• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dent, broken mirror & my neighbor's mailbox

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the lovely Mrs_Bob was teaching Dasha how to drive. They were out in her little Audi convertible. Dasha loved it.

I was then enlisted to take her out again the next day. Again in the lovely Mrs_Bob's convertible. Dasha was doing well. She found the lever for the "sport" mode. Loved that even more.

So she was getting brave and wanted to take out Melen's car. Melen's car has a TDI Cup spec race engine and its pretty zippy. Not a high top speed but lots of torque and tons of acceleration. Dasha found the sport mode again.

She was going up and own our private road (about a mile and a half with a nice curve).

On the the pick up truck with the wide turning radius. No sport mode. She was barely moving, got to the turn around point and the turning radius, which is almost 50% larger than in the 2 prior cars, was causing trouble. She was in the middle of a 3 point turn (maybe a 5 point?) and foot came off the brake, hit the accelerator pedal, and BOOM.

My truck has a broken mirror, a dent in the hood that looks like it can be popped out pretty easily, and some plastic from the mailbox rubbed into the paint. That will buff out without an issue. So I need a mirror and the help of my friend at his body shop to pop out the dent :unsure:

Fortunately I know this neighbor. He's a good guy. Sent him an email to please check his mail box because there was an accident where it somehow jumped out into the roadway and injured my truck. He checked, he said no issue.

Attachments

• ws7XDWJvT5y6v8dTxujPnw.jpg
    ws7XDWJvT5y6v8dTxujPnw.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 113
  • VSAmlCdxTmK4FOEaO9T5Rw.jpg
    VSAmlCdxTmK4FOEaO9T5Rw.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 117

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Untrained, unruly mailboxes can create issues. Your neighbor is lucky you are being so kind.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Untrained, unruly mailboxes can create issues. Your neighbor is lucky you are being so kind.

He and I traded a couple emails about it. Apparently I'm the first who actually told him they hit it. But apparently not the first to hit it.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
our postmaster said we have the right to have a safe place to get mail and can move the box to a different place. I moved all 3 boxes off the hiway to a wide driveway and eliminated the car damage to it. you may suggest something to your neighbor .

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Not your truck again!! I am NOT superstitious in the least, but I do swear to God your truck is cursed. That rig loves body shops. :yum::yum:

BTW, one of my rules in life is no one under 40 gets behind the wheel of my vehicles. I even demand to ride along during vehicle road tests as part of the state vehicle inspection program. No joke. When it comes to my vehicles I am a prick.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not your truck again!! I am NOT superstitious in the least, but I do swear to God your truck is cursed. That rig loves body shops. :yum::yum:

Oh there is more to this truck and damage than I can describe. The lovely Mrs_Bob returned home from Albuquerque with a fresh scratch down the side.

So this little mailbox mishap is just adding to the ongoing drama of damage. And the new wheel well to wheel well long scratch is the same side as the new mailbox damage ... and that is all the same side as the previous damage caused when it was hit while parked in a driveway.

So pretty much :shitHitFan: