• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stephen Hawking's life would be worthless if he lived in the UK

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
“People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn’t have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless”

- Investor's Business Daily, pushing the deathers Death Panel lies.

But Hawking was born in the UK and has lived all his life there! He has relied on the NHS since he was diagnosed as a starving student, age 21. He never could have afforded private insurance. In his words
"I wouldn't be here today if it were not for the NHS," he told The Guardian. "I have received a large amount of high-quality treatment without which I would not have survived."
The comments following are excellent. Strange that that this is where the national debate is really taking place, not at the lying IBD or the staged theater townhalls.

"The real irony is that in our system in the US, he would have probably died, or at best he would have had to live on the streets. He was diagnosed before he was famous."

"I've worked in the NHS and personally dished out treatments for adults and children that they would not have a hope of being able to afford without universal healthcare."

"This is almost as good as the guy screaming "Keep government's hands off my medicare!"