• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SHOPS! ~ help with 'workshop' size & design

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
What kind of a shop do you guys and gals have? There have been a few of us who have taken pictures in our shops. But not really of the shop. Some of us have temporary shops (ME) and some of us seem to have some pretty well thought out and built shops. What do you have and what are your plans. If you dont have a shop but want one give us your ideas or tell us your dream shop. :thumb: Include pictures. :weneedpic

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Re: SHOPS!

As you all know my shop is really a portable garage that was purchased at Costco for $189.00. It has actually been a pretty damn good little building which has kept the elements and other things off my Snow Master as I stored it and now as I start to rebuild it. My plan was to build a 3 car garage with extra tall and wide garage doors. I still plan on this but will be purchasing another building here shortly (if they agree upon my price) and remodeling that to fit my needs. I know I will install or build a paint booth to meet codes. A very nice over head lift system. Of course your full compliment of tools and tool boxes and all the air tools one could ever need. A sterio system along with refrigerator and microwave will fill out the list of must haves. I have left out alot of items but for now I wanted to see your ideas and get this thread going.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

SO,

Can/should this thread be moved to somewhere in the "Agriculture & rural living" section?

You may get more activity as many of our members don't visit the Snowcat sections but have some fantastic shops.

Just post if you want it moved and one of the mods will take care of it.

Brian

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Mine is 24 by 32. It was specifically built to look like a standard garage so it blends in with the property. Funny thing was I priced out a "Morton" building and the prices for that was within 1% of the price of a stick built, brick and cedar garage with insulation & drywall. I suspect as building sizes go up there might be a price advantage to the steel buildings???

Should have been much bigger. I thought I as building a big shop, ended up cramped. I have 3 garage doors, but 2 are arranged so I can drive straight through the shop from front to back, and 2 are side by side on the front wall. The garage doors are 8' tall x 9' wide, which is plenty of room to get cars or tractors in, but not big enough for campers (which I don't own).

The "working" area with workbenches is 24' by 10' adjacent to the bays. The center bay as a 4 post car lift and the ceiling above that lift is elevated so I double stack cars. I find that the floor area of the working area is often filled with tractor implements. If I had made the shop 28' by 32' there would have been enough room at the end of the bays to easily store the additional implements. I may end up building an equipment "run in shed" for some of the lesser used implements? Not this year, as the crutches already have me behind on projects! One of my goals for this summer is clean out our attached garage to make more space there and then move some stuff from the workshop to the attached garage. That will probably require moving some things to the trash pile, other things may be put into the attic?

But even if I had built a 40 x 60 shop, I'd probably be complaining that I didn't have enough room. I think we all tend to fill the space we have.

There are 5 windows in that let in a lot of light, and if working in the evening they let in a nice breeze even if the garage doors are down. The windows have screens to keep the biting bugs out while I work inside. The shop is also air conditioned. There is an attic storage area above part of the garage, it can be easily accessed by loading things onto the car lift and raising it up.

I think all these photos have been posted before. The shop sits "outside" of our dog fence so the dogs can come to the shop and still be behind the fence but I can drive into and out of the garage without having to go through any gates. There is a concrete pad in front of the 2 garage doors, but there is no driveway to get to the garage so I drive on the grass to get to it. I'm not sure if I will ever pave a driveway, the only time I need it is if I need to move a car after a heavy-soaking rain. But really there is not much traffic in/out of the garage so its not a big deal.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 191
  • Photo_120405_007.jpg
    Photo_120405_007.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Photo_120405_006.jpg
    Photo_120405_006.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Photo_120405_005.jpg
    Photo_120405_005.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 191

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter

As you all know my shop is really a portable garage that was purchased at Costco for $189.00. It has actually been a pretty damn good little building which has kept the elements and other things off my Snow Master as I stored it and now as I start to rebuild it. My plan was to build a 3 car garage with extra tall and wide garage doors. I still plan on this but will be purchasing another building here shortly (if they agree upon my price) and remodeling that to fit my needs. I know I will install or build a paint booth to meet codes. A very nice over head lift system. Of course your full compliment of tools and tool boxes and all the air tools one could ever need. A sterio system along with refrigerator and microwave will fill out the list of must haves. I have left out alot of items but for now I wanted to see your ideas and get this thread going.

If you're looking for a permanent shop for your Snow Master, found this on eBay...

Sorry, I have self-control issues.

Attachments

• 2918_3.jpg
    2918_3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 193

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BCZOOM,
Thanks I will see what I can do.

B_SKURKA,
Nice work shop. I have seen pictures from inside but not like all these here. Looks like a pretty good design. When I finally build my garage I will go deeper and wider for sure. I am thinking either 28x32 or 32x36. I need really tall doors to clear any snowcats on trailer or riding piggy back on my truck. LYNDON has a very well thought out garage that even had a pretty cool over head hoist system. I know I will have a over head hoist and a seperate area where I can paint. I will build this section just like a modern day paint booth. I have a person looking into this for me. I also want to build an outside area dedicated for pressure washing. sealed concrete pad with a big metal grate to catch the grease and oil and general crap. This will also be used to wash off all the dirt bikes and various off road vehicles that tend to get cacked in mud not to mention my snowcats.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow. The threads are popping up at all the right times for my current worries! First the trailering and now this.

I'm spec'ing out a garage and my gut tells me to go with a metal building but they all look so much alike and all just say "Call us for a quote." So, it seems it's a pretty competitive market. Has anyone done a 'top 5' metal building providers? I saw Morton above so have that on my list now. I'm thinking of something in the 24x48x15 or 30x60x15. Maybe skylights to cut down on cost of lighting, etc.. Either way has to handle plenty of snow.

