• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Ant and the Grasshopper

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The Ant and the Grasshopper

Two Different Versions! Two Different Morals!

OLD VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.' Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of welfare recipients.

The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ant ee government

Yep and I am ant ee government. I don't believe the working should pay for all the non working. It breeds laziness. Also keep in mind I know there is people out there that really need help and just have not been able to make it, I don't mind helping them. But the lazy only get lazier when the government steps in to help.

daedong

Yep and I am ant ee government. I don't believe the working should pay for all the non working. It breeds laziness. Also keep in mind I know there is people out there that really need help and just have not been able to make it, I don't mind helping them. But the lazy only get lazier when the government steps in to help.

This is a very simplistic view.

Why then has Australia now got very low unemployment , much lower than 10 or 15 years ago, yet we have had very little change in our very generous social security system over this same period?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Unemployment and Welfare are two different things. Unemployment you can only be on so long. Welfare you can get on it and stay on it. In fact most people in the US once they are on welfare won't go off because once they are off it is hell to get back on. Why work when you can get it free. I get people coming in my door all the time asking to do side jobs that I can pay them cash for. When I ask them why cash they tell me because they are on welfare and if I pay them with check they loose their welfare. The government system sucks. No drive to get off or better themselves.

daedong

I will stand corrected but unemployment benefits in Australia has no expiry to my knowledge.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Unemployment can be stretched for some time but not as long as welfare.

But the ant and the grasshopper story is very real of what is happening in the United States today and the left party plays on it to get votes. Why would the grasshopper work if he can get it free? Other grasshoppers see this and do the same. The ant says if I have to give all away or have it stolen why should I work and or goes away.

Same example within some of the unions in the United States. Young guy comes in and wants to make fair living and works his butt off. After a while the other members of the union tell him he needs to slow down cause he is making the rest look bad. With time he is forced to slow down and do less. And why should the good workers work any harder than the bad workers since the pay is the same?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Why then has Australia now got very low unemployment , much lower than 10 or 15 years ago, yet we have had very little change in our very generous social security system over this same period?

John Howard is why! :thumb:

daedong

Unemployment can be stretched for some time but not as long as welfare.

But the ant and the grasshopper story is very real of what is happening in the United States today and the left party plays on it to get votes. Why would the grasshopper work if he can get it free? Other grasshoppers see this and do the same. The ant says if I have to give all away or have it stolen why should I work and or goes away.

Same example within some of the unions in the United States. Young guy comes in and wants to make fair living and works his butt off. After a while the other members of the union tell him he needs to slow down cause he is making the rest look bad. With time he is forced to slow down and do less. And why should the good workers work any harder than the bad workers since the pay is the same?

The vast majority of folk want to pay their own way in life. How ever there are time due to factor they have no control over they are unable to. The bludgers on society are small in numbers so therefore it is mean to not help out the unfortunate that few that from time to time find themselves unemployed.
The union bit is another argument.

PB you prove my point, maybe it was John Howard, it is simply simplistic to say "But the lazy only get lazier when the government steps in to help"