• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker on craigslist

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Made it home safely. Tucker from the tallest mountain in Massachusetts sharing space with the Tucker from the tallest mountain in New England!

This one was a sleeper. New track belting, new sprockets , new bogies, lots of new grousers, new hardware, lacing and ice breakers done by dealer prior to being sold. Only few hours on them. Lots of spare grousers, 5 spare wheels and misc parts. Well maintained complete and stored indoors all it's life.

Ordered from Ed Gil with Tucker rubber all terrain track conversion . They paid 7350$ according to the paperwork for the conversion.

Slant six quiet no smoke or leaks. Runs excellent !

Little different than the pontoon cat. Lots to learn here looking forward to it. Real clean all original machine what wasn't represented well in the add which is why it may have taken so long to sell. We met at a great price.

Might be moving into the back tomorrow when wife gets home. Benches look fairly comfy.

Will get a new thread going soon!

PS. Still nothing like the ride of a pontoon cat but it's still a Tucker !

Attachments

• IMG_6771.jpg
    IMG_6771.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 626

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
great buy, well bought, you done good !!!

and you should be very pleased with the slant 6, it was a sleeper for sure, both as interest in it and a place for you to sleep, you new tiny house on tracks...

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations on your purchase!

I'll confess up front that when I first saw that machine on craigslist I thought it was overpriced (and I think I said so on a thread). But having all new idler wheels, sprockets, belts, hardware, a bunch of new grousers, etc. totally changes the equation. These numbers are from several years ago, but new grousers were about $170 each, sprockets about $250, idler wheels about the same, and belts around $180. You don't need to do any math at all to realize those numbers add up very fast indeed.

The seller's failure to accurately describe the machine was your gain and his loss. And I think you deserve credit for recognizing the value and pursuing it.

Welcome to the world of rubber tracked Tuckers!

If you're interested in upgrading the powerplant to a more powerful V-8 engine, I have a complete Chrysler 318 Industrial/ New process 5-speed package* from a low-hour Tucker available.

* Includes original radiator with shroud, engine with factory single point front mount, air cleaner, exhaust manifolds and accessories (no hydraulic pump but you get the brackets, pulley and belts) flywheel, clutch assembly, bell housing with bracket and slave cylinder and transmission including the parking brake system. Pretty much everything from the front of the radiator to the back of the parking brake but the hydraulic pump...

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried to buy this back when it listed but shot way low. Then when the price went to pluto figured forget it. Made another call to discuss reality and also had some input from a forum member who looked at it last year.

The two brothers that I bought it from were real nice guys. One of them had been the mechanic at the shop which is how they ended up with it. They bought low and did ok. They were real happy to see it stay somewhat local and go to a nice loving home.

Looking forward to a machine that is not a project although I still have some tucker projects planned for the future!

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you're interested in upgrading the powerplant to a more powerful V-8 engine, I have a complete Chrysler 318 Industrial/ New process 5-speed package* from a low-hour Tucker available.

* Includes original radiator with shroud, engine with factory single point front mount, air cleaner, exhaust manifolds and accessories (no hydraulic pump but you get the brackets, pulley and belts) flywheel, clutch assembly, bell housing with bracket and slave cylinder and transmission including the parking brake system. Pretty much everything from the front of the radiator to the back of the parking brake but the hydraulic pump...

How can you refuse Blackfoot's engine offer? After listening to the V-8 mouse motor, there is no way not to do the deed. Tell mama that the six could go away at any time and having the 318 is just like life insurance. I gots many excuses to get Tuckers in the door. This one is free, next one will cost you.

Aaron Tucker

the 318 in my 1342 never seemed to have enough power but that was at 10,000ft . the 331 hemi in my freighter screams tho .

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kind of like the sound of this six cylinder. Never had any chryslers before.

Steel track Tucker is getting sold and might already be going to a good local home!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the v-8 of that era were prone to tuming chain failure and carbon build up in the intake crossover ports resulting in poor idle quality when cold. The 225 maybe lacking in the horse power department but it will run for ever, also the 225 uses hemi lower end components which may be why they were known to be a 300k + mile engine.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations on your purchase!

I'll confess up front that when I first saw that machine on craigslist I thought it was overpriced (and I think I said so on a thread). But having all new idler wheels, sprockets, belts, hardware, a bunch of new grousers, etc. totally changes the equation. These numbers are from several years ago, but new grousers were about $170 each, sprockets about $250, idler wheels about the same, and belts around $180. You don't need to do any math at all to realize those numbers add up very fast indeed.

The seller's failure to accurately describe the machine was your gain and his loss. And I think you deserve credit for recognizing the value and pursuing it.

Welcome to the world of rubber tracked Tuckers!

i will take it, email me with details and thank you, tuckerville minion

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Great upgrade! I promise you will be VERY happy with the rubber belted tracks,not to mention all that additional room. You now have much more of an all terrain vehicle(and a somewhat quieter one). :smile:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
kind of hijacking the purchase thread, but if another pump bracket from a 318 happened to be had, I would be interested to hear of it.
I acquired a PARTS cat with the 318 5 speed combo, I got everything but the pump and bracket. I have since sourced a pump and my home made attempt at a bracket is poor.
My 1542 is alive and fine when running around solo, when I saddle up the drag and try to work the pump/belt arrangement shows its true self.....

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
kind of hijacking the purchase thread, but if another pump bracket from a 318 happened to be had, I would be interested to hear of it.
I acquired a PARTS cat with the 318 5 speed combo, I got everything but the pump and bracket. I have since sourced a pump and my home made attempt at a bracket is poor.
My 1542 is alive and fine when running around solo, when I saddle up the drag and try to work the pump/belt arrangement shows its true self.....

Honestly, the factory brackets are a less-than-inspired design. The pump assembly is fairly heavy and the brackets don't do a very good job of securing the pump in position and resisting bending/twisting forces. Our 1643 project came with the brackets slightly tweaked and the pump pulley not parallel with the harmonic balancer pulley.

I can post some photos of the stock brackets if that would help.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, that would,
The pulley might be helpful as well. I have a notion that the AA pulley may have been adjusted by Tucker. I sourced a Double grooved, 8", A, pulley from a Motion/mechanical supply house. It seems to spread the belts a bit relaitve to the Harmonic pump spacing,
I am thinking to chuck up the pulley and re-machine it. When I am done, narrowing and reducing diameter, I bet it will be close to the 7.92 " that is on my build sheet......

I seem to remember seeing a angle bracket on the back of the pump on one of the machines I stared at, was there ever a stiffener of any sort on the back that you recall?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
mike you have a vtm pump go to your local hydraulic shop and pick up an aluminum bracket for it

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Astro hydraulics will get a call tomorrow, (my son works there) hand smacking head

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry for the delay. My wonderful Internet service provider, Comcast was having a bad day. Anyway, here are the photos:

(For some reason photo two rotates 90º when it uploads. Perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong...)

The first one is of the brackets that bolt to the pump, as well as a photo of the pulley.

The second photo is of the brackets that attach to the engine.

Third photo is of a hydraulic pump with the pump brackets attached. You can see at the bottom of the pump how the two brackets would bolt to the lower bracket in photo two. ("Lower" if the photo was properly oriented.) As you noted, the V-belts are close together in the pulley.

I've never seen a bracket that supports the rear of the pump, but that would be an excellent improvement. There's very little rigidity in the factory brackets.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.JPG
    IMG_0944.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0955.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC00936.jpg
    DSC00936.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 151

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
thank you for taking the time to post those photos. I found a pump bracket and made a quite embarrassing assembly of "Rube Goldburgness" that somewhat looks similar.

that pulley is slightly different, so my mess is coming apart..

that engine mounted pivot is what I need to locate off of....