• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB: wanted: snow-trac

leadvillerpm

I live in Colorado and have been looking for a snow trac for awhile now. Would like to find one in or near Colorado, but I may consider shipping for the right one at the right price. I run a auto repair shop and have been working on vws for 20 years, so I am not to concerned if it needs work.

fr73ed

Re: wanted: snow-trac

Hi leadvillerpm,
I have a 1974 542 A for sale.
318 chrysler industrial,
5 speed manual,
clutch good,
electrical system good,
lights good,
100 % on rollers and grousers,
running gear good,
turntables good, steel and aluminum tables,
drag links good,
hydraulics good,
hydraulic pump good,
heater good,
defrost good,
wipers good,
40 or 50 gallon fuel tank,
dual exhaust,
professionally maintained by a automotive dealer in Montrose before I bought it,
pontoons good,
I have replaced some parts, has new electric fuel pump, r&r steering trunnions,
today I greased all rollers,
u-joints good,
engine runs and starts good,
paint rough,
aluminum cab in good shape,
I used it 2 years ago in the big snow season here put 15 hours on it then,
last year no hours due to no snow,
this is a runner,
previously used as a snow machine groomer,ergo the professional maintainance,
$ 6,000 and delivery available,

The rollers alone are worth $ 5,000, plus transmission, diff's, pontoons, hydraulics, engine, electrical, tracks,...
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

If you are a 'VW Guy' you are the perfect candidate for owning a Snow Trac or Trac Master. They NEED someone fimiliar with VW's! I know!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter

to the vw guys my snow trac has a 1600 engine with single port heads but has the same pict 28 carb as my 40 horse motor does this sound right or is there a diffrent carb i need

leadvillerpm

I am not sure what snow trac industrial motors should have on them, but a 1600 single or duel port usually has a pict 30 on it in the bugs. I don't think you should have to change it as there in minimal differance between them. Pict 30 has a slightly larger venturi. If you are concerned about running lean, what I often do in my shop in weld in a o2 sensor port in the exhaust and install a one wire o2 sensor. After the sensor heats up it will give you a voltage reading from .1 (lean) to .9(rich). This is the only way to get real accuate information on your air/fuel mixture. With this you can set up a carb (or find you need to replace it) for optimal performance and lessen the chance of catastrophic engine failure do to running lean.

Other way to tell fuel mixture is off is if you have any prefire or backfire. Prefire (fuel ignition in the intake) indicates a lean running condition and often happens on heavy acceleration. Backfire (fuel ignition in exhaust) indicates rich and happens mostly on decel.

Hope that helps

I have a question...did a snow trac ever com with a 1600 duel port.
I am in the process of developing a fuel injection system made from 2.0l air cold bus componants that will work with a 1600 duel port. I travel from 8000 ft above see level up to 13000 where I am at and carbs are a pain to deal with.

Ryan

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

I am not sure what snow trac industrial motors should have on them, but a 1600 single or duel port usually has a pict 30 on it in the bugs. I don't think you should have to change it as there in minimal differance between them. Pict 30 has a slightly larger venturi. If you are concerned about running lean, what I often do in my shop in weld in a o2 sensor port in the exhaust and install a one wire o2 sensor. After the sensor heats up it will give you a voltage reading from .1 (lean) to .9(rich). This is the only way to get real accuate information on your air/fuel mixture. With this you can set up a carb (or find you need to replace it) for optimal performance and lessen the chance of catastrophic engine failure do to running lean.

Other way to tell fuel mixture is off is if you have any prefire or backfire. Prefire (fuel ignition in the intake) indicates a lean running condition and often happens on heavy acceleration. Backfire (fuel ignition in exhaust) indicates rich and happens mostly on decel.

Hope that helps

I have a question...did a snow trac ever com with a 1600 duel port.
I am in the process of developing a fuel injection system made from 2.0l air cold bus componants that will work with a 1600 duel port. I travel from 8000 ft above see level up to 13000 where I am at and carbs are a pain to deal with.

Ryan
lyden can likely tell you but if you are using the bosch cis system i would be interested

leadvillerpm

Thanks to all who replied and everyone on the forum that helped me find my new rig. 1958 st4 should be here in a couple weeks.

3na3kd3p35Oa5P25S19c2a5e212ef774c1435.jpg

3kb3m73l55Td5Qa5Sc9c2197906a91b8d1974.jpg

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

congrats looks like a nice rig enjoy your adventures with it and like everyone else told me lots of pics. the little red snow trac should amaze you with what it will do

hendog

Welcome to the proud crowd! You will love your toy and soon you will be looking for another, no worries tell your wife its a sickness!LOL!! Have fun !!!
I have attached a small move to make it even harder to wait and a picture for a future use!! Have a blast!! Keep us all posted!

see ya
Hendog in cold Vermont

Attachments

• snow trac with tree.JPG
    snow trac with tree.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 331

leadvillerpm

I have a question on the new rig. It is in excellent condition and everything is there except the snow thrower flaps. Did these snow trac always have them? How important are they? Being at 10,000 ft above sea level the snow here is mainly very light and dry until the spring thaw.

Does anyone know where I could get a set or how to fabricate them?

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

I have a question on the new rig. It is in excellent condition and everything is there except the snow thrower flaps. Did these snow trac always have them? How important are they? Being at 10,000 ft above sea level the snow here is mainly very light and dry until the spring thaw.

Ryan
Lyndon had sent me some stuff on them along with others i will go back and look some time today but mu understanding is that mudflap material works the best its just a deflector to keep snow from packing on the track where it could over tighten the track and snap the ears on the axle housingsor cause you to walk out of a track. with the 2 band track the problem dosn't seam as much of a factor as it is for the newer 3 band track i still plan to add some to mine before spring but at 25 below the only thing sticking to mu tracks are some kids toung . or overflow wich i avoid like the plauge.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

Ryan

Ask and you shall receive !

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 324

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

i like Big AL's solution also take a look at snow trac repair 101 for other solutions i have thought about hdpe because i also run mine in the summer and i worry about rocks getting traped in the guides but will likely use rubber i has always worked fine why re invent the wheel.

hendog

hello, Just attached a parts diagram to assist in the fabrication.

I need to make a set too... I didnt realize that the snow /ice can freeze on the rear wheel axle and actually break the axle. This happens to ATVs all the time.

Notes from the previous owner of my ST stated that they ALWAYS removed the snow they could prior to sitting it overnight. It looks like good old truck flaps would work and some angle steel.

Just a reminder, ensure that you park you ST on some boards or a no frozen surface as it will freeze you can break something when you try pulling out the next day. Just FYI I received from this forum.

If your front track sprockets look like they will needs replaced buy a set from JB Foundry in the North Pole while they still make them. They are perfect but show me the money$$ aprox 800 bucks for 4. Coating them is about the same price.

Let me know how you make out.

Attachments

• snow flap.JPG
    snow flap.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 305