Anybody know how much it costs to put up a metal building compared to a stick-built with some standard siding, etc for same size, etc?

Thanks!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody know how much it costs to put up a metal building compared to a stick-built with some standard siding, etc for same size, etc?
When I built mine, it was cheaper to go with stick built construction with brick and cedar siding than to go with a deluxe version of a metal building from Morton. Morton will make them to your specs, to get the building to look similar to my house, there was absolutely zero benefit to go with a metal building. If you don't have building code issues, or don't mind it looking like a traditional steel building, then the steel buildings are less expensive.

However, if you start to add up options like insulation or drywall then the cost per square foot of the metal buildings starts to climb dramatically. Bear in mind, my shop is drywalled, insulated, air conditioned, has power outlets everywhere, lots of lights, a security system, telephones, cables run for video and internet, Anderson casement windows, etc.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
MAINER,
I would go with the largest building you can afford or place on the desired area. Space gets filled up so fast! I am looking at a shop locally here that I will purchase. Its not perfect but its alot better than what I have now and will actually be great for one of my other businesses during the winter time. There is another building that I can use but again there is alot of work in retrofitting for my needs. If I can get the property cheap then I might demo that building and start all over with the biggest building I can afford (budgetted for this project). In any business you need to really own the property or buildings it works from. Hope this helps. What will be the use? Just curious.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is the Bead blasting cabinet I will be going with. This is an American company and they build a very nice product that directly competes against the cheaper Chineese blasters that are cheap in price and quuality. These are cheap in price high in quality.

http://www.barrelblaster.com/

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
For those that need bigger units here you go.

http://www.barrelblaster.com/

OK that didnt work to good. Click on the above link. Scroll down to bottom of that page. Click on "CUSTOM UNITS" button bottm right. They have 55 gallon, 85 gallon and dual connected 85 gallon units.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've built dozens of "shops", mostly industrial and manufacturing, machining, automobile repair, woodworking. As an electrician I've also wired home owner shops. If you build a new shop consider the following: Good Lighting would likely be # one on the list. In my personal shop 14 X 33, I have (4) 250 Watt Metal halides on the ceiling, (4) 8' flourescents on the walls down low,about 16" off the floor, some florescents on the walls, just above head height, and a couple of incandescents. The Incandescents are on a switch so that if I just need a tool or jack from the shop I don't have to turn on the whole light system. If I poured a new floor I would consider putting 8' florescents in the slab in a "Leave out" that was trimmed in angle iron and covered with a piece of 3/4 " Lexan so that the Lexan was flush with the floor. It's tough enough to roll a floor jack on to and jack up a 5 ton truck. If you are going to be painting good light is essential. This completely eliminates the need for a drop light.>
Plenty of Outlets for both Power and Air. Having cords and air lines under foot is a nusiance and a trip hazard. I've plumbed in the Air system in several shops with PVC. It's cheap and fast. You can even bury it in the slab if you think ahead when your building. Most of the big plants and commercial shops we piped the air in in black iron or galvanized.In my current shop I have Air outlets on both sides with whips long enough to reach the opposite corners so that you can use 2 tools simulteanously with out having to un plug. Likewise I have short heavy duty cords on both sides. They all live on Cheapo Garden hose holders from Walmart or Home Depot.
There is nothing like having an overhead bridge crane. It doesn't have to be very big, most Cat Equipment dealers use a 3 ton. A single mechanic can completely tear down and reassemble a D11(fairly large machine) with only a 3 ton.
Some type of Forklift is kind of the runner up to a Bridge crane.
Build a seperate place to Grind, Weld, that sort of stuff. It will keep the grit out of your projects.
Don't store anything but Tools in your shop if possible. Having a big clutter impeeds every task and materials such as hardware and parts don't care weather it's cold or warm. Put materials in a Connex, or old truck body. You can pick one up cheap, build shelves in it, add a PERMANENT light, and if you want it to look good you can side it with T111 and even put a small peaked roof on it to disguise it. the Peaked roof is a great place to store long stuff like pipe and lumber. >
If you buy a 4 X 8 Sheet of inch and a quarter plywood, slice it in half lengthwise, so that you have (2) 2 X 8 pieces. Now attach an 8' 2X4 to the wall at table height(whatever height you like your workbench at). Make 2 4X4 legs for the front, attach them with the biggest "T" shaped barn door hinges for the front, and put 3 standard door hinges on the back. This Fold up work bench is strong enough to stand on or place something weighing in at 3 or 4 hundred pounds.
I'll think up some more stuff but for now that's enough.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Brilliant! Love the lighting ideas. THE shop I have decided to buy is 48' wide by 32' Deep with 20' ceilings. The shop has two seperate bays 18'x32' with a center bay that is 12'x32' (minus thickness of block walls) Anyway I will have a dirty shop and a clean shop. Dirty room, clean room. One will be for washing and tearing down and the other will be for paint and reassembly ect.. The center room will house my 15 HP 480 volt 2 stage Ingersal rand aircompressor with 120 gallon tank. This room will also be storage for parts ect ect. There will be two complete sets of tools in each bay. There will of course be a bridge crane in each bay. These will be home made jobs. I priced some units out and was shocked at the price. 15,000 for a 2,000 lbs system! No I will build my own. I contacted my local power company and they will upgrade the power to 3 phase 480 watts and a 200 amp panel for free. They will also be moving a power line which is currently 2 feet above the existing roof which needs to be replaced with a pitched roof. An airfiltration system for the air compressor and PVC plumbed lines to each bay with mulitiple hook ups all along the walls. I will also be going with electrical heaters but havent decided exactly which ones yet. Need to see there power needs to be sure the 200 amp panel will work with everything on at one time. I will leave that to my electrician. LYNDON if you want to visit Ely NV let me know? Hint hint.