• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

crazy med prices!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
finally got out of hospital yesterday. while I was there we started the new cancer drug. $150 per pill!! Take 2 per day so it adds up fast.:hammer:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Hope the new pills are doing you some good!....glad to see ya on the board!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
finally got out of hospital yesterday. while I was there we started the new cancer drug. $150 per pill!! Take 2 per day so it adds up fast.:hammer:

Glad you're home!

I have some pills that are expensive. So far the insurance covers them.

Jim

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Just last week I was bitching about the cost of my meds but you guys have got me beat by a long way.

But, as RS said, "What's the alternative?".

Leni

Just last week I was bitching about the cost of my meds but you guys have got me beat by a long way.

But, as RS said, "What's the alternative?".

So very true. So far everything is covered by my insurance. $1,800 a day in meds is unbelievable. Sure hope your insurance covers that.

Glad you're finally home Muley. Let Mrs Mule pamper you for a while.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to be out and back in my own house for sure. The leg pain from all the fluid is hard to deal with but I am moving better today. will be a long recovery to get all the swelling down. I just hope the new cancer drug shrinks the spleen and relieves some of the pressure. Got a bunch of doc appt. for next Monday and we will go from there.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys make me realize how fortunate I am.. So far in my life my medications and hospital stays have totaled less than a couple of thousand. Been in a hospital once overnight after a hit and run bike accident. Never anything past aspirin for medication.

Last edited:

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
It's a racket. Yet another example of just how broken everything is.

not really,... my last operation was over $600,000, plus 10 days in the IC unit, a pair of nurses that shared duty and never left my side 24/7 , the surgeon (and her staff) was flown in from Sweden to Florida.

my insurance covered EVERYTHING, except for my hosp meals ($25/day).

but, all things considered, I would rather have not experience it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am fortunate all my pills now are generic.

Ditto my meds.

But both my dog and my daughter are Type 1 insulin dependant diabetics.
My daughter's insulin is $1400 per month.
My dog's insulin is $68 per month.​
:glare:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
All of you should look into getting your meds out of Canada. I got pissed at paying $200.00 a month for mine and looked at options. I found that buying straight out of Canada is the best alternative available.

Canada provides a list of pharmacies that are approved to sell real drugs and not imitations. I take 2 prescription drugs, one for blood pressure and one for cholesterol. Both are expensive and not available through generic alternatives. I can buy both of these, manufactured by the same drug company that sells them here in the US, for about 1/2 of what I pay for them here.

Apparently Canada buy's these drugs in HUGE volumes and therefore can resell them at a much lower cost than what we (you and I) pay here in the US.

It's easy to do. Just fax your prescription to one of the approved pharmacies (or take a picture of the prescription and email it to them) and they will send you the exact same prescription at a fraction of what you are used to paying here in the US.

Really, it's easy. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Jim

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
All of you should look into getting your meds out of Canada. I got pissed at paying $200.00 a month for mine and looked at options. I found that buying straight out of Canada is the best alternative available.

Canada provides a list of pharmacies that are approved to sell real drugs and not imitations. I take 2 prescription drugs, one for blood pressure and one for cholesterol. Both are expensive and not available through generic alternatives. I can buy both of these, manufactured by the same drug company that sells them here in the US, for about 1/2 of what I pay for them here.

Apparently Canada buy's these drugs in HUGE volumes and therefore can resell them at a much lower cost than what we (you and I) pay here in the US.

It's easy to do. Just fax your prescription to one of the approved pharmacies (or take a picture of the prescription and email it to them) and they will send you the exact same prescription at a fraction of what you are used to paying here in the US.

Really, it's easy. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

Jim

Canada, like the rest of the world, pays little for the research. Most is done on the US dime.

It's the old story, the first pill costs 100 million. the second, two cents.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Canada, like the rest of the world, pays little for the research. Most is done on the US dime.

So the choice is yours my friend. Do you want to continue to pay $$$$ or do you want to pay $$?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Actually, the insurance companies rarely pay the "face" rate of any hospital bill. They pay a reduced rate behind the scenes. The hospital has to charge these high prices to cover all the expenses/services the government has either restricted them from charging for forced them to provide to people with no insurance or government insurance. I strongly doubt that your surgery really cost $600,000. It may have cost that much but a lot of people profited from that fee along the way. Swedish surgeons don't fly to the US for "humanitarian" purposes. A bunch of hospital managers and business people made some cash along the way too. But its really nice that you think it was worth it - keeps the system broken.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So the choice is yours my friend. Do you want to continue to pay $$$$ or do you want to pay $$?

So far, as I stated, I have paid nothing. When and if the time comes, then I will make the decision.

However, the US consumer footing the R & D bill for the rest of the world just seems wrong.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Time to bring back the medicine man. Someone shot a lot of pheasants for that kinky head dress. :yum:

Attachments

• Dave_Boucher - Medicine Man.jpg
    Dave_Boucher - Medicine Man.jpg
    959.5 KB · Views: 137

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i hear yinz-- when u hafta say to yourself, 'i really ought buy that yogurt, except my medicine is due in soon'--

yeah.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Where did you find that picture of Kirk? I was going to snap a pic of him in Iowa but he said nobody can snap his pic.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

Oh how I wish that were true.

It is, but just sorta.

Canada does buy in volume yes, and they do name the price they will charge at the pharmacy. But the similarities end there.

Our system is very different. Even Walmart could not get prices down on man drugs. Not only are they not a big enough buyer, they must operate under USA laws and the exposure to liability lawsuits. So the cost in Canada to deliver a $0.50 pill is easily twice that here in the USA.

And new drug discoveries happen all over the world. Not just here. That assumption is rather arrogant.

Israel has a large pharma industry.