• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New deck for 6x12 utility trailer

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I finally got this project done with big help from a friend. He had recently done his trailer and offered up his heated garage to get er done. Together we made short work of it.

Saturday we tore off the 2 layers of old deck (I had put plywood over top of the original floor as a band aide. It worked longer than I expected but was in dire need of being replaced). Sanded and power washed. End day 1. Sunday, day 2, removed wheels and painted ...wheels off to get inside the wheel wells. Monday, day 3 ..put wheels back on, touched up hard to reach places with spray paint and put new deck on. Wa La ...all done (except for new lights to be installed later).

Looks like a new trailer but it's 20 years old. A big thanks to Jim W. who led the way on this project, and is in all the pics working while I took pics. Otherwise ...I did work. Honest.

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 189
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 189
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 180
  • trailer6.jpg
    trailer6.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 190
  • trailer7.jpg
    trailer7.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 188

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice work. I replaced the deck boards on my 18 footer a year ago. I had a lip to hold in the boards. Had to use a jack and some ratchet straps to bend the last board to get it in. Yours looks much easier.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice. That's a very similar trailer to mine. I need to redo the deck next summer. I made removable sides for mine as I use it for everything from hauling lumber, side by side, garbage. We don't have roadside garbage here so once a week I load it up and make a run.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
f5ae9256ef56c637bb48429f1fa34171.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice work. I replaced the deck boards on my 18 footer a year ago. I had a lip to hold in the boards. Had to use a jack and some ratchet straps to bend the last board to get it in. Yours looks much easier.

Might look easier but it was not. Mine has the lip at each end also. Tried to bend the boards to force them into the lip to no avail. Ended up cutting an 8" section out of the front lip to set each board on trailer then hammer to each side till it was full then put in the last board. It worked.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'll have to take a closer look at mine to see how it's set up. Sounds like a pain. What type of wood did you use? Did you treat it with anything to preserve it?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk