• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Prepping for biological disaster

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The wife just called me, she went to Lodi Ca. to do some shopping and went by Costco for a few things. We have 3 Costco T/P bulk packs right now so it won't bother us but there is 0 T/P or water in the store, she asked about other stores and was told there is no T/P in any Costco in northern Ca. We don't have any cases right around here. What I'm seeing now is if we or you get some in your area there will be a run on the grocery stores so if you need something you can't live without you better get it now. Tomorrow I am going to pick up 2- 55 gallon drums of diesel and 1 gas plus keep everything full. I am going to fill all my propane tanks to. Seems like its starting to get real around here. Marty

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One cannot eat or drink either of those to survive.
I've had this alcohol and hand sanitizer for years and it wasn't bought as a prep item. I use it for starting fires or heating.

Have you seen the price of hand sanitizer lately? It's $1-2 per OUNCE! I'm thinking of listing some for $100/gallon. If it moves and I sell 100 gallons, that's a tidy $10K.

I'm all set on the other things you mentioned. I've been doing this for at least 25 years. ;)

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to sound tin hat but more main stream financial news outlets are now warning that if the world does not get this under control in rapid fashion it could be the black swan event that brings down the world economy.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The wife just called me, she went to Lodi Ca. to do some shopping and went by Costco for a few things. We have 3 Costco T/P bulk packs right now so it won't bother us but there is 0 T/P or water in the store, she asked about other stores and was told there is no T/P in any Costco in northern Ca. We don't have any cases right around here. What I'm seeing now is if we or you get some in your area there will be a run on the grocery stores so if you need something you can't live without you better get it now. Tomorrow I am going to pick up 2- 55 gallon drums of diesel and 1 gas plus keep everything full. I am going to fill all my propane tanks to. Seems like its starting to get real around here. Marty
. Still have to fill the propane and a few other things then I'm going to stay home unless I absolutely have to go out.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 204

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It's Wings Wednesday so I met my wife in town for lunch. Out of curiosity I swung by the grocery store. There was still plenty of everything on the shelves including TP and paper towels. I strolled over to the pharmacy and the only space on their shelves was hand sanitizer. It was absolutely bare, every brand gone, nothing. I asked the pharmacist about it and he said it's been like that for two weeks. Every time they put out a new shipment, it disappears.

I was talking to Kacey Musgraves grandmother at lunch. She had just got back from attending a concert in Nashville to aid the tornado victims. She said it was the very first time at a C&W concert that the smell of Purell actually overpowered the smell of weed. She's a funny ol' girl. :)

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't want to sound tin hat but more main stream financial news outlets are now warning that if the world does not get this under control in rapid fashion it could be the black swan event that brings down the world economy.

DOW is now off more than 20% and trading halted again.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Unload my fuel yesterday. Today I topped off all vehicles and fuel cans. The T/P and hand sanitizer is all bought up now and just like in Wuhan when people start dieing around here there will be runs on the grocery stores and the gas station. I don't know how bad the illness will be but the economic damage is going to happen. I am now home unless I absolutely have to go out. Europe is getting there ass kicked and we will to but not as bad. I hope.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My daughters roommate left to drive home to Detroit (area) this morning. An hour later she’s back. Her mom is sick. Ordered her to stay at the apartment. No clue if Covid-19 is even in the Detroit area but this is how fear spreads. Seems a bit irrational to me.

As we are leaving the apartment tomorrow we will leave her as much food as we can. We planned to take it with us so it would not spoil but she will need it here.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
My daughters roommate left to drive home to Detroit (area) this morning. An hour later she’s back. Her mom is sick. Ordered her to stay at the apartment. No clue if Covid-19 is even in the Detroit area but this is how fear spreads. Seems a bit irrational to me.

As we are leaving the apartment tomorrow we will leave her as much food as we can. We planned to take it with us so it would not spoil but she will need it here.

