• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Beds

daedong

Not sure this is the right place for this thread but it wil do.
I need 2 beds for the new holiday home so I have decided to make them myself (need to save money). I have two ideas in my head of what I will make, they will be different to one another. One will have a rustic wrought iron appearance the other you will see as it progresses. The one with the wrought iron appearance I will be venturing into something I have never done before so it could turn into a public embarrassment, but I can handle that. here is the first step. I spent a few hours today, mixing play dough, made a dough mold and poured latex on it. here is a pic of step one.
Please bear with me this project will take a few weeks at least.
DSCF2770.jpg

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
that's going to look pretty slick - what are you going to cast it with? fiberglass for low weight?

daedong

We need a bed in a hurry so I have done the easy one first. I will not start the other for a few weeks. Sorry that I never took progressive pic.
bedjan09019.jpg
bedjan09010.jpg

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
very nice!
is the wood panel plyboard stained and finished, or a solid piece of something like jarrah or eucalyptus?
also - what did you use to finish the metal?
baked powdercoat or sprayed epoxy enamel?
excellent job!

daedong

Erik, just enamel, the timber is just MDF board with a veneer niata (sp) a Malaysian hard wood I think, its been kicking around the shed for years.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Vin have you added on the one done a center strip of timber top to bottom on the slats on the underside with a center support leg??

I only ask as i added this to my sons bed when i made it( His bed is made from Timber only).....i also made a slide out under draw as a space saver for storage....very simple and yet effective.

I look forward to following your progress.

daedong

I told lies in the earlier post, Mary did take one lot of pics earlier but they did not look good so I never posted them but here is one that is not too bad. It will not need any more supports the RHS has 2mm thick walls.
bedjan09004.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good work Vin. Looks good.
The other project will be interesting to follow. :thumb: