• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

American Exceptionalism helps solve Covid19 respirator shortage for $162.00

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is an incredible story.

Please watch the video at the link. A guy, working out of his garage, with 5 employees is making a plastic medical helmet that provides pressurized oxygen to Covid-19 patients that otherwise would require a respirator. It will not replace all the respirators, in fact it might only replace 20% of the required respirators, but with a cost of about $160 each, versus $15,000 to $50,000 for a respirator, it could be both a life-safer and a game changer.

And while he is ramping up from 5 volunteer employees to 30 volunteer employees. Volunteers. And because even going from 5 to 30 volunteers can't produce enough to fill the need, the guy is GIVING AWAY the patterns to ANY company that can produce these.

LINK => https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/sci...n-to-ventilator-shortage/vi-BB1212yi?ocid=sf2

Seriously, do yourself a favor, watch the video.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
That's American entrepenerial spirit with a big heart. If successful the whole world owes the man bigly!! I just hope the big dogs don't try to put his invention on the trash heap. $162 against 10's of thousands of $ is going to bring the big dogs off the porch.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's American entrepenerial spirit with a big heart. If successful the whole world owes the man bigly!! I just hope the big dogs don't try to put his invention on the trash heap. $162 against 10's of thousands of $ is going to bring the big dogs off the porch.
Mike
I think the pandemic induced shortages will force the healthcare market to innovate and search for alternatives.

Under normal times I think you'd have a solid point, but this is already FDA approved and has been in use, according to the video, for 4 years at the Univ of Chicago Hospitals so it would be really hard for this to be squashed.