• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gas meter / piping size????

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I want to put in a gas tankles water heater. It is rated at 199,000 BTU. Our furnace is rated at 100,000 BTU. We have a a gas fireplace of unknown BTU input.

Our current meter is a Rockwell rated at 175 Cu Ft / hr, or about 179,000 BTU.

Has anyone ever asked the gas company to put in a bigger meter - how much of a hastle is that?

What size pipe do I need to handle 350,000 btu or 340 Cu Ft / hr? Will 1 1/4" pipe do, or will I have to upsize the delivery pipe? The incoming supply is a 1 1/4 pipe as well.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The gas company around here will upgrade your meter at no charge. Now that may be different in your area. One other thing they do a lot is to convert from low pressure gas to 2psi gas which allows you to have a much smaller line. Don't have the charts here at home to give you the sizing.

murph