Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN




Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Preparedness Forum

Preparedness Forum Emergency Preparedness and General Preparedness discussion, Bug out Bag etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #161  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:59 AM
Melensdad's Avatar
Melensdad Melensdad is offline
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 36,371
Thanks: 2,512
Thanked 10,185 Times in 4,070 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Damn, I don't have a tote bag!
__________________

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
Doc  (03-30-2020), EastTexFrank (03-30-2020), jim slagle  (03-30-2020), TiredRetired (03-30-2020)
  #162  
Old 03-30-2020, 08:58 PM
m1west m1west is online now
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 846
Thanks: 4,490
Thanked 2,271 Times in 742 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

With Amazon and grocery workers walking of jobs due to safety there are some city dwellers that are gong to be in a world of hurt if the supply chain brakes down. Also Lots of law enforcement been getting sick and calling off. Those 2 things added together = if this trend gets some air under it wings. I also been hearing about truckers that don't want to go to the hot spots.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (03-30-2020), Melensdad  (03-31-2020), TiredRetired (03-30-2020)
  #163  
Old 03-31-2020, 03:01 PM
Melensdad's Avatar
Melensdad Melensdad is offline
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 36,371
Thanks: 2,512
Thanked 10,185 Times in 4,070 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

And this could get really ugly, especially for the city folk who have limited mobility.

I'll admit I don't really know this source.

Interesting how many people eat at restaurants and/or do carry out. Logical to assume that as restaurant demand diminishes the burden on supermarkets will increase. However the foodservice products are packed differently and the not readily useable for small households, even if they could be purchased.

For your consideration: http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...ems-break-down
Quote:
Supplies Are Starting To Get Really Tight Nationwide As Food Distribution Systems Break Down
March 30, 2020 by Michael Snyder

All across America, store shelves are emptying and people are becoming increasingly frustrated because they can’t get their hands on needed supplies. Most Americans are blaming “hoarders” for the current mess, but it is actually much more complicated than that. Normally, Americans get a lot of their food from restaurants. In fact, during normal times 36 percent of all Americans eat at a fast food restaurant on any given day. But now that approximately 75 percent of the U.S. is under some sort of a “shelter-in-place” order and most of our restaurants have shut down, things have completely changed. Suddenly our grocery stores are being flooded with unexpected traffic, and many people are buying far more than usual in anticipation of a long pandemic. Unfortunately, our food distribution systems were not designed to handle this sort of a surge, and things are really starting to get crazy out there.

I would like to share with you an excerpt from an email that I was sent recently. It describes the chaos that grocery stores in Utah and Idaho have been experiencing…
When this virus became a problem that we as a nation could see as an imminent threat, Utah, because of its culture of food storage and preparing for disaster events seemed to “get the memo” first. The week of March 8th grocery sales more than doubled in Utah, up 218%. Many states stayed the same with increases in some. Idaho seemed to “get the memo” about four days later. We were out of water and TP four days after Utah. Then we were out of food staples about four days later. Next was produce following a pattern set by Utah four days earlier.

The problem for us in Idaho was this. The stores in Utah were emptied out then refilled twice by the warehouses before it hit Idaho. Many of these Utah stores have trucks delivering daily. So when it did hit Idaho the warehouses had been severely taxed. We had a hard time filling our store back up even one time. We missed three scheduled trucks that week alone. Then orders finally came they were first 50% of the order and have dropped to 20%. In normal circumstances we receive 98% of our orders and no canceled trucks. Now three weeks later, the warehouses in the Western United States have all been taxed. In turn, those warehouses have been taxing the food manufacturers. These food companies have emptied their facilities to fill the warehouses of the Western United States. The East Coast hasn’t seemed to “get the memo” yet. When they do what food will be left to fill their warehouses and grocery stores?

Food distribution and resources for the Eastern United States will be at great peril even if no hoarding there takes place. But of course it will.

Additionally the food culture of the East Coast and other urban areas is such that people keep very little food on hand. They often shop several times weekly for items if they cook at home. They don’t have big freezers full of meat, home canned vegetables in their storage rooms, gardens, or beans, wheat, and rice in buckets in the their basements.
With most of the country locked down, normal economic activity has come to a standstill, and it is going to become increasingly difficult for our warehouses to meet the demand that grocery stores are putting on them.

Meanwhile, our farmers are facing severe problems of their own. The following comes from CNBC…
The U.S.-China trade war sent scores of farmers out of business. Record flooding inundated farmland and destroyed harvests. And a blistering heat wave stunted crop growth in the Midwest.

Now, the coronavirus pandemic has dealt another blow to a vulnerable farm economy, sending crop and livestock prices tumbling and raising concerns about sudden labor shortages.

The chaos in the financial markets is likely to continue for the foreseeable future, and it is going to remain difficult for farm laborers to move around as long as “shelter-in-place” orders remain in effect on the state level.

