• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Diesel vs. Gas Cans

DAP

Well, I came real close this time. I have an old YELLOW diesel fuel containter (5gal) that I have used since new for gasoline engines (don't ask).

When I got my Kubota, I bought the new blue Kerosene style 5 gal container thinking I would avoid an accidental mix up.

Went to the local filling station with both jugs as I'm preparing my LX288 mower and the B7800 for winter.

First I put diesel in the gas jug (even though its a YELLOW diesel jug) and upon realizing that I put GAS in the blue jug. FORTUNATELY, they were both empty or there abouts.

This is where the fun starts. I immediately come home and toss about 3 or 4 ounces of diesel into my JD gas machine. I finished filling it up with gas and ran half the tank through the machine with no apparent harm.

Can you say DUMB F****** A$$?????

Isn't there some sort of award for me here?

:applause:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Isn't there some sort of award for me here?

:applause:

I know a guy names Al that can get you on the inside track to a Nobel Peace Prize apparently they are giving them out to all sorts of idiots these days. :whistle:

(NOTE: Just an opportunity to bash Al Bore, not really intended to be an attack on you - I suspect you are a little too bright to get the award).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oops. Been there.

I try to use properly colored cans but it's not 100%. I took a big black permanent marker and put a big "K", "D" and "G" on each of the cans. I also labeled the small engine cans to avoid issues there (50-1, 32-1...). Just because I'm getting old, and can't always remember, I also labeled all the 2-cycle pieces of equipment. Next to each filler cap on the machine, I wrote what mix it takes.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
My Father in Law borrowed the neighbors brand new combine about 5 years ago. He told me to go fill it up. All of my FNL's stuff is diesel. As I am fillling this rented combine I am counting the spark plugs on the engine. And then I asked why am I filling this combine with diesel? The tank holds about 150 gallons and I put in about ten of diesel. My father in law not to worry it will be ok. I just didn't think this brand new combine would use gas.

murph

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
BLUE cans are for WATER
YELLOW cans are for DIESEL
RED cans are for GAS

Do yourself and someone else down the raod a favor and empty each can this time into the proper type of fuel tank.. Then flush all of them out with some diesel. Then fill them with the proper fuel. If your having problems remembering when you get home from the fuel sation what kinds of problems are you going to have in a week? A month? A Year? The BLUE cans should be tossed since they can never hold WATER like there supposed to.

You are Now Officially Nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize! Heres your sign.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
HHMMMmmm. I use to run diffrent expeditions and BLUE was stricly for water. Hell they even had a special blue food grade plastic lining. Keroseen was always yellow as was diesel.

BUT I guess there may be other color codes for diffrent countries.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
HHMMMmmm. I use to run diffrent expeditions and BLUE was stricly for water. Hell they even had a special blue food grade plastic lining. Keroseen was always yellow as was diesel.
It may be shade of blue and shape of can. Do a google search for 5 gallon Kerosene can and you'll see they're all blue and actually say kerosene on the can.

BUT I guess there may be other color codes for diffrent countries.
That's odd... I could have swore PA and NV were in the same country... :smileywac :poke:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
All of my water cans are blue and stamped water.

My Dad's kerosene can was dark green but that was 50 years ago.

Jim

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK you guys were talking about "toy" fuel containers not "REAL" fuel containers. Big diffrence.

Attachments

• Picture 75.png
    Picture 75.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 336
  • Picture 74.png
    Picture 74.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 347
  • Picture 73.png
    Picture 73.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 343

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Can you fill your fuel container, close the lid and throw it into an open fire pit? These you can and wont ignite. These are real fuel cans that wont leak EVER and will take 1000X more abuse than anything else out there. These are the only ones I will use. My brother has 20 of those crap plastic ones here at my house. I hate them and they always leak. They are crap!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You can also buy the Surplus Jerry cans from Sweden or Swiss and are the same thing for about $10 bucks. They will last forever!