• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
H.R.45
Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009

Sponsor: Rep Rush, Bobby L. [IL-1] (introduced 1/6/2009)
Latest Major Action: 1/6/2009 Referred to House committee.

SUMMARY AS OF: 1/6/2009--Introduced.

Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to prohibit a person from possessing a firearm unless that person has been issued a firearm license under this Act or a state system certified under this Act and such license has not been invalidated or revoked. Prescribes license application, issuance, and renewal requirements.

Prohibits transferring or receiving a qualifying firearm unless the recipient presents a valid firearms license, the license is verified, and the dealer records a tracking authorization number. Prescribes firearms transfer reporting and record keeping requirements. Directs the Attorney General to establish and maintain a federal record of sale system.

Prohibits: (1) transferring a firearm to any person other than a licensee, unless the transfer is processed through a licensed dealer in accordance with national instant criminal background check system requirements, with exceptions; (2) a licensed manufacturer or dealer from failing to comply with reporting and record keeping requirements of this Act; (3) failing to report the loss or theft of the firearm to the Attorney General within 72 hours; (4) failing to report to the Attorney General an address change within 60 days; or (5) keeping a loaded firearm, or an unloaded firearm and ammunition for the firearm, knowingly or recklessly disregarding the risk that a child is capable of gaining access, if a child uses the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury.

Prescribes criminal penalties for violations of firearms provisions covered by this Act.

Directs the Attorney General to: (1) establish and maintain a firearm injury information clearinghouse; (2) conduct continuing studies and investigations of firearm-related deaths and injuries; and (3) collect and maintain current production and sales figures of each licensed manufacturer.

Authorizes the Attorney General to certify state firearm licensing or record of sale systems.

See the entire text at [link to www.rightparty.org]

a) In General- In order to be issued a firearm license under this title, an individual shall submit to the Attorney General (in accordance with the regulations promulgated under subsection (b)) an application, which shall include--

(1) a current, passport-sized photograph of the applicant that provides a clear, accurate likeness of the applicant;

(2) the name, address, and date and place of birth of the applicant;

(3) any other name that the applicant has ever used or by which the applicant has ever been known;

(4) a clear thumb print of the applicant, which shall be made when, and in the presence of the entity to whom, the application is submitted;

(5) with respect to each category of person prohibited by Federal law, or by the law of the State of residence of the applicant, from obtaining a firearm, a statement that the individual is not a person prohibited from obtaining a firearm;

(6) a certification by the applicant that the applicant will keep any firearm owned by the applicant safely stored and out of the possession of persons who have not attained 18 years of age;

(7) a certificate attesting to the completion at the time of application of a written firearms examination, which shall test the knowledge and ability of the applicant regarding--

(A) the safe storage of firearms, particularly in the vicinity of persons who have not attained 18 years of age;

(B) the safe handling of firearms;

(C) the use of firearms in the home and the risks associated with such use;

(D) the legal responsibilities of firearms owners, including Federal, State, and local laws relating to requirements for the possession and storage of firearms, and relating to reporting requirements with respect to firearms; and

(E) any other subjects, as the Attorney General determines to be appropriate;

(8) an authorization by the applicant to release to the Attorney General or an authorized representative of the Attorney General any mental health records pertaining to the applicant;

(9) the date on which the application was submitted; and

(10) the signature of the applicant.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
keeping in mind I do not like any form of legislation like this, overall it's no different than what I had to go through to get my concealed carry permit.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If they try to impose this I think that in some areas there will be blood in the streets as people resist.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
If they try to impose this I think that in some areas there will be blood in the streets as people resist.

Who would be bloody? Would a tanker full of blood hit a bump and overturn thus spilling blood on the streets? I dont see the connection

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
this would be a law that owuld make lawbreakers out of a LOT of otherwise conscientious folks.
there are also many large urban centers where illicit gun sales would continue, and many of those sellers would consider it "cheaper" to shoot at law enforcement types and take their chances at being caught than in stopping their business dealings....
Many of these types are already in violation of the law merely by posessing firearms, but that hasn't stopped them so far, so why would this proposed new law do anything but make it more difficult for citizens to obtain legal firearms in a legal and timely manner?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't claim to know the firearm restrictions in Memphis, TN, more specifically Shelby County TN, but one of my clients was a recently retired sheriff there. He told me that he'd strongly suggest taking the chance of breaking their stupid laws than to not know where you are going and travel all around Memphis unarmed. I think he said something like he'd rather be alive and wrong rather than dead and right.

I can't comment on whether I took his advice. :whistling:

Glink

Site Supporter
If a man can be turned into a criminal with the stroke of a pen, that man should then act like a criminal.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
Ayn Rand

Locutus

Banned
Look at the bright side. This is so radical, that mabe when he goes home to his district, the good folks there will drag the sumnabitch out of his house and hang him! :clap::clap::clap:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
here's a mental image for you: being stoned to death by a deluge of cheap handguns... picture if you will, a crowd of people throwing their potentially illegal jennings, raven, and similar chrome plated, plastic pearlite handled POS's at him until he's buried under the pile...

Locutus

Banned
here's a mental image for you: being stoned to death by a deluge of cheap handguns... picture if you will, a crowd of people throwing their potentially illegal jennings, raven, and similar chrome plated, plastic pearlite handled POS's at him until he's buried under the pile...

:jumpingSm:jumpingSm:jumpingSm