• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sony pull new film "the interview' amid protests

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure there were threats to hurt those who went to see this film. The protesters threatened a 911 of the theatures who showed the film. So, Sony pulls the film from release. Good move or weenie move? If in charge what would you have done?

and now this:

Sony pulled its controversial film "The Interview" after public threats, but one activist group hopes it can drop copies of the film into North Korea from the sky.

Human Rights Foundation founder Thor Halvorssen says the group plans on buying copies of "The Interview" -- which depicts the assassination of North Korea's leader -- and including them in upcoming balloon drops over North Korea. The group is waiting to hear whether Sony will release the movie in an alternate format since it canceled plans to release the film in theaters. (On Wednesday, Sony said it had no further plans for release.)

For the last two years, the Human Rights Foundation has been working with groups in South Korea to drop balloons into the North that are filled with banned items.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/18/technology/north-korea-interview-drop-sony/index.html

--------------
What is this activist group trying to prove? If they did this do you think the outcome would be the one they are hoping for?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Sony just opened the floodgates. As for the E-mails, if you have a thought you don't want to become public knowledge better keep it in your head or on paper in a locked file cabinet in a locked office/room.
Mike

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Two words on why Sony says this - PUBLICITY STUNT now when the movie is released it will make even more money.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
obama's policy of appeasement has taken hold. it is the same with these fast food companies that are catering to the muslims, by banning bacon in some of their stores and alcohol wipes. we'll see more of this as long as obama is in the White house. :angry:

mak2

You think Sony cares more about Obama than the money? It is a publicity stunt. I have not yet heard how it is Obama's fault. I will have to check that out.
obama's policy of appeasement has taken hold. it is the same with these fast food companies that are catering to the muslims, by banning bacon in some of their stores and alcohol wipes. we'll see more of this as long as obama is in the White house. :angry:

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
You think Sony cares more about Obama than the money? It is a publicity stunt. I have not yet heard how it is Obama's fault. I will have to check that out.

since taking office obama has done nothing but appease our enemies, and that is exactly what SONY did. It may work in their favor eventually, but right now they are our 200 million and their secrets are all over the place. They will take years to recover from this.

mak2

Ok, North Korea defeated an American comedy movie:yum:and it is Obamas' fault. Are we really having this discussion?
since taking office obama has done nothing but appease our enemies, and that is exactly what SONY did. It may work in their favor eventually, but right now they are our 200 million and their secrets are all over the place. They will take years to recover from this.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Look, the Koreans are of absolutely no threat. None. Zero. They paid some teenage Chinese hackers to set this up.

Guess what - Korea just won the first cyber-war, and all they did was pay for it. Obama has done nothing, and will probably send them money.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
If this does turn out to be nothing but a publicity stunt I hope it blows up in Sony's corporate face. If it's real, Sony has shown
a major lack of moral fiber. Caving in to threats and blackmail is never the proper course. That was shown clearly by the late
and unlamented Neville Chamberlain; it sets a bad precedence and leads to more threats and blackmail.

mak2

It could have been an inside job too. I just don't buy Sony getting hacked being a US security crisis.
If this does turn out to be nothing but a publicity stunt I hope it blows up in Sony's corporate face. If it's real, Sony has shown
a major lack of moral fiber. Caving in to threats and blackmail is never the proper course. That was shown clearly by the late
and unlamented Neville Chamberlain; it sets a bad precedence and leads to more threats and blackmail.

Kane

A couple years ago an American produced a movie that supposedly riled up the terrorists in Egypt and Benghazi, Libya. Hillary saw that the man that produced the movie was put in jail.

This year an American produced a movie that riled up the terrorists in North Korea. Will someone from Sony go to jail?

mak2

Possibly, if touching a computer was a violation of their probation.
A couple years ago an American produced a movie that supposedly riled up the terrorists in Egypt and Benghazi, Libya. Hillary saw that the man that produced the movie was put in jail.

This year an American produced a movie that riled up the terrorists in North Korea. Will someone from Sony go to jail?

Kane

Sure there were threats to hurt those who went to see this film. The protesters threatened a 911 of the theatures who showed the film. So, Sony pulls the film from release. Good move or weenie move? If in charge what would you have done?
The folks at Sony haven't a testicle among them. For a film that cost a mere forty million.

If it were me, I would have pulled the movie from the theaters and posted it for free all across the digital media for every American to see. Fuck North Korea.

Now every terrorist hack with a gripe will have america by the balls.

--------------

mak2

Sony will make money on this. For Sure.
The folks at Sony haven't a testicle among them. For a film that cost a mere forty million.

If it were me, I would have pulled the movie from the theaters and posted it for free all across the digital media for every American to see. Fuck North Korea.

--------------

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
O'Riley and his guest were calling for counter measures against N. Korea for this cyber espionage. Since we do not trade with N. Korea, nor does anyone but China any actions would be limited as we could not just put sanctions out there and expect any kind of impact on N. Korea.
Course i do not expect Obama to do anything, and at this point I'm not sure it's warranted but if it is proven that N. Korea was behind the cyber attack, is that an act of war? What if they took out a power plant or some other utility? Things might get interesting. Seems this is just the beginning of the cyber wars.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
O'Riley and his guest were calling for counter measures against N. Korea for this cyber espionage. Since we do not trade with N. Korea, nor does anyone but China any actions would be limited as we could not just put sanctions out there and expect any kind of impact on N. Korea.
Course i do not expect Obama to do anything, and at this point I'm not sure it's warranted but if it is proven that N. Korea was behind the cyber attack, is that an act of war? What if they took out a power plant or some other utility? Things might get interesting. Seems this is just the beginning of the cyber wars.

Today I heard a couple of disturbing things about this cyber attack.

1. It now may be that Russia, China, and Iran are behind the attack on Sony, if that is so were they colluding with North Korea? And, is our national security that weak?

2. Was watching the news this morning and it now appears that Al Sharpton is going to have a say as to what kind of movies Sony puts out. Unfrigginbelievable.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Today I heard a couple of disturbing things about this cyber attack.

1. It now may be that Russia, China, and Iran are behind the attack on Sony, if that is so were they colluding with North Korea? And, is our national security that weak?

2. Was watching the news this morning and it now appears that Al Sharpton is going to have a say as to what kind of movies Sony puts out. Unfrigginbelievable.

Good question about how secure our cyber security is. Our Minuteman sites are 100% secure because they are not connected to the internet and still use the large floppy discs.

I question how secure our electrical grid is. That is the real clincher right there. A major disruption to our power supply could easily cause millions of deaths this time of year if it were for an extended period. If that is not a case for a nuclear retaliation I do not know what is.

I did hear and cannot confirm in writing that the cyber attack on Sony would have been successful in 90% of attacks against business. That is staggering.

I fear we will not rid ourselves of the curse that is Al Not so Shapton until he dies.

IMHO a foreign government sponsored cyber attack against any US interests should be considered an act of war. I doubt OSlimmey sees it that way, though.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Now every terrorist hack with a gripe will have america by the balls.

--------------

I like the way you think Kane.

mak2