!000% agree the virus is secondary now the panic will ensue and cause more damage than the illness. I am not reading about it effecting Africa or South America very much. This lends credit to the theory that like other Corona viruses that it does not like hot humid weather. Pray for summer. Marty

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
!000% agree the virus is secondary now the panic will ensue and cause more damage than the illness. I am not reading about it effecting Africa or South America very much. This lends credit to the theory that like other Corona viruses that it does not like hot humid weather. Pray for summer. Marty

I hope that you're right Marty.

As I said in another thread, I got my diesel and gas topped off today. I could handle more gas but don't feel the need at present.

We were due to take the motorhome on a trip to Fredericksburg in the Hill Country at the end of the month but my wife said that she would feel more comfortable staying at home. So, staying at home it is then. Still plenty of time to decide on the Colorado trip in the summer.

Otherwise life goes on as normal. All civic functions and things around here have been or will be cancelled so our social life just got shot to hell. I'm not ready to hunker down just yet.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One of my fencing students posted these photos. This is the Aldi grocery store yesterday. I shop this store. She posted these pictures on her FB page.

Clearly people are walking around with blinders on and in full blown panic mode.

Attachments

• CA1B161A-00DD-4DF4-B6EE-DA1F55FC9C3B.png
    CA1B161A-00DD-4DF4-B6EE-DA1F55FC9C3B.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 197
  • 77E17CFD-503D-4238-BF92-7225E9D20E31.png
    77E17CFD-503D-4238-BF92-7225E9D20E31.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 193
  • F05C380F-C93E-4DD5-9F3B-2280F9A41A5A.png
    F05C380F-C93E-4DD5-9F3B-2280F9A41A5A.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 180
  • 6CF4CA9E-6CDB-4325-9D24-04F9EEE74B00.png
    6CF4CA9E-6CDB-4325-9D24-04F9EEE74B00.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 173

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Melensdad, that is shocking. It hasn't reached that stage here yet but no doubt it will come.

They announced yesterday that they had 2 cases of the virus in Tyler, Texas, about 30 miles from where I am. They had both returned from travel abroad. It's creeping closer.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom went shopping Wednesday. No issues, shelves were full. Went again yesterday (payday) and it was a madhouse with shelves being emptied.

The governor of PA just closed all K-12 schools in the State for 2 weeks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We just got home from Bloomington.

Sort of surreal. I was in the Kroger yesterday morning and it felt like a civilized veneer over panic. Then last evening the lovely Mrs_Bob and I walked into a very nice liquor store that was having a wine tasting. So 2 very different experiences in the same town.

This morning we packed up the car and, about noon, departed for home.

Somewhere on the south side of Indianapolis I stopped for some fuel. There was a WalMart Pantry grocery store and the lovely Mrs_Bob asked if I could drop her at the door, she wanted some cherry tomatoes. 30 minutes later she arrived with a cart full of food, but said it was like the apocalypse inside the store, which she described as looking like it was "looted" by the customers.

Her photos from today:

Attachments

• 60590122970__3EE9F718-5CE5-47B2-9F3D-3579BD25C84F.jpeg
    60590122970__3EE9F718-5CE5-47B2-9F3D-3579BD25C84F.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 60590124498__49CD34E7-5805-4B93-9E91-3D8AA038D789.jpeg
    60590124498__49CD34E7-5805-4B93-9E91-3D8AA038D789.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 60590133468__E41D4791-C934-4306-A71B-8BC84ED1B1B8.jpeg
    60590133468__E41D4791-C934-4306-A71B-8BC84ED1B1B8.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 60590136708__6624397A-8A18-46E8-B16B-B4CD814DAB8F.jpeg
    60590136708__6624397A-8A18-46E8-B16B-B4CD814DAB8F.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 60590137409__BD9702E5-EBDC-4521-87BC-FC4E0F0936D3.jpeg
    60590137409__BD9702E5-EBDC-4521-87BC-FC4E0F0936D3.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 60590139958__0D9E153A-7EE2-4522-A55F-E3D20C6E83FA.jpg
    60590139958__0D9E153A-7EE2-4522-A55F-E3D20C6E83FA.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 60590153678__0E7C718A-AC67-4E9F-AF56-D5F4286B3DA6.jpg
    60590153678__0E7C718A-AC67-4E9F-AF56-D5F4286B3DA6.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 164

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We are stocked up for at least 90 days and no worries. Already had a years supply of T-paper and other paper products on hand.

BUT, I still hit the grocery store once a week for eggs, milk and veggies so we shall see what 7AM on Monday brings. I may be in for a rude awakening I fear if the bastards have taken all my eggs and cheese. :boxing::th_lmao:

The local Costco had to stop allowing more customers into the store for two hours the rush was so bad yesterday. I wonder how many new preppers we will now have culled from those that have learned their lesson this time. LOL.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Trying not to be a scare monger but now the the panic buying has begun the stores are being wiped out as fast as it can show up. The next shoe to drop is all of the stores have warehouses that they draw from and if they are not being filled up as fast as they are being emptied out they will not be anymore.
I am a contractor that services food processing plants, canneries and can manufacturing plants. This is how that industry works.

1- The can plants start up in February to build enough can inventory by July when the fresh pack around here happens then continue until October when the season ends.
2- the fresh pack happens in the summer because that is when they have the product to put in the cans.
3- right now there are not many cans and no product to put into them until July.
4- canned meat can happen anytime but you still need the cans. Marty

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Trying not to be a scare monger but now the the panic buying has begun the stores are being wiped out as fast as it can show up. The next shoe to drop is all of the stores have warehouses that they draw from and if they are not being filled up as fast as they are being emptied out they will not be anymore.
I am a contractor that services food processing plants, canneries and can manufacturing plants. This is how that industry works.

1- The can plants start up in February to build enough can inventory by July when the fresh pack around here happens then continue until October when the season ends.
2- the fresh pack happens in the summer because that is when they have the product to put in the cans.
3- right now there are not many cans and no product to put into them until July.
4- canned meat can happen anytime but you still need the cans. Marty

Yup, great points. I am already thinking on how to stretch our 90 day supply out to 180 days. Hmmmm, easy really. Eat half as much. :th_lmao:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Trying not to be a scare monger but now the the panic buying has begun the stores are being wiped out as fast as it can show up. The next shoe to drop is all of the stores have warehouses that they draw from and if they are not being filled up as fast as they are being emptied out they will not be anymore....
I used to own a warehouse that supplied products, including some food items, to C-Stores, Gas Stations, smaller Grocery stores, etc.

I agree. Warehouses will draw off manufacturer's inventory. They will ship too retail. Stores will actually be restocked very quickly but if the 'panic' buying continues it the supply chain will run short. The manufacturers can o?ly ship what they have + what they can quickly produce.

Eventually it will stabilize and people will have their own food stored. The question is when will that happen and how many products will be out of stock for extended periods of time.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Take note of all the items that are in short supply now. When the panic buying stops and the shelves are all full again check the prices of what was in short supply.
Mike

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I am not going to get into any of my storage until either there is none to buy or its too scary to go get it even if it costs a lot more.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
One of my fencing students posted these photos. This is the Aldi grocery store yesterday. I shop this store. She posted these pictures on her FB page.

Clearly people are walking around with blinders on and in full blown panic mode.

That first picture is the Aldi store in Corinth Ms.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Great news!!! A friend just called me and he got me a 25 pound box of McKenzie linked hot dogs from a Restaurant Supply place he has connections with.

Oh happy day!!! I will pick them up tomorrow and get them vacuum sealed and in the freezer. My prep work is now officially complete! :clap:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
After I quit mowing today because of the rain, I was sitting around doing nothing when my wife walked in and said, "Frank, if you're in town before me can you swing by the grocery store and pick up some potatoes". PANIC. A Scotsman without potatoes is like a bird without wings, that sucker ain't goin' to fly, bro'!

I get dressed and head in to the store. I had been there on Wednesday and everything was just fine. What a difference a day, or two or three, makes. Don't get me wrong, there was still plenty of stuff there but the place was totally picked over. Basics like potatoes, bread, eggs and the like were totally gone. I got the last two little bags of potatoes.

Just for shits and giggles I swung in to the paper products aisle just to see what was happening. Not much. Everything was gone except for 2 boxes of Kleenex Tissues and a double pack of paper towels that were absolutely mangled. It was fully stocked on Wednesday. Even all the paper plates were gone. How the hell are you going to wipe your ass with a paper plate?

I decided to cut my losses and leave. On the way to the check-out I saw a young woman pull about a dozen pizzas from the freezer and dump them in to her cart. For some strange reason my first thought was that they are all the same type and flavor. That's going to get boring pretty quick.

I think that I'm going to stay home for a while.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
After I quit mowing today because of the rain, I was sitting around doing nothing when my wife walked in and said, "Frank, if you're in town before me can you swing by the grocery store and pick up some potatoes". PANIC. A Scotsman without potatoes is like a bird without wings, that sucker ain't goin' to fly, bro'!

I get dressed and head in to the store. I had been there on Wednesday and everything was just fine. What a difference a day, or two or three, makes. Don't get me wrong, there was still plenty of stuff there but the place was totally picked over. Basics like potatoes, bread, eggs and the like were totally gone. I got the last two little bags of potatoes.

Just for shits and giggles I swung in to the paper products aisle just to see what was happening. Not much. Everything was gone except for 2 boxes of Kleenex Tissues and a double pack of paper towels that were absolutely mangled. It was fully stocked on Wednesday. Even all the paper plates were gone. How the hell are you going to wipe your ass with a paper plate?

I decided to cut my losses and leave. On the way to the check-out I saw a young woman pull about a dozen pizzas from the freezer and dump them in to her cart. For some strange reason my first thought was that they are all the same type and flavor. That's going to get boring pretty quick.

I think that I'm going to stay home for a while.

Exact same situation here. I realized last week i was not happy with my stash of paper towels so I picked up about a dozen of those two pack Brawny. I go through paper towels really quickly. Yesterday I filled up the Jeep and went into the store, thinking of picking up some paper napkins and they had nothing. Cleaned out of every paper product, as you said, even the paper plates were gone.

At least in the old days we had the Sears & Roebuck catalog to use to wipe our ass if all else failed. :th_lmao:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do not forget those business who have what you need, but are not the first place you thought of for your needs....

An industrial supply near me had a case of hand sanitizer and all the paper products you could want... No one had thought of looking there for those things people are hording.

There are respirator masks that are able to be used against this virus, that are not medical, but for protection of workers in harsh and dangerous environments. Some of these will do the job of keeping the virus from being breathed in. Check around the net for more specific information on this.. Time to think outside the box...

Auto supply stores are a good place to look as well. There are other places like machinery dealers who will have some of the same as well. Hope this panic and virus will die down soon.

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
At least in the old days we had the Sears & Roebuck catalog to use to wipe our ass if all else failed. :th_lmao:

We had the Monkey Ward catalog but hated it 'coz it was so slick. Much preferred the local newspaper cut up in squares and hung on a nail. It did make your butt black though. Do you think that's where the name for the dance "Black Bottom" came from? Just kidding.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Do not forget those business who have what you need, but are not the first place you thought of for your needs....

An industrial supply near me had a case of hand sanitizer and all the paper products you could want... No one had thought of looking there for those things people are hording.

There are respirator masks that are able to be used against this virus, that are not medical, but for protection of workers in harsh and dangerous environments. Some of these will do the job of keeping the virus from being breathed in. Check around the net for more specific information on this.. Time to think outside the box...

Auto supply stores are a good place to look as well. There are other places like machinery dealers who will have some of the same as well. Hope this panic and virus will die down soon.

Regards, Kirk

Good thinking Kirk. I'm surprised I didn't think of it too because the local janitorial supply place is where I get the center pull paper towel rolls I use in the shop. I have almost a case of those along with shop towels. I like going there because apart from being the janitorial supply place it is also the gun & ammo shop. I know, it's what happens in a small town but even that doesn't compare to the fried chicken and bait place. :th_lmao:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Speaking of industrial supply (which I use), I was thinking of wearing this to the pharmacy tomorrow. Maybe coupled with a tyvek suit. :)
Mask, regulator, tank... the whole 9-yards. It's an emergency escape respirator for commercial facilities.

Attachments

• 20200217_142205.jpg
    20200217_142205.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 173