• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Machete? NO!!! ~ Woodsman's Pal? YES!!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From time to time I hear of see discussions about people wanting to buy, or discussing machetes they purchased.

I'm not a fan of the traditional machete, perhaps because I live on a modest amount of land and have had to cut paths and roadways through light woods. I think there is a far more useful tool on the market than the traditional machette.

Its the Woodsman's Pal:

newlogo6.gif

The tool is available in a basic form and a deluxe form. Its got a branch hook on the back, a stout machete blade on the front, a think enough blade for prying. It can be used for light chopping instead of an axe, its suitable for hacking brush and for stripping bark.

There are several sources on the internet, including Amazon.com, Gemplers.com and the manufacturer's website => The Original WOODMAN'S PAL Machete

Best of all its American made and a long proven design. I keep one on my tractor and use it frequently.

Here is the DELUXE version:
284-3.jpg

BELOW: Long Handle version:
145.jpg

BELOW: Basic Version (this is what I use):
481.jpg

They even offer a JUNIOR version that is smaller that the basic version but has a handle similar to the DELUXE version.

I've had one of their basic versions for a couple years and can recommend it as a useful tool that does what it is designed to do. My original discussion is buried here in the Forum Forum archives, I've really come to appreciate this tool for what it can do over the last couple of years. If you are considering a machete, consider instead a Woodsman's Pal. JMO

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
That's so gay!! I can't believe you'd want one. :yum:

Um, get the one with the leather string on the grip. I almost lost one of mine when I missed a branch and it went flying into the woods. :whistling:

I may buy another one. I keep one in my motorcoach in case I need to whack a branch or two when backing into a camp site and another in my tractor in case I need to take care of a branch that may hit my cab. I think I'd like one to put in my Takeuchi track loader as well. No need for the excavator; I just tear everything down that gets in the way with it.

BTW, I pretty well use mine as an axe when need be. I've cut branches 6" or so off trees to clear my tractor cab. Not too hard to sharpen either and seems to hold an edge well. Between those and my Fiskars, my wife and I do battle with Kudzu each spring around our woodline.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's so gay!! I can't believe you'd want one. :yum:
I don't want one, I own one :flowers:

But I agree with you they are great tools. I know they've been discussed here before, that is how I found out about them, but that thread is so old I figured I'd post a new one since I have been using mine lately and I'm still happy with the design of this tool. Simple, effective.

mak2

I was not going to say anything. But anywhere besides the jungle a machete is completely worthless. Spending as much time as I have out in the boonies the second most worthless thing is a hand ax. Wanna clear a road or a modest amount of land, rent a Bobcat. Hehe. I bought a hand axe when I was a kid, never found a damn thing it was good for in the woods. Could make an argument for an E tool.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got one for clearing brush up state and they are made in my back yard (well almost 10 miles away)

tom

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've got the "deluxe" model.
it lives in the truck - and has seen quite a bit of use over the years.

SShepherd

I use one of these when I cut shooting lanes or want to clean up a small area on my property

ftobh-fg.jpg

same thing....just on steroids:wink:

loboloco

My Gawd, that thing looks like a true mutt. I use machetes for light brush, Bush axe for medium, and an axe or hatchet for wood. If it gets too thick I whistle up a dozer.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
screw those toys when i have to brush a trail through the willows i get out my trusty stihl trimmer with the brush blade on it it cuts through 6 inch willow stumps like hot butter. and no back fatiuge