• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Got to love Air Tools

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've been busy and not been on the forums much, other than to pop in and post a thread then leave.

Lots of "honey do" yard projects going on at the house right now, which includes some major digging (hired a crew of 3, they have moved over 100 dump truck loads (32,000 GVW truck) of soil so far. Probably another 35 to 50 more loads to move. But as they move and dump it, then I have been doing a reasonable amount of finish grading it with my tractor.

Blew a rear tire and that put a halt to the progress. I was dreading trying to take it off, not just because its heavy, but because its a pain in the rear end breaking the studs free.

Buried in the back of the workshop was an old Sears Craftsman 3/8th inch air impact wrench. Probably one of their lower priced models, but no matter what its better than trying by hand. So I dig it out, fire up the compressor and steel my mind for some frustration. To my pleasant surprise I hit the switch, heard the hammering for about 1.5 seconds and the stud free spun out another second later. Heck its 90 degrees and humid outside and I got that first one off without breaking a sweat. 7 more came off just as easily. :biggrin:

Not only was I surprised, but it took all of about a minute to get that wheel/tire off the tractor. :clap:

Now if only I could get someone to stop over here and help me lift it into the back of the truck :doh:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i normaly break down the big ones on the the tractor and remove them with heavy wheel still on the tractor its a lot less work. you may also find it moore cost evective in the long run to call a tire shop to send out a truck to make the repair on site i remember when working for moa in anchorage they charged like 40 bucks to come out and repair a 22inch comercial truck tire and they would be done in about 15 minutes

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This tire was NOT loaded.

Lost all the air, bead separated from the rim. Same thing happened to me one time a few years ago (probably why I bought the impact wrench).

Took it to the Goodyear shop and the fixed it for me no charge. Hopefully that will happen again this time!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"No man shall have a air compressor without an impact" ---- Big Dawg Esq. III

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I dont beleive I,ve ever seen a 3/8 inch impact , unless a air rachet . Sure it wasn,t a half or 3/4 inch . Just askin . :biggrin:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Amen to that BD, couldn't live without one around here. I also have a small one but operates great for impact tools, spray painting as well as airing up tires from bicycles to cars. It also comes in handy when cleaning guns after using gun scrubber and CLP. Just a tool I can't live with out. I also have a grinder/sander that works with compressed air as well as a smaller wrench for smaller stuff.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well i normaly dis mount the tire with the wheel still on the rig if you need to seat thhe bead there is a bead blaster can that will seat the bead for you if you are good a few precise squirts fron starting fluid and lighter can get the same thing done but one must be careful as you can get hurt if you don't know what you are doing.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... if you are good a few precise squirts fron starting fluid and lighter can get the same thing done but one must be careful as you can get hurt if you don't know what you are doing.

I saw that done once. Funny as hell to watch but it did the trick and worked. Me, I'm that guy who doesn't know what he is doing, I will not be trying that trick.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
My air tools haven't impressed me that much. Not the DA sander, impact wrench or sandblaster. I haven't tried the impact on the new massive air compressor; electric is quieter :smile:

After 420+ bolts, I am thankful for my cheapo electric impact.

Attachments

• PIX420boltsW.jpg
    PIX420boltsW.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 88

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
My air tools haven't impressed me that much. Not the DA sander, impact wrench or sandblaster. I haven't tried the impact on the new massive air compressor; electric is quieter :smile:

After 420+ bolts, I am thankful for my cheapo electric impact.
pixie try out an ingrasoll rand aw 234 impact wrench you will be impressed i got mine back in the mid 80's and its still kicking along had it rebuilt once about 15 years ago had nascar guts put in to it aand to thois day it still works just as hard as most 3/4 drive impacts on the plus side i used a 24v electric impact that pluged into the nato slave plug that unit left me impressed also and it didn't weigh a ton like most 3'4 drive electric moodels do. for general work i now use a cordless dewalt with a 3/8 inch adaptor almost never use air tools smaller than 1/2 inch anymore

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Honest , I'm not trying to do a Hijack . I'd love to own a few air tolls . But, I'm limited to 115 V ,20 a service . Any suggestions as to a fairly decent compressor ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Honest , I'm not trying to do a Hijack . I'd love to own a few air tolls . But, I'm limited to 115 V ,20 a service . Any suggestions as to a fairly decent compressor ?
my question would be why are you limited to 115 most buildings have 240 for service just means you need to drop in a breaker for 240 and a plug if you get a compressor stay away from the oilless compressor and get a slpwer turning wet sump compressoor with max psi about 150 and a good 30 gallon tank craftsman makes some great garage type compressors also look at engine driven you want 10 cfm at 150 psi

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in need of a 3/4 or 1" impact as we speak. I need to get the blades off my 2 brush hogs and exchange them as the old one with the broken input shaft has all but new blades on it and the cheap but it runs one I bought last year needs new blades bad. Drove 20 miles to borrow one and they have all the one inch sockets along on the truck doing gas rig moves. My 3/4 drive set of sockets just can't do it. I had a ten ft. pipe on the breaker bar and bent the heck out of it. We used that 1" impact about 4 years ago to put the new blades on and it kicks ass. The socket is a 1 11/16 size. Need to cut a 4" hole in the latest brush hog as it has no holes to get a socket on the nuts for the blades. Too tired to mess with it anymore today!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I have a 33gallon upright Craftsman that is 115/120 volt. Its not a big heavy duty unit but its about as much capacity as you can get in that range and I'm pretty impressed with it. I used to have 2 big 208/240 units at work and they clearly had more power but for what I do at home I've usually got enough power/air flow for my needs.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions . I don't do any serious wrenching , painting ,etc . So , a 115 V compressor with decent capacity should do the trick for what I need . I'll look at what Craftsman has available .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i used one like that thhis past weekend and wasn't too impressed max psi was only 120 it was noisy and slow to recover. i would look for a wet sump compressor that spins slower that way it last's quite a bit longer and and dosn't make as much noise also you want some thing with 150 psi to get the moste out of your air tools

Trakternut

For me, it all depends on the project at hand. If I'm just cracking a few bolts with my half inch impact, or running an air ratchet for short times on a bolt, I use a 115V upright, wet sump, 30 gal compressor. If I'm gonna run my die grinder or cutoff tool, I have a second such compressor that I tie into the first one. Seldom do I run low enough on air to have to stop. Had the second compressor given to me when a neighbor moved, so that one gets used as a backup because the upright was a new purchase a number of years ago. I don't have 220V in my shop, so this is the way I have to do it.

jwstewar

I dont beleive I,ve ever seen a 3/8 inch impact , unless a air rachet . Sure it wasn,t a half or 3/4 inch . Just askin . :biggrin:

I have both a 3/8" & 1/2" impact gun. Both are Craftsman. 3/8" came with the compressor. Don't use it much, not much power. The 1/2" does pretty good. Only had the bolts on my MMM mower that I couldn't get out one time. Though it did crack 3 sockets trying to do it.:sad::yum: I've since bought impact sockets. Haven't hurt those yet.

I have the 33-gal. horizontal model (or similar). Got it probably back in '00 or '01. It has been a great little compressor. I've used it a lot. I typically keep my output regulator set at about 115-120. It maxes out at 150. Only time I've had any issue with air flow is when I was using a small die grinder to cut 5/16" rebar into 16" sections for holding landscaping timbers. Had to let it shut down and let it cool down after I realized it had been running non-stop for 45 minutes. I did change the drain valve out to a quick release lever type from the screw in/out type that was a pain to open/close.

Next time I will probably go for an oil-lubed one, but consider I got this on sale and it included the 3/8" impact, 3/8" rachet, and a few others tools for about $230, I think it has served me well and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again if I couldn't find an oil one in my price range.

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter

Please don't give him any ideas.. he doesn't need any more tools.. especially chain saws.....And yes dear, I do know that you don't need an air compressor to cut wood.

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Please don't give him any ideas.. he doesn't need any more tools.. especially chain saws.....And yes dear, I do know that you don't need an air compressor to cut wood.

:yum::yum::yum::yum:
My pet dragon ,
How do You know that I don't NEED any more tools ? Do I ever assess Your collection of hand bags , shoes , things that You bought for 50% off yet can't use ? No , because I am compassionate ,and I understand your needs . ( shopping wise ) :flowers:
You , on the other hand are cold towards my inner needs ,and have a fixation on chainsaws .
The entire reason that I asked about air compressors was to better maintain the saws that I currently own . That would make it less likely for Me to need to purchase another saw in the future . Think of it like this $3-4 hundred for a compressor to maintain the saws I have , or $5-9 hundred plus to replace a saw due to neglect .
I was only thinking of You !:whistling:
Be totally honest , have I ever mislead You regarding a tool investment ?
Everything I've ever stated that We need has proven to be true .
Okay , the Popiel Pocket fisherman franchise ,and the windshield washer recycler were kind of off target . :yum::yum:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I am in need of a 3/4 or 1" impact as we speak.

I've used this 3/4" impact for several years with great service [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-2141-4-Inch-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0002SRMUQ"]IR 2141[/ame] I haven't had it as long, but this 1/2" IR will take the lugs off my 40,000 pound coach and has always taken the center nut off my rotary cutters. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Rand-2135TiMAX-2-Inch-Impact-Wrench/dp/B000WMN2GU/ref=pd_cp_hi_1"]1/2" IR[/ame]

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
My pet dragon ,
How do You know that I don't NEED any more tools ? Do I ever assess Your collection of hand bags , shoes , things that You bought for 50% off yet can't use ? No , because I am compassionate ,and I understand your needs . ( shopping wise ) :flowers:
You , on the other hand are cold towards my inner needs ,and have a fixation on chainsaws .
The entire reason that I asked about air compressors was to better maintain the saws that I currently own . That would make it less likely for Me to need to purchase another saw in the future . Think of it like this $3-4 hundred for a compressor to maintain the saws I have , or $5-9 hundred plus to replace a saw due to neglect .
I was only thinking of You !:whistling:
Be totally honest , have I ever mislead You regarding a tool investment ?
Everything I've ever stated that We need has proven to be true .
Okay , the Popiel Pocket fisherman franchise ,and the windshield washer recycler were kind of off target . :yum::yum:

You know, I think that I will change my name to The Gullible One. :yankchain: