• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New addition to the family .........

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Meet "Luna", brought her home last night. She's a 8 month old yellow lab that a female college student going to class, working and finances just made it tough on her. You can tell time spent with her was limited. She minds "OK" but doesn't meet my expectations hence the training collar. She is a ball of fire and can't keep still. I caught her off guard when she came up on the porch and she froze at the sight of the camera and I got a quick shot and then a shot in her normal mode.

Attachments

• P1010577.jpg
    P1010577.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 114
  • P1010578.jpg
    P1010578.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 116

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great pic and I love that look. Our Annie (Yellow Lab) looks just like her. Even at 8 years old she just doesn't stop running. So you got about two years yet of everything in site being chewed up. Have fun with her :thumb:

dzalphakilo

Banned
Nice looking dog BD.

If you don't already have one, get a "chuck it" from a pet supply store and see if you can get Luna into fetching. With the chuck it, you'll be able to throw a tennis ball a lot further than with your arm (with the right size kong ball for the chuck it, you'll be able to go past 100 yards easily). You may find that you can "speed up" the process of tuckering her out (AKA lots of exercise) which is what that dog wants.

One other trick we've learned with positive reinforcement is with keeping small treats in a can or jar. By shaking the can or jar with treats in it (making that unique sound) and then giving the dog a treat right after the behavior your looking for is achieved, the dog learns when it hears that sound (treats "banging" in the jar or can) that you're looking for a particular behavior. Sort of like the "clicking" training meathod, however, with older non-trained dogs, this seems to catch on a lot quicker with the animal.

Last edited:

BoneheadNW

One other trick we've learned with positive reinforcement is with keeping small treats in a can or jar. By shaking the can or jar with treats in it (making that unique sound) and then giving the dog a treat right after the behavior your looking for is achieved, the dog learns when it hears that sound (treats "banging" in the jar or can) that you're looking for a particular behavior. Sort of like the "clicking" training meathod, however, with older non-trained dogs, this seems to catch on a lot quicker with the animal.
Works for kids (and adults) too! Just ask my wife, who homeschools my kids.
Bone

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
She is a ball of fire and can't keep still.

Another 5 months of that! :eek: Actually, I can't complain at all: "Goldie" is pretty content as long as she gets to some good excercise a few times a day, and has a few rawhides and toys to keep her attention when by herself. She does get a bit obstenant when she want's to go a different direction than you're calling her [cats or whatever else her nose picks up] or releasing some dead thing that she insist is better than her dog food, but seems to be slowly coming around.

Luna looks like a perfect addition to the "Big Dog" family! :thumb: