• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

spare fuel ?

mattfidaho

how does every one carry spare diesel? I was thinking about strapping on a couple 5 gal jugs on the back for the just in case.... (so far we have never had an issue with even getting close to running out... but who knows..

so for any one that runs diesel, I wonder if there would be any issue with the fuel gelling while sitting in un heated jugs out in the weather...

I would think dumping it in well before you ran out in small quantity's would be ok.

any input?

luv2weld

SUPER Site Supporter
I use diesel treatment to prevent gelling. And just like you said, carry a couple of
cans strapped on the rear deck. If the fuel is gelling in the 5 gallon cans, then you
can bet it's gelling in the tank and the fuel lines.
Your worst enemy is moisture condensation. So keep the tank and all cans as full
as possible.

Ralph

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
as long as you don't have an emmissions engine you can run kerosine jet -a or heating oil#1 instead of diesel these poducts are all the same just a different tax structue if you run jet-a ensure you get it with out prist pre mixed if you have any water in the bottom of your tank prist will suspend it and it will be in your filters shortly if you have an emmissions engine with a dpf you have only one solution and that is #1 ulsd
all of these products should flow with out plugging fuel filters to - 45

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would cut it 50/50 with kero and gelling will not be an issue. Most diesel purchased after November in northern states has some blended already. You will notice a slight loss of power if you are working it hard as the btu output is lower for kero.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you do notice a difference in economy but on the smaller engines it's hard to feel the power in the seat of your pants in the larger engines like 777 haul trucks it can make the difference between shifting down a gear

snow dog

Matt,
How much fuel do you have on Board? Maybe you want to consider a larger main tank. I used to operate a tucker similar to yours and it had a 120 gal tank.

mattfidaho

25 Gallon Fuel Tank, and we haven't had any issues yet, but I could see where it could be an issue on extended runs.

SnoFarmer

A 50/50 mix of #1 &#2 diesel will be fine in all but the most extreme conditions -35 or lower or you could use an additive like power-service in the white bottle.

We attached 5gal Jerry cans to every cat in the fleet.
When your working a cat (grooming a ski area) you can burn up 50-60 gal in 7-8hrs.

Here is a pic from 81. You can see the can mounted just in front of the turret/ lift frame for the compactor bar.

Attachments

• SCAN0019.jpg
    SCAN0019.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 179