have unopened quilted pattern rings.

Here's a refer beet pickle I'll make this weekend. I'm not sure about this but will try them once.

http://mypantryshelf.com/2012/03/22/pickled-beets-with-cumin/

Umberto

I bought way too many cukes yesterday so will be making a double batch of refer dills, double or triple batch of bread and butter's, and at least one batch of Homecook's refrigerator sweet pickles.

I'll try and take pictures.