• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Changing A Tire/Wheel On A Snow Cat

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
In the past two weeks I have had to change two tires/wheels on the VMC snow cat in the field. Below is an easy way if you have the torsion bar axle system. Thankfully, both of mine have been on the inside idlers. Blocks cut out of 6X6 worked best. Someone on the VMC in the past put tubeless tire sealer in tube type tires and now I am paying the penalty. If I have this machine next year both rubber tire idlers on each end of the track will be foam filled. :thumb:
VMC_1-1.jpg

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Mtntopper, good trick. Drove foward on one 2x4 first, then backed onto two.

Attachments

• x0176.jpg
    x0176.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 692

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtncrawler, good photo of the wood placement!

Have you guys considered using "SLIME" or some commercial tire sealers? You pump these products into the tire by removing the valve core, releasing the air, then pumping an appropriate amount of sealer into the tire, re-inserting the valve core, and then re-filling with air.

SLIME is probably the best known brand. Ag suppliers like www.gemplers.com sell a couple other products. UltraSeal Commercial Grade and UltraSeal Bulletproof Grade. The Bulletproof grade is US Military approved and will seal a hole up to 1/2" in diameter while the Commercial grade is good for 1/4" diameter hole. Gemplers sells it by the gallon, and I'd guess one gallon would treat 8 to 12 tires on a snowcat, depending on size.

All of these eliminate slow leaks and most puncture problems.

Snow Tracs & Snow Masters have a somewhat different problem because they use a series of small wheel held on dual (or triple) leaf springs. Villi, one of our members from Iceland :smileICEflag: showed us his "Villi Tool" that is used for changing tires the small bogie wheels on a Snow Trac/Snow Master. It could be adapted to other brands that have small bogie wheels. I also made a couple of these tools out of scrap steel. I believe "Mith" made one for "Ice Queen" too. Here is a link: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=2460

Below are some photos of his tool:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 654
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 648
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 662
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 622

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any tire that is not solid filled should really run a tube. If air pressure gets a little low a tube tire will stay on the rim where a tubless will unseat and eventually shut you down.

paulhenry

mtntopper & mtncrawler,

Where were you three months ago!

I did it the hard (headed) way. The manual on my rig said to cut a 27" 2x4 and wedge it between the tracks - NOT!!!!

I printed this out and put it in my repair manual so even I will remember this the next time - and there will be a next time.

Thanks

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtncrawler, I totally agree with you on the issue of "inner tubes" and my bogie wheels have inner tubes in them. And I put SLIME into the inner tubes! There are different types of this stuff on the market. Some is made to go into tubeless tires, some of it goes into inner tubes. In any case, I was just offering up the suggestion that this type of product is a pretty good idea.

paulhenry

B_Skurka said:
mtncrawler, I totally agree with you on the issue of "inner tubes" and my bogie wheels have inner tubes in them. And I put SLIME into the inner tubes! There are different types of this stuff on the market. Some is made to go into tubeless tires, some of it goes into inner tubes. In any case, I was just offering up the suggestion that this type of product is a pretty good idea.

How does the slime stack up to the foam fills @ $80 plus shipping?

Will the slime go to -30 or so, I regularly see -28.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Slime will freeze solid. Not for extreme cold weather enviroments. The warmer the better for that stuff. You have two optins really. One Poly fill the tires solid or two just straight air.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know how SLIME or any of the other brands of sealer work at those temperatures. I'd suggest you may want to contact the manufacturers of the various products for cold weather application where temps are that low. I know it works in tractor tires to temps at or slightly below 0. But I would say foam fill would be better if money is no object. But if the SLIME type products work at those temperatures, the cost is only a few dollars per tire.

Again, at -30 degrees, you need to contact the various manufacturers who make these products and see if any of them are suitable for those temps.

EDIT: Mike (Snowcat Operations) and I were writing our answers at the same time. It is colder where he lives than where I live!

docmaple

I'M STILL A LITTLE BIT CONFUSED ABOUT THE LAST PARAGRAPH .WHAT DO YOU NEED THE WINCH FOR? I HAVE A SKIDOZER 252 AND NEED TO CHANGE THE BACK TIRE .WHAT TOOL DO YOU USE TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE IN THE TRACK TENSION CYLINDER?

paulhenry

docmaple said:
I'M STILL A LITTLE BIT CONFUSED ABOUT THE LAST PARAGRAPH .WHAT DO YOU NEED THE WINCH FOR? I HAVE A SKIDOZER 252 AND NEED TO CHANGE THE BACK TIRE .WHAT TOOL DO YOU USE TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE IN THE TRACK TENSION CYLINDER?

docmaple,

I too was fuzzy on the proceedure for the last wheel.

I have a Skidozer 252 also - the manual says to remove the nipple on the track tension cylinder(located outboard, and use rag to cover to contain grease spill) - then if more slack needed back off on the adjusting collar bolt of the track tension cylinder (1 1/2" wrench needed I think).

PM me if you want the factory operator and maintenance manual for the 252 - I have them PDF'd.

But the manual also say use a 27" 2x4 to wedge between upper and lower track for clearance. THAT DID NOT EVEN REMOTELY COME CLOSE TO WORKING FOR ME!

I ended up taking the track off in sub-zero weather. I could share some of the swear words that worked me in a PM if you would like.

I was thrilled to see the explanation on the mid wheels though.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
paulhenry said:
How does the slime stack up to the foam fills @ $80 plus shipping?

Will the slime go to -30 or so, I regularly see -28.

OK just an update, ULTRASEAL "Commercial Grade" and "Bulletproof Grade" are both rated to -40 degrees and to +300 degrees Fahrenheit. Gempler's sells Commercial Grade for $54.75 per gallon, and Bulletproof Grade for $74.75 per gallon. Both are available at www.gemplers.com Also there is a dosage chart at www.gemplers.com/tech (look under the tire category and search around a bit) You need to know your tire sizes. What I don't know is if Ultraseal is suitable for use inside an inner tube?

I have no clue about SLIME brand sealing products, but I suspect that Mike is probably correct because SLIME is more of a 'consumer' grade product. I use SLIME in mine, but I've never seen temps below -20 and at that temperature I tend stay inside. SLIME does make a specific version for use in inner tubes and another type for use inside tubeless tires. The last time I used the tubeless product it seemed to have some rubber(?) granuals in it, while the product for use in inner tubes did not seem to have those.