• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow depth

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
WELL AS I HAVE SAID IN ANOTHER POST I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A 1202 FROM BILL AT SNOTRAN AND I UNDERSTAND THE THE GROUND PRESSER NUMBERS AND THAT IS GOOD IF YOU ARE COMPARING CATS. BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN IN THE REAL WORLD . I HAVE BEEN RIDING SNOWMOBILES FOR YEARS AND KNOW THAT WITH SPEED AND POWER THE SNOW DEPTH IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT. BUT THIS CAT WILL BE RUN AT BETWEEN 9000 AN 11000 FT OUT SIDE STEAMBOAT SPRINGS CO. GIVEN IT HAS A 300CID FORD THAT IS CAPABLE OF 16 MPH ON A GOOD DAY SPEED AND POWER WILL NOT BE ONE OF IT'S HIGH POINTS MOST OF THE TIME IT WILL JUST TRAVEL 4 MI TO AND FROM MY CABIN . SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT DEPTH OF POWDER WILL IT RUN IN OR IF I CANT SEE THE STONES ON THE ROAD DO I PARK IT OR IS THAT WHY IT SEEMS ALL MOST EVERYONE HAS MORE THEN ONE. WHEN I CAN FIGUER OUT HOW I WILL POST PIC.

P.S. I HAVE FOUND #2 BUT IT DOESENT RUN

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I dont know the exact powder capability of your cat but they come very highly recomended for that use. For reference, an average man exerts approx 3psi on the surface he walks on. My cat exerts approx. 1 psi, so I can drive where I cant walk very well. Divide the weight of your cat by the sq inches of track on the ground to get your psi.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am not any expert by far but I will tell you my experiences. I own a small cat a Raidtrac It has low psi numbers .4-.75 depending on how heavy it is loaded. I do not think any amount of fresh powder would stick it on a flat area. Hills are my main problem I have not found a hill that I tried to climb that I could not make it up, sometimes I had to pack a path but I made it up. This was the first snowstorm of the year with 4-5ft of DRY powder on the trail. it was a 25-30% grade in places for 2 miles. Power was my main problem.
I have drove Mtntopper's LMC 1200 THAT MACHINE IS AWESOME!!!!! Lots of power, turns good, great all around cat!!!:thumb: This was at the 8-9,000 ft level. Though I did not drive it in powder he has said it performed well. I am sure he will have some comments here as well.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Your Thiokol puts down about .60 PSI. This is very good. BUT as with anything you need to be able to feel what its doing under you. In other words I have seen guys spinning tracks and will be giving it more power because they dont understand why they are not going as fast as before. They bury themselves. The feeling will come with time. You have a very good cat for deep powder. Is it the best? No but it can go just about anywhere other people can go. experience will be your number one asset. Just have fun. You have a great snowcat!

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the feed back that helps. I also saw a move that someone posted and it appears that the approach angle is greater on the front then the back to let you back out even if you cant go forward.

shovanl

SUPER Site Supporter
Here are pictures of my new snow cat.

Attachments

• HPIM0618.jpg
    HPIM0618.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 135
  • HPIM0619.jpg
    HPIM0619.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 135
  • HPIM0620.jpg
    HPIM0620.jpg