• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CIGAR REVIEW ~ "5 Vegas" Maduro 'Serie A'

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got 3 free cigars recently, all are a brand I am unfamiliar with and had never seen for sale in any shops. The brand is called "5 Vegas" which apparently was supposed to be pronounced 'Cinco Vegas' and was started several years ago in the cigar popularity boom. Like many brands that started back then it eventually died. I gather it has been resurrected and is under new ownership.

I found a short review of the maduro cigar that I just smoked this morning and thought I'd share it with you:
The various sizes in the Series “A” line are given names beginning with the letter A, as if they were children in a cute little family. The petite corona is called “Anomaly,” as if there were something abnormal about this particular child. Aside from the fact that it is a bit runty at 4 1/2 x 44, this anomaly is just abnormally rich and tasty. This kid may be small, but he’s feisty.

There’s a whole lot of nose-tingling spice in this little corona. It starts up fairly mellow with a rich full flavor– Costa Rican maduro is tough to beat — but soon the spice takes over and really makes a move. It does get a bit harsh toward the end and it has a fairly short finish at 25 minutes into the smoke. But at this point I must say I was thoroughly satisfied. Good construction and a great price at less than 3 USD makes this a must try. Maduro fans take note
!​

I tend to agree with this review, it is a review of a "Corona" sized cigar, and the cigar I smoked was a 5" x 50 "Robusto" sized cigar but I found the cigar to be very mild, and a pleasure to smoke. I was expecting a more intense cigar, but like I said found it to be very mild. Mild should not be taken as flavorless, it has plenty of flavor and was very smooth. I did not notice any harsh quality toward the end. If you stumble upon this brand, it is worthy of consideration.

The picture below shows the 3 I received this week, and if this is under $3 then it is well worth the money. I smoked the dark (nearly black) wrapper maduro on the far right of the photo (shown with a black & gold label + a cedar sleeve around the body of the cigar). The quality of the cigar was pretty good in terms of construction. The wrapper did peel back a bit as my saliva moistened the end of it but it never fell apart. The ask held very well and stayed together after I knocked it off. In fact I was able to rest the smoldering cigar on top of the ash without the ash crumbling. The burn was very even. It never smoked hot.

Attachments

• 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 170

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
How strong were each one? I bought a cigar 2 days ago. I forgot the name of it though. I used to smoke cigars every other day but I just lost the passion for it. I'll have one once every 2 months now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I only smoked the maduro "Series A" cigar so far. So I can't compare it to the others for how strong each is compared to the others. The maduro "series A" was not very strong and I'd consider it a mild cigar.

As far as cigar smoking goes, I can go a year between cigars, but then when I'm in the mood I'll smoke 3 or 4 per week. So I guess I go in phases or waves. I was smoking 1 a day several years ago, gave them up for Lent and really missed them. It was one of the hardest things I ever gave up. By the end of that Lenten period I had lost my desire for them and didn't pick one up for probably 2 more years. At the time I was smoking Macanudo Baron de Rothchild Maduros and nothing else.

daedong

Not sure but I think I have smoked them, the label looks very familiar. When it comes to smokes of any kind whether being cigarettes or cigars I'm a bit like an alcoholic, I will smoke anything going. I used to smoke about a dozen little cigars a day, I do not like filtered cigarettes very much never have and never will, I find them dry and awful in taste. I now smoke roll your own, there are not many people left in Australia that smoke rollies any more, is it the same in the USA?

In fact I am one of few that still smoke in Australia to the point I have become a social outcast.

1931532.jpg

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Not sure but I think I have smoked them, the label looks very familiar. When it comes to smokes of any kind whether being cigarettes or cigars I'm a bit like an alcoholic, I will smoke anything going. I used to smoke about a dozen little cigars a day, I do not like filtered cigarettes very much never have and never will, I find them dry and awful in taste. I now smoke roll your own, there are not many people left in Australia that smoke rollies any more, is it the same in the USA?

In fact I am one of few that still smoke in Australia to the point I have become a social outcast.