Iowa farmer Robb Ewoldt told reporter Emma Newburger that “we’ve stopped saying it can’t get worse”, and he says that this coronavirus pandemic looks like it could be “the straw that broke the camel’s back”…
“We were already under extreme financial pressure. With the virus sending the prices down — it’s getting to be the straw that broke the camel’s back,” said Iowa farmer Robb Ewoldt.

“We were hoping for something good this year, but this virus has stopped all our markets,” he said.
Of course this comes at a time when millions of Americans are losing their jobs and unemployment is shooting up to unthinkable levels. Without any money coming in, many people are already turning to alternative sources of help in order to feed themselves and their families.

....
Go to the link for the rest of the story
__________________

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
m1west (03-31-2020), TiredRetired (03-31-2020)
  #164  
Old 03-31-2020, 04:53 PM
m1west m1west is online now
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 846
Thanks: 4,490
Thanked 2,271 Times in 742 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
And this could get really ugly, especially for the city folk who have limited mobility.

I'll admit I don't really know this source.

Interesting how many people eat at restaurants and/or do carry out. Logical to assume that as restaurant demand diminishes the burden on supermarkets will increase. However the foodservice products are packed differently and the not readily useable for small households, even if they could be purchased.

For your consideration: http://endoftheamericandream.com/arc...ems-break-downGo to the link for the rest of the story
No one wants be a scare monger but as it un folds the situation for the US and World I believe is going to get worse, a lot worse especially in cities. I think it will start in the poor neighborhoods first. The hotspots will overwhelm much like what is happening in NewYork. NewYork is now begging for supplies and healthcare workers. People are going to get sick/scared and will stop going to work, the whole situation will snowball. The longer it goes on the worse the financial damage will be. Looking back at the 1929 crash the cause is different but the outcome could be the same. There are estimates that 30% of small businesses will not make it through this. Small business is the largest employer of Americans so when it over the largest employer could be gone too. First there is a glut of product but no-one is buying, that causes depreciation, then when the product is eventually bought up most manufacturing has been halted and there are no new supplies or jobs the currency will depreciate causing hyper inflation on life staples like food. Money and borrowing will also be tight so trying to restart your failed business may not be so easy. The hope that we have is it goes away with the warm weather and allows enough time to regroup and come-with a cure. As we go into summer regions like Africa, South America etc, will be going into there winter which will cause those 3rd world countries to explode. I hope I am 100% wrong but its not looking good and here in the US were only into it a month.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
TiredRetired (03-31-2020)
  #165  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 PM
TiredRetired's Avatar
TiredRetired TiredRetired is offline
Mr Lovable
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Green Mountain State
Posts: 12,186
Thanks: 7,724
Thanked 15,901 Times in 5,539 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

There are some really good deals on Amazon right now and some real rip off ones. My wife has spent hours perusing that site with her iPad and ordering stuff that are good deals and reasonably priced.

I have lost total control of the budget and trying to reconcile monies spent to the spreadsheet I use to maintain the budget cash flow. About an hour ago I just leaned back in the chair and decided to just let everything come and when the smoke clears try to reconcile the books then.

On the plus side, we have a ton of stuff coming in that will guarantee us supplies for much longer than 90 days now.

If things turn out to be not as bad as predicted, we shouldn't have to go grocery shopping again for the rest of the year.

.....and I should get my Bay Area Market tote bag any day now!!!!! LOL.
__________________
Democrats Hate America!! They Love The China Virus!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (03-31-2020), m1west (03-31-2020)
  #166  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:16 PM
Melensdad's Avatar
Melensdad Melensdad is offline
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 36,371
Thanks: 2,512
Thanked 10,185 Times in 4,070 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Cities will likely get hit first with any sort of strife, should it happen. And very likely the lower income areas as desperate people start taking desperate actions. Hopefully the supply chain does not crash. Hopefully. But when this virus hit China there was an entire world still producing food and other things. If the world is infected and 'locked down' when who will be able to jump in and provide supply? I realize that in any realistic scenario there will eventually be a vaccine and also a treatment. So it should have an end date, or it should convert to seasonal. But until that happens it is not unreasonable to presume that a whole lot of shit could go down.


Our spending has pretty much stopped except for "survival" oriented items which would include food. But then again my daughter just spent $1100 (on my credit card ) to pay for the upcoming Bar Exam. But our discretionary spending has crashed as we are just not going anywhere, buying anything other than the afore mentioned food type items.

I did order a handful of the neoprene masks with replaceable N95 filters. Plan to switch to those after the current batch of standard masks is depleted. But really our spending has plummeted. Its not like we were lacking before this mess started. I have tools and toys aplenty and actually started to cull some of the unused and excess guns. I'm looking to get rid of a vehicle or two.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
.....and I should get my Bay Area Market tote bag any day now!!!!! LOL.
Damn you
__________________

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
m1west (03-31-2020), TiredRetired (03-31-2020)
  #167  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:17 PM
m1west m1west is online now
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 846
Thanks: 4,490
Thanked 2,271 Times in 742 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
There are some really good deals on Amazon right now and some real rip off ones. My wife has spent hours perusing that site with her iPad and ordering stuff that are good deals and reasonably priced.

