• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to the Forum: Need Snow Trac parts

Larry in Alaska

Well I have finally decided to enter the large world of e-mail forum, the main reason was to obtain parts for my ST-4 Snow Trac, I am looking for solid rubber tires for the front runners as well as misc. track parts, guides,etc.
Please let me know if anyone has any or knows where to obtain them.
Thanks
Larry in Alaska
ndecon @ gci.net

Edit by bczoom: Larry - I put some spaces in your e-mail address so crawlers don't find it and you start getting a bunch of junk e-mail.
All - to e-mail Larry, remove the spaces in his e-mail address.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Larry, let me be the first to welcome you to the Forums. I'm one of the moderators here on the ForumsForums. The snowcat areas are pretty slow this time of the year, but hopefully you'll get some answers.

It might help if you could tell what year ST4 you have, since there are a couple different track configurations that I am aware of. Do you have 2 belts for each track or do you have 3 belts? The guide pieces are different for the 2 belt Snow Tracs than for the 3 belt Snow Tracs. Also, do you have 2 large wheels/tires on each side (one in front, one in back) or do you have 1 large wheel/tire on each side (one in back with small tires all the way to the front sprocket)?

If you don't know what year your Snow Trac is, you can use the cross reference chart if you can find your serial number.

Here is a link to the serial number chart, find your serial number and it will tell you what year yours is: Serial #s and Production #s.

Larry in Alaska

Thanks for the fast response, my Snow Trac body SN is 242, it has one large wheel in the rear and six smaller tires on the track, I don't know at this time about the belts, this machine has been changed over to a VW Rabbit water cooled engine if that makes any difference. I'll try to make a trip over to the machine location and determine the belt configuration later.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Serial Number 242 is a very early year, 1962. I believe that makes it a 2 belt unit but I'm not really sure about that. The reason that is so important is because the tire guides for the tracks are different on the 2 belt and 3 belt units. So you have to be sure that the guides you buy are for the right type.

By the way, I think you may find that there are people curious about the water cooled engine conversion.

Did you convert to the Rabbit engine or did you buy it after someone else converted it?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Pipeline Inspectors

Still Got that cabin at the lake? Well Folks, this guy used to be MY BOSS! back around the time I wrote the Hot VW's and VW Trends Articles. Larry's machine has a Disk Brake, off a Buick I think, welded on to one of the drive sprockets inside the engine compartment. Rather Unique!

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Larry,
We would love some pictures of the disk brake and the rabbit engine!!!!!
Welcome to the forum!