• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1450 First Run ... Noise ? Vibration ? Steering?

rockhead

So I got my 1450 out for a quick test yesterday and am wondering how much noise and vibration is 'normal' for these. The snow was not deep, about a foot so not really enough to completely float on. The noise level was not painful but loud enough that earmuff hearing protection would be good. I had hoped to make the cab quiet enough to use a stereo in, am I delusional or do I need to hunt down something that is making vibration.

Steering left is gentle and smooth, steering to the right seems to do nothing until it bites hard and wants to turn very quickly. suggestions ?

snow in the tracks will smooth things out/noise will calm down------drain fluid in steering diff----flush with kero---and refill with fluid for wet brakes----my friend bought a bombi and we are going to flush it and refill with wet brake hyd. oil----just so we know we have the right fluid

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
so many variables, but for what it is worth I listen to a radio in the green imp in my signature while grooming.

I have an annoying body to rear bumper noise that comes and goes depending on conditions.

I can hear a loose wheel guide or two if I listen for them. door has to be open, snow needs to be packed.

My exhaust is just right, nicely muffled

I got rid of my intake noise by running the filter outside.

remember, it is a steel box on a rigid chassis. it was built in a much less regulated time to preform work. ( in shitty conditions)

rockhead

Re: 1450 Second Run --- Vibration ? Steering?

Ok so more snow and hearing protection, it seemed better but still kind of lumpy/bumpy, perhaps that's just track rolling around sprockets :unsure:

Still haven't changed the diff oil, wanted to get it warm or hot. Had an odd drifting to the right phenomenon that settled after half a mile, like it was dragging continuously. Is that likely just having been idle forever and getting loosened up in cold weather ?

PJL

The 1200 I run is quieter on snow, that being said it's too loud to have a conversation while driving it. The engine noise is the worst. We had to have an intercom system installed.

You definitely need to change the oil and adjust the steering bands.

rockhead

Wellllll, from the Captain Obvious files . . .
I just noticed that my exhaust is a frikkin straight pipe :bolt: It is surprising quiet at idle:bonk: I guess I'll bag it a muffler and then really hear what is going on :yum:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
The 1450 is different than most cats in that it has a sprocket with only 9 teeth. This is generally considered the absolute minimum number of teeth that can be used in a drive train. Generally 12 or 13 teeth are considered good design for a pinion. With less than 12 teeth, whether in a chain sprocket or gear drive, there are too few teeth engaged at any given time, and the pitch circle has too few divisions. This creates a ”bumping" effect in the system, which is probably part of what you are experiencing. As the grousers go around the sprocket, the track tension changes greatly because the grouser pitch is a high percentage of the sprocket diameter. Nikson had the same issue with his 1450. The grousers also bump as they go around the small hard rubber idler wheel. LMC corrected a lot of these problems in the 1500 by using a higher number of sprocket teeth and a front idler the same size as the bogies.
The 1402 and 1404 both had a 12 tooth sprocket. Don't know why they went to 9 on the 1450 unless they needed to lower the gear ratio.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I got my 1450 out for a quick test yesterday and am wondering how much noise and vibration is 'normal' for these. The snow was not deep, about a foot so not really enough to completely float on. The noise level was not painful but loud enough that earmuff hearing protection would be good. I had hoped to make the cab quiet enough to use a stereo in, am I delusional or do I need to hunt down something that is making vibration.

Steering left is gentle and smooth, steering to the right seems to do nothing until it bites hard and wants to turn very quickly. suggestions ?

Like Jeff (Turbinator) said - i've had the same questions back few years once got mine working... I tried even dropping the tire pressure to see how that will affect as I didnt go with foamfill after restoration.

On that point - Jeff is pretty right on all the points mentioned, the only way I've found to get a smoother ride - hit the powder as much as possible, with that said - although the rear sprocket's size issue makes sense, I remember my 1450 to be great comfort as long as I stayed in 1 1/2-2ft of powder, ride was just like on a boat with a smooth water...

Steering levers being different - few of my suggestions...

Make sure that both tracks are similarly tensioned, as that will help with even-ing out the way it rides in the first place... more slack on the track, easier it should turn while underpowered (like rolling down the hill without giving it much throttle on its own)...

If tracks tension is set right, you got to loosen up the brake band's tension on the master's all the way - and tighten them in the same manner (considering that they are worn out same as well tho) - all this comes from my personal experience as a fresh start with new bands...

Obviously, make sure that you got functioning slave cylinders on steer controls, and they are blead without air pockets...

Ooooff... good lucks... (got me excited thinking of all that work) :th_lmao: