Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Vehicles > Campers / Motorhomes Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,248 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Camp life

So the thought occurred to me that some may wonder how someone with mobility problems can go on any kind of vacation with a camper. In short, here's how it's done.

First, I can't walk far. It depends on the day, the weather, and many other factors on how far I can walk or drive. So it helps to have a troop full of kids to do the heavy lifting such as carrying levelling blocks etc. My camper has a power tongue lift. So if you're strong enough to push a button you can hook up and unhook. My camper has manual levelling jacks. So, to solve that I put on a matching drill bit onto my cordless dewalt impact drill. Voila! Power jacks.

Now, as I said I struggle to walk more than 100ft most days. So rather than restricting myself I have a Bruno chariot scooter lift to go on the back of the vehicle or trailer. I now have the ability to bring my mobility scooter along on rv trips.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (07-18-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,248 Posts
NorthernRedneck will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Camp life

So part of the joys of camping is having a proper hitch setup for towing. Last summer when we did our trip out to Manitoba then down into the states, I had a 750lb tongue capacity hitch and bars. It did alright but was maxed out as the camper tongue weight is somewhere over 700lbs.

This spring, I decided to upgrade to a 1000lb hitch and bars. The hitch was more than adequate last weekend hauling in the hills going to geraldton. However, some adjustments were necessary. First, even at its lowest hole on the shank, the hitch was still a bit too high when hooked up. This made it a$$ heavy on the trailer which reduced tongue weight on the yukon making it unstable at anything over 100km with no wind or 85km with a side wind.

I had ordered a friction sway control this spring but didn't have time to install it. As well, the shank on the hitch had 6 holes. I was already on the bottom. So I picked up a new shank with 8 holes. Now the hitch sits about 2" lower. This should increase tongue weight and improve stability. I also installed the friction sway control bar. How it works is a small secondary ball is mounted to both the trailer frame and hitch head. The friction sway control bar mounts to both balls and is held on by two lock clips. I don't have the bars installed in the picture but you get the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernRedneck For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (07-20-2017)