• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thinking of getting a new(er) sports sedan

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Current driver is a 2003 BMW 530i. Based on Consumer Reports, it's their highest rated car ever until the first year Tesla came along (and then Tesla ratings crashed). The BMW is 100% dealer maintained with only 118K which is really low and they're known for 250K+ miles.

Man, I love driving this BMW but thinking about getting something newer.

I had my eye on a 2015 Lexus GS-350, F-Sport, Crafted line with under 7K miles. They only made 875 of them and they're gorgeous. Dealer and I were within $500 but "poof", it disappeared off their site. :(

We have a pile of cars and my son comes up next for getting one of them. No way in hell he's getting my BMW. Too much car for a kid and I'd cry if he wrecked it.

So, looking for a new sports sedan. Thoughts? Budget doesn't matter much as long as it's around $32K or less.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Prolly get a great deal on this toasted Tesla X. Some idiot drove in out onto the ice on Lake Champlain to go ice fishing, hit something and it burst into flames. Idiot. :yum:

TOASTYTESLA-FORMAT.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree, the BMW is way to much for any teenager.
So are you wanting one that you can let him drive on occasion?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Are you selling the bimmer?

Can't get my head around a Lexus. Reliable and safe, yes. Soul, I don't think so. Not too much excited me these days other than M cars, AMG, or exotics.

Or maybe a rat rod with a Zephyr engine. Haven't thought to much about it....

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems to me you already have the best sports sedan out there, so it might not be a step up but here are some you might consider.
Infinity Q50
Audi A4
Cadillac CTS
Mercedes E class
last on this list but sure not least is a newer version of what you already have:
BMW 5 series.

I never never even ridden in any of these models but pics and write up sure make them sound nice. If it didn't have to be a sedan I'd suggest a 69 Chevelle SS. I have driven this old muscle car and dream of owning one again someday.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Lexus ES I'd agree is kind of boring but the GS is a lot more sporty and fun to drive.
My wife has a Lexus RX350 and although a SUV, it does have nice giddy-up.

Doc - I think the Infiniti, Audi A4 are a bit smaller than I want. Not sure about the caddy. I haven't heard good things about the newer 5 series BMW's. They seem to have a lot of problems in the past few years.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/used/upscale-midsize-cars-3

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just me, but I would not even call the Lexus ES or GS boring. But I guess I'm easily pleased and it's all relative to what you are used to driving. I had an 04 Toyota Solara for 12 years. Loved that car. Nary a problem. While I had the Solara I bought the 97 BMW Z3 and loved that car for the most part. Extra fun to drive but could entice me into trouble pushing it further than I should. But that's just me. The car was small, two seater convertible, mainly just for fun. I ran out of garage space so I sold it after a little over a year of fun.

So now I have a Toyota Avalon, and a Toyota 4Runner. Both serve their purpose. And even after the BMW, I do enjoy driving the Avalon. It's fun. Has more power than the 4Runner mainly because it's a good bit lighter. They both have the same V6 Toyota power. I do have the touring edition which has a few sport add ons, wheels an stuff I can't remember now. I like the trouble free miles I get out of the Toyotas. Boring to some but still fun to me. Cornering and acceleration suit me fine.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife is currently driving an Avalon. It's the car my son will get. I will say that it has been problem free. To me, the ride is sort of like a Cadillac. It absorbs everything. Not crisp in handling or suspension but comfortable.