I have lost total control of the budget and trying to reconcile monies spent to the spreadsheet I use to maintain the budget cash flow. About an hour ago I just leaned back in the chair and decided to just let everything come and when the smoke clears try to reconcile the books then.

On the plus side, we have a ton of stuff coming in that will guarantee us supplies for much longer than 90 days now.

If things turn out to be not as bad as predicted, we shouldn't have to go grocery shopping again for the rest of the year.

.....and I should get my Bay Area Market tote bag any day now!!!!! LOL.
Those things you just got at a bargain could cost a lot more or be impossible to find in the future. If you have the resources buy buy buy.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
TiredRetired (03-31-2020)
  #168  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM
TiredRetired's Avatar
TiredRetired TiredRetired is offline
Mr Lovable
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Green Mountain State
Posts: 12,186
Thanks: 7,724
Thanked 15,901 Times in 5,539 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melensdad View Post
Cities will likely get hit first with any sort of strife, should it happen. And very likely the lower income areas as desperate people start taking desperate actions. Hopefully the supply chain does not crash. Hopefully. But when this virus hit China there was an entire world still producing food and other things. If the world is infected and 'locked down' when who will be able to jump in and provide supply? I realize that in any realistic scenario there will eventually be a vaccine and also a treatment. So it should have an end date, or it should convert to seasonal. But until that happens it is not unreasonable to presume that a whole lot of shit could go down.


Our spending has pretty much stopped except for "survival" oriented items which would include food. But then again my daughter just spent $1100 (on my credit card ) to pay for the upcoming Bar Exam. But our discretionary spending has crashed as we are just not going anywhere, buying anything other than the afore mentioned food type items.

I did order a handful of the neoprene masks with replaceable N95 filters. Plan to switch to those after the current batch of standard masks is depleted. But really our spending has plummeted. Its not like we were lacking before this mess started. I have tools and toys aplenty and actually started to cull some of the unused and excess guns.





Damn you
I'll post of picture when it comes in.
__________________
Democrats Hate America!! They Love The China Virus!!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiredRetired For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (03-31-2020)
  #169  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:26 PM
TiredRetired's Avatar
TiredRetired TiredRetired is offline
Mr Lovable
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Green Mountain State
Posts: 12,186
Thanks: 7,724
Thanked 15,901 Times in 5,539 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1west View Post
Those things you just got at a bargain could cost a lot more or be impossible to find in the future. If you have the resources buy buy buy.
Some stuff was a rip off like 10 bucks for 1 can of Chef-boy-R-Dee and other stuff crazy cheap like a 24 can case of Campbell Pork & Beans for 21 bucks including shipping. Sometimes the dollar stores have prices like this, but the expiration dates are usually tight. For me, those porks and beans are one of those foods I can readily eat cold right out of the can while camping so we figured this was a must to have. Don't try that with Dinty Moore Stew with all that solidified fat clinging to the potatoes and meat.
__________________
Democrats Hate America!! They Love The China Virus!!
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:36 PM
m1west m1west is online now
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 846
Thanks: 4,490
Thanked 2,271 Times in 742 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Prepping for biological disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredRetired View Post
Some stuff was a rip off like 10 bucks for 1 can of Chef-boy-R-Dee and other stuff crazy cheap like a 24 can case of Campbell Pork & Beans for 21 bucks including shipping. Sometimes the dollar stores have prices like this, but the expiration dates are usually tight.
Being in food processing ( canned food ) you can go passed the date for most things a couple of years but not the meat. One way to tell if a can of anything is bad is to put a straight edge across the seam, the lid should be flat or down in the middle with pretty much an even spacing all the way across. If you see the lid up in the middle it is bad throw it out.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
EastTexFrank (03-31-2020), J5 Bombardier (03-31-2020), jim slagle  (03-31-2020), TiredRetired (03-31-2020)
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prepping for Sun Valley vintagebike Snowcat Restoration & Modification Projects Forum 0 12-14-2019 02:37 AM
Prepping going wrong Desert Dude Open Forum 3 12-05-2017 10:28 PM
Biological Male Wins All State Honors in Girls Track And Field, Because Diversity Doc Sports & Sporting Goods Forum 9 06-07-2016 12:24 AM
F-15 Disaster mtntopper Planes / Aviation Forum 3 04-26-2008 09:52 PM
What's your disaster plan? DaveNay Agriculture & Rural Living Forum 9 01-18-2006 10:24 PM





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2002 - 2018 www.ForumsForums.com