1931532.jpg

nice roll up you have on the go there....looks a little like golden virgina brand...roll one for me too.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I now smoke roll your own, there are not many people left in Australia that smoke rollies any more, is it the same in the USA?
Roll your own popularity varies from state to state. Some of the states here in the USA have very high cigarette taxes, the taxes are applied to factory made cigarettes and can easily exceed $1.50 per pack of 20 cigarettes. Other states have low to moderate cigarette taxes and those states. It does not take an economic genius to figure out that as the per pack tax is increased the smokers will switch to roll your own. In my little tobacco stores we have small sections of roll your own tobacco, papers and rolling "machines" for making cigarettes. My state is considered a "moderate" state for cigarette taxes, just 4 or 5 years ago my wholesale operation barely sold any of these items. Now my little stores probably sell as much of these supplies as the wholesale operation sold a half decade ago. It is growing in popularity, that is for sure. I'm also seeing a big increase in cigarette paper 'tube' sales. They are pre-rolled papers with filters attached and a machine is used to stuff the tobacco into the tube.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I now smoke roll your own, there are not many people left in Australia that smoke rollies any more, is it the same in the USA?

Certain people always roll their own...ummmm, tobacco. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• AQ24-059.JPG
    AQ24-059.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 154

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A pack of Marlboros in Chicago will cost about $7
Closer to $10 if you can find them downtown, but only about $3.80 if you cross the state line on the south side of the city at the Indiana border stops.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Was in ChiTown on Thursday. Took Rte 12 all the way back to Michigan. Stopped in an Indiana Cigar shop. Nice young lady running the place. So I bought two $10, 2 $6, and 2 $3.50 cigars.
One of the neighbors and I puff a couple on the weekend.
We smoked the $10 cigars on Thursday evening Nice. Double Eagle Cabinet Series La Tradition Perdoma Reserve.Came in metal tubes.

Trying the $6 cigars tonight. Carlos Turano Exodus 1959.

And the $3.50 Sunday evening. La Vieja Habana.

Next week I'll smoke what he brings.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love driving Rt 12 up until it turns into the Red Arrow Highway, quick trips to Redemax across the Michigan line for burgers!!!

The Carlos Turano Exodus 1959 is a full bodied cigar. Very nice. Considered an excellent cigar. I had one about a month ago. Made me dizzy!!! That is a really good price too.

I've not tried the La Vidja cigars, I think those are made by Drew Estates.

Perdoma, if I am thinking of the correct brand, is an aged tobacco.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Was in ChiTown on Thursday. Took Rte 12 all the way back to Michigan. Stopped in an Indiana Cigar shop. Nice young lady running the place. So I bought two $10, 2 $6, and 2 $3.50 cigars.
One of the neighbors and I puff a couple on the weekend.
We smoked the $10 cigars on Thursday evening Nice. Double Eagle Cabinet Series La Tradition Perdoma Reserve.Came in metal tubes.

Trying the $6 cigars tonight. Carlos Turano Exodus 1959.

And the $3.50 Sunday evening. La Vieja Habana.

Next week I'll smoke what he brings.

Hey Thats nice :thumb:! Wish I had a nieghbor like that to share with .

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I love driving Rt 12 up until it turns into the Red Arrow Highway, quick trips to Redemax across the Michigan line for burgers!!!

The Carlos Turano Exodus 1959 is a full bodied cigar. Very nice. Considered an excellent cigar. I had one about a month ago. Made me dizzy!!! That is a really good price too.

I've not tried the La Vidja cigars, I think those are made by Drew Estates.

Perdoma, if I am thinking of the correct brand, is an aged tobacco.

I'm only about 25 miles north of Redemaks, and my wife makes much better burgers.

If you are ever in the neighborhood, let me know ahead of time. We can sit out, have a few drinks and a cigar!

The 1959 was very nice. As ws the Predoma. I'll have to buy a few more of each. I'm just getting into cigars. Many years ago, my best buddy and I would buy Macanudos on freedom-from-girlfriend nights, but hadn't really smoked any since then until George hand me a Macanudo last fall. I don't really have a favorite yet. George, the wives and I sit by the sea wall in the evning drinking something, smoking a cigar (not the wives, just me and George), watching the boats go by, and having nice conversation. We never got to the Drew Estates because George insisted on a pair of Macanudo Old Fashioned cigars. Drew this weekend. I guess I spelled it wrong, eh?

Another nice drive is heading north out of Saint Joe heading toward South Haven on the Blue Star Highway.