• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

large tracked thing

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
lyndon asked me to post this. could he be thinking of going deep in something? it was on the mattracks site.
mattracks.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
it looks kind of like a fertilizer spreader. 4 wheel steering??

mikemikelle

Fertilizer nothing.....Its a portable brewery, goes across the top of the Hops to prevent the bruising caused by picking

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Judging by the height of the fenders above the tracks and hyd cylinders to raise and lower it, it must work similar to a hillside combine.
Mike

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
It's a sprayer.

Attachments

• sprayertracks.jpg
    sprayertracks.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 431

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I cannot believe that the snow machine designers don't follow the ag folks with the correct back slope for wind shields. Must be due to the Mach one speed of the snow machines. Combines get it, so that chaff stays off the window, spray machines so the spray falls down, how about snow on snow machines? Another advantage is visor like shade for the occasional sunny day.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Back in the 70,s when i worked at the ski area,we tested a COOLCAT, that was made in Nebraska and had a combine style cab. Mid mount john deere diesel around 225-250 hp and hydrostatic. I cant remeber what town they were built it. It was a pretty impressive machine for the day. It had morse controls and i do remember it didn't have a lot of legroom. The thing in this post is a ugly looking critter !!!!!:clap:

Snowy Rivers

We live in Farming country here, and all sorts of cool stuff can be seen in the fields.

Got to drive one of those huge azz articulated tracked jobs once.

Amazing machine. GPS to put the tractor spot on where it needs to be...

Huge sound system blazing away was killer.

Sitting in that thing buzzing across a huge field was like sitting on your couch watching the big screen TV

alryA

This is my B-in-law combine equipped with tracks which he dose not have his setup this way but I once asked why he don't used track machines and he said that the ride was to rough on his operators. Yes, they have a big operation and most of my family is in the ag business.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a large AG sprayer trying to solve weight issue. Most of this class of machine rides on wide tires pre plant for floatation on the soft ground in early spring. Then they switch to narrow tires after planting for row crop work.

Just like all things AG these days, Size has driven weights up, limiting when they can be used. In the deep blank high organic matter soils of the central corn belt, wet conditions can stop timely application, to the determinate of the product sprayed efficacy. Some times applications are skipped due to this. This can reduces yields, and increase weed pressure.

My bet is tracks will help some, but cost of operation will limit adoptions to high value crops. Commodity crops not so much. I have been on tracks will tillage tractors for over 20 years. IMHO if a track rig doesn't say Caterpillar on it, it is suspect. 100+ of track vehicles experience is not match able by any other company. Who ever built this rig will get big $$ for this option, and 3X or more for parts. It takes large production numbers to get costs down. Profitability for farms is quite low now. To many are now growing row crops in places ten years ago were not, and never had. This is causing excess production and low prices result. Federal crop insurance is available in these area's makes it attractive to do so. My bet is only small numbers are produced, unless profitability in commodity crops go up quite a lot..... Will never be mainstream till we see longer term profitability. No idea when this might happen. High value crops are usually grown on sandy soils and irrigated. Those pivot irrigators are used to apply some fertilizers and chemicals as well, lessoning the need for a rig such as this as well in that market ...

These tracks on this sprayer IMHO do not look beefy enough to stand the pounding a custom operator with a $20/hr. cowboy trying to get over as many acers per day as possible. Maintenance costs will be a pucker factor for the owner.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited: