• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Unions unleash millions of ad dollars

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Labor unions are sitting on at least $122 million in cash that can be spent on politics — more than corporate political action committees have on hand — and have already sent millions to Democratic super PACs that are purchasing ad buys daily.With unions’ traditional specialty being “get-out-the-vote” rather than persuasion, it is now, in the final weeks of the campaign, that much of those funds stand to be spent.
Led by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) with $13 million in the bank and the United Auto Workers (UAW) at $6.3 million, they can give that money in unlimited amounts, rather than $2,500 at a time, to the gamut of Democratic super PACs that exist thanks to a 2010 court ruling Democrats mostly denounced.
Seven unions have also established their own super PACs. Since July, those super PACs have run $42 million worth of ads and canvassing, including $14 million in the presidential race, $3.8 million on the Wisconsin Senate race and $2.8 million on the Ohio Senate race, plus $13 million on House candidates.
In recent weeks, there have been signs that they are readying more ads. In late September, the National Education Association transferred $3.3 million to its super PAC, and the AFL-CIO transferred $3.1 million.
Enlarge Photo

The SEIU on Monday disbursed $2.2 million in salaries for canvassers from Sunday through Election Day. On Tuesday, it announced “aggressive” ad buys to “get out the vote in the African American and Latino communities.”
The radio ads accuse Mitt Romney of trying to suppress votes, and say that Hispanics and blacks would be playing into his hands if they didn’t vote.
Unions have also propped up so-called “boutique super PACs” — groups that unions wholly fund but that do not identify publicly as union fronts. The SEIU has given $1.8 million to an otherwise-unfunded group calling itself the Florida Freedom PAC to run pro-Obama ads.
The NEA and the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees have each given a half-million to Moving Ohio Forward. Unions have been the sole funders of each group, the latter of which has yet to begin spending.
When it comes to establishment Democratic super PACs, unions have made Senate races the priority, sending $11 million to Majority PAC, which is focused on that chamber, followed by $7 million to House Majority PAC.
Only $6 million of the $50 million raised by the Obama re-election super PAC, Priorities USA, has come from unions — suggesting that in an age in which celebrities and lawyers can give $1 million, unions could be less-essential money machines than they once were.
But unions have worked closely with Priorities on jointly financed ads, presenting a unified front even as a more splinted set of groups works on the Republican side, and lets Priorities benefit from SEIU’s Spanish-language experience in a slew of ads that moved the needle among that demographic.
“Unions have been critical partners and supporters of our effort to demonstrate how Romney’s policies would help multimillionaires like himself at the expense of hardworking families,” Priorities spokesman Brennan Bilberry said.
In addition, unions can spend directly from their treasuries — a privilege that came alongside corporations’ right to spend on politics after the Citizens United court ruling. AFSCME has spent $2.7 million from its general fund in recent months, while the AFL-CIO has spent $1 million through a nonprofit called Working America.
But the largest union-connected nonprofit is an aggressive group called Patriot Majority, with a self-professed mission to fight back against the billionaire industrialist Koch brothers’ “greed agenda” by adopting their tactics: making large ad buys — $5.3 million worth in recent months — without disclosing the source of its funds.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It won't be enough.

Too little too late and nothing to offer but fraud.

There simply are not enough graveyards in Ohio and Virginia to make the difference.

Kane

I respectfully ask all of you union schucks: Happy to see your hard-earned dues spent this way?

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I respectfully ask all of you union schucks: Happy to see your hard-earned dues spent this way?
They are too intimidated by their leadership (?) to speak the truth. Their lives would be holy hell if they bitched, and might even be ended for complaining.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To late is right on. I think everyone has seen enough political ads on TV and in their mail box that few pay attention to any of them any longer. The majority of us simply want the election to be here and done.

On the bright side the TV stations, Radio stations, newspapers, Print shops and the US Mail are all benefiting from the mountain of cash these folks are spending.

Whynot

You seem to be able to work a mouse and keyboard, so I respectfully ask you to use them to look up "Beck Rights". To sum it up, any Union member can "opt out" of any dues that do not go towards representation. If a member chooses not to opt out, then they must feel like their dues are going towards what they support. No different then privately donating to a persons campaign of choice.

They are too intimidated by their leadership (?) to speak the truth. Their lives would be holy hell if they bitched, and might even be ended for complaining.

If you call a single piece of paper mailed to your home that says "we support X, Y, & Z" intimidation, well I don't know what to tell you.

Intimidation to me would be receiving an email from my employer stating that if X is voted in then there is a good chance you will lose your job. It may be true, but it's meant to sway your decision since most of the time, those issues are not mentioned to an employee until they are handed their pink slip.

Gatorboy

The one thing nice about being a minority here in the Democratic State of Maryland ... we don't see any Presidential TV ads. With Obama enjoying a 22-point lead here, I can watch more Personal Injury Lawyer commercials.