• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

gooseneck hitch

cj7

Anyone tow with a gooseneck?

What brand and style of hitch do you have?

Pros and cons?

Looking to buy a hitch for my truck and not sure if I want a pop up ball or a removable that two rails stay in the bed.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
A good friend had the "pop up" installed at a trailer supply . He loves it . When it flips down out of the way he has the whole bed to use . I don't know the brand . This is on his 2005 Dodge .

Al

Tact

I use a B&W hidden trailer hitch in my Ford F250. It has , I believe, a 25K lb. rating. When not in use I turn the ball over and it fits flush with the truck bed and out of the way.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had the hidden hitch in my F350.
One advantage of a gooseneck, not many can borrow your trailer. :)

cj7

One advantage of a gooseneck, not many can borrow your trailer. :)

LOL.. yeah true. But I have a 16' one for that. I end up driving anyway! Cause they need the truck too!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My truck has a 10" piece of channel turned legs down under my truck bed that is welded onto the top of the frame rails on either side. There is also triangle pieces of 1/4" welded on either side of the channel inside the frame rails for support. In the center of the bed there is about a 3" circle cut out of the truck bed floor and the nut for the hitch is welded into a hole cut into the channel. The ball for the gooseneck is then screwed into the threads that are in the center of the truck bed floor. It's a home made rig, but it is certainly stronger than the truck frame and the ball can be unscrewed; well at least in theory. I seemed to have gotten a bit carried away the last time I screwed the ball in with my 4' pipe wrench. I think it may take King Kong with a 6' pipe wrench to get that ball out now. :eek: