• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I have Sooooo missed you guys!!!

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
It seems appropriate, given the time away, that I come in through the front door. I'm glad you're still here and I am glad to be back. Much to tell about the why's and wherefore's so, we'll eat the elephant one bite at a time.

I hope everyone is well and I look forward to the engaging banter I remember from days past.

Two very important things I've learned from my time away, God is good and the parts don't work as well as they used to...lol

Biggest news, God has blessed us with an opportunity to pursue a dream. And, we adopted and are now raising our 5/9 yo grandsons. That's how I learned about the parts not working like they used to. :smileywac For clarity, that was NOT part of the dream... lol. But, we are blessed to have them.

Anyway, I'll share more as we move forward. Just glad to be back!!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, cowboy!
Welcome back.
Yup, life has a way of taking us off the radar now and then.
Good to see you.
:smile:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I remember you, I think. I am old so forgive my lapses.

At any rate, I will join the others in welcoming you back to the fold. :thumbup:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Hope everyone is well. Stopped in at NTT on my way here to query the brain trust. I don't know about you but the last 18 months have felt like running around the edge of the plate just trying to keep stuff from falling off. So much has happened and much of it not what we planned.

As the story goes, we relocated to a 4 acre site in town, yea, crazy. We were very fortunate, this much property just doesn't exist inside the city limits. A sizeable upgrade from the .20 acre lot we were on before. The point of this move was several fold. First, Mrs. Cowboy and I were working very regimented corporate gigs here, having to travel 30+ minutes to and from home, tend to the boy's needs like After school, day care, sports, Dr appointments etc., making sure they got dropped off and picked up by the appointed times. This was a real challenge. We are now 3 minutes from every school they'll attend and work is a 10 minute drive. This part has worked out well.

Another, very important, part is the plan to turn our property into a "Market Garden". This part hasn't gone quite as planned. Looks like we'll be delayed about a year getting this going. The idea of the market garden was to transition to self reliance. Stop working for "The man". be self supporting and do something good for the community. There is nothing in our area for fresh grown food. You have to drive to the country or go to the other side of town to the farmers market. As I mentioned in an earlier post, SPIN farming with a Homesteading twist is the foundation of our business model. Here in the city, you can get a market garden designation which allows you to sell what you've grown right on site. Keeps you from having to do the farmers market thing and traipse all over the place to sell your stuff. Cut flowers and Veggies are the core products. I included a couple of pictures from the property. We plan an orchard of dwarf fruit/nut trees along with the veggies and flowers. We are using 2021 as our year of recovery. We'll plant the orchard this fall and I have a couple caterpillar tunnels coming so we can grow some over the winter and get our starts going for spring.

That's all for now. I'll be able to be around more going forward. Do miss this place. I'll move the updates to a more appropriate forum too.

Be well!!

Attachments

• N Bowl.jpg
    N Bowl.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 86
  • E Orchard.jpg
    E Orchard.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 89

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It looks like a beautiful place and you have an interesting game plan. I'll be extremely interested to see how it all works out for you. Please keep us informed.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Your plan sounds ambitious and worthy. Bon Chance!
BTW, raising your grand kids,,,,I can relate. Mine are now 20 and 15

And yeah, some of the parts do not work as well. Getting them to do so is also ambitious and worthy. It takes a patient partner.