• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Track Material?

IMP

Site Supporter
Has anyone used conveyor material for track belting? I can buy a 3 ply cold rated conveyor belt material for one quarter cost of the track belting purchased from FallLine. The conveyor material looks like a good quality product but I dont know if its intended to be used in this way. Another option is a local vendor sells a PVC/ fiberglass woven belting that will not stretch, rot or UV degrade. The draw back is its only rated to -20 and it cracks. I would really like to hear from anyone who has experience or advise on building tracks for an IMP 1404 WT. Thanks. TF

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Low temperature conveyor belting is what many belting suppliers do in fact sell as 'Track' material and it works well. The belting suppliers will even punch it for you.

Teeoster

IMP,

Let me know what you come up with on this one, I need to buy all new 8" belting for my IMP also. Getting Stainless Steel lacing also seeme to be the way to go.

Vance

My Tucker is reported to have conveyor belting running on it. Seems to work fine. I'll have to check the number of plies and take some pics when I get home.

Vance

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You typically have 110 220 and 330. Real light Snowcats like the Snow Tracs / Masters, Kristis ect can get away with 110. Slightly heavier 220. The big boys need at least 330. I plan on running with 110 on my Snow Master. There is a Goodyear dealer in Sparks Nevada that deals with belting. They will cut to the exact length and width. They will even punch the holes if you dont have the time.

Teeoster

Anyone know what is most commonly used on IMP's? What are the ply and load ratings of the 110, 220, 330?

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
1 ply is 110 2 ply 220 ect ect. Dont recall the load settings off hand though.

We need a seperate thread on belting. I am starting to get really slammed at work and dont have the time to tackle a seperate thread at this moment. Maybe someone can step up and do some research for the group?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The ratings are 110,220,330 means per inch of width of the belt. 10 inch wide 220 can handle 2200 pounds of pull. on some of the big heavy machines we are building 900# ply belting. for most of all of the lighter snow cats three ply is enough. if you can not find belting. let us know we build for most cats.

AlaskanST4

IMP -

I have found that used conveyor belting such as a coal belt from a powerplant or a coal mine works great. The used belt will not stretch and is plenty tough enough. We have made 3 sets of tracks and often use our machines well below zero with no problems. Remember to be very careful if you are making your own holes in the belting, a little error can turn into a big problem.