• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rolling Stone: Best Coronavirus Advice? Don't Listen to Trump

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Switching from the other Coronavirus thread, going political on this one.

Honestly I rarely listen to anything not related to music, that is published by ROLLING STONE, but this might actually be some good advice.

We have no clue what the death rate will be. Trump is using a 'hunch' to say it is 1%, the World Health Organization just revised their numbers UP to 3.4% from previously stating it was likely to be between 1 and 2%. Hmmm. I think we can safely say we don't know (yet) and likely won't know until it's over. But what we do know is it is very infectious. So infections that the W.H.O. and the C.D.C. are both advocation some pretty dramatic social distancing suggestions. Recommendations from Work-From-Home to canceling conventions; from closing all schools to shutting down concerts, sporting events, theaters and cinemas. It is well past hand washing according to the experts. Not that hand washing is a bad idea, it is a GREAT idea and will dramatically reduce spread, but it is not enough, and not enough by a long shot, according to the W.H.O.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/coronavirus-advice-trump-fox-news-962594/

Ignore Everything Trump Says About Coronavirus
The president told Sean Hannity that people are getting over the virus by “sitting around” and “going to work”

President Trump has found himself in a vexing situation as he struggles to grapple with coronavirus, which is now spreading rapidly throughout the United States. If this were a normal crisis, he would stress to Americans that everything is fine, his administration is handling it better than any other administration could have ever dreamed, and everyone should proceed to shower him with praise.

But unlike hurricanes, trade disputes, or threats of nuclear annihilation from murderous dictators, coronavirus is in the United States right now, it’s getting worse, and the population’s health is at stake. So is the health of the stock market, which Trump indicated is his primary concern in a February tweet in which he also claimed coronavirus is “very much under control.”

As of Wednesday, 160 people in at least 17 states have been infected, while 11 have died.

As the the tally continues to climb, Trump’s trusty “we’ve got it taken care of” line is losing its effectiveness, even for someone who built a political carer around imploring Americans to ignore reality in favor of his make-believe appraisal of what’s happening in the country. This has forced Trump to pivot to a different — but no less familiar — strategy: spewing absolute nonsense to potentially damaging effect.

On Wednesday night, the president called into Fox News to put the nation’s mind at ease. In an effort to do so, he reeled off a breathtaking two-minute daisy chain of false claims about the virus, including that it’s so benign that infected Americans should keep going into work.

Trump to Hannity on WHO saying coronavirus death rate is 3.4%: "I think the 3.4% number is really a false number. Now this is just my hunch, but based on a lot of conversations … personally, I'd say the number is way under 1%."

Astoundingly irresponsible. pic.twitter.com/uC9c03zX31

— Aaron Rupar (@atrupar) March 5, 2020

Let’s unpack what’s happening here:

• Trump says the World Health Organization’s report that the global death rate for coronavirus is 3.4 percent is a “false” number. “This is just my hunch,” the president continued. He later estimated the “number is way under 1 percent.”
  • Trump says the virus is “very mild” and that “people are getting better very rapidly,” implying that if these people were taken into account in reports of how many people are infected, the death rate would be far lower.
  • Trump calls the coronavirus the “corona flu.”
  • Trump says many of those infected get better just by “you know, sitting around” and “going to work.”

Trump goes on a tangent about how many people die from the common flu, suggesting that because tens of thousands of people died from the flu every year, making the death rate “under 1 percent very substantially,” the death rate for the coronavirus must be similarly small.

Trump clearly has no idea what he’s talking about, and every American would be wise to categorically dismiss anything that comes out of his mouth regarding the coronavirus. He’s only concerned with it so far as it will affect his ability to win reelection this fall, and he will do or say anything to ensure it doesn’t. On Thursday morning, he took to Twitter to defend his hunch-based musings the night before, taking dead aim at … Comcast.

I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work. This is just more Fake News and disinformation put out by the Democrats, in particular MSDNC. Comcast covers the CoronaVirus situation horribly, only looking to do harm to the incredible & successful effort being made!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 5, 2020

He proceeded to tweet some praise of how he’s handled the situation from Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas) before essentially stacking the toll the virus has taken in the U.S. against the toll it’s taken in China, where it originated.

With approximately 100,000 CoronaVirus cases worldwide, and 3,280 deaths, the United States, because of quick action on closing our borders, has, as of now, only 129 cases (40 Americans brought in) and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 5, 2020

So as you scrub your hands raw and try your hardest to keep from touching your face, something millions of Americans are realizing is way, way harder than it seems, just take solace in the fact that Trump — who spent Thursday morning bashing the Fake News, “criminal” immigrants, and Elizabeth “Pocahontas” Warren — is “working very hard” to prevent an outbreak.

On second thought, maybe that’s not such a good thing.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Political?
Here's the best common sense advice.
Yes, from none other than Barack Obama.

20200305-120537.jpg

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Furthermore and somewhat related to something waybomb was getting at the other day...
Who is to say some of us haven't already had this?
Last month MANY folks at work, family members, coworkers and myself were all sick with a flu like no other.
It was bad.
I was down for 2 freaking days.
Some tested positive for influenza b, others were just sick with this "omg!, I have never had anything like this before" without being tested.
We were just plain ill.
/end

mak2

Furthermore and somewhat related to something waybomb was getting at the other day...
Last month MANY folks at work, family members, coworkers and myself were all sick with a flu like no other.
It was bad.
Some tested positive for influenza b, others were just sick with this "omg!, I have never had anything like this before" without being tested.
We were just plain ill.
/end

I was very sick about 10 days ago and I did test postitive for A, even though I had my flu shot. My NP said her clinic sees dozens of patients a day that had their flu shot and still became sick with similar symptoms. I just dont think we have any clue until the tests were available how many of those are CV. I thought Pence said a million test were in the pike. but guess not. Dont wanna make Trump look bad, I guess. South Korea is doing 10,000 a day, perhaps they might loan us a few.

Hi PG hope you and all the FFers are well. Guess FFers dont sound good, but I did not mean it like that.

rugerman

How do you treat a virus, antibiotics are ok for any secondary infection, but they do NOT affect the virus, yes there are anti-viral drugs, but they just lessen the length of time that you have the virus, so what is left? You treat the symptoms, rest, take something for pain and fever, drink plenty of fluids, etc. try not to infect others, in other words self quarantine. Sure you are going to feel like hell, but such is life.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't just stay at home when you are sick, but stay at home unless it is absolutely necessary to go somewhere. It is a shell game. Minimize your chances for exposure, you minimize your chance to catch something. When you must run your errands, do so very early in the morning before the infected come to life and infest everything.

As for Obama's advice, I will sooner listen to Trump than the wannabe mullato dictator. He has never said an intelligent thing in his life.

I hope everyone has at least a 90 day supply of food, water and meds. That is the bare bones minimum.

I once had a bout of the flu that lasted 11 days, I lost 16 pounds. If this is gonna be worse than that, then just shoot me right now.

mak2

How do you treat a virus, antibiotics are ok for any secondary infection, but they do NOT affect the virus, yes there are anti-viral drugs, but they just lessen the length of time that you have the virus, so what is left? You treat the symptoms, rest, take something for pain and fever, drink plenty of fluids, etc. try not to infect others, in other words self quarantine. Sure you are going to feel like hell, but such is life.

You just treat the symptoms. I stayed home, just drank water and diet coke (no beer for about a week so my wife knew I was sick) and tried not to get within 6 feet of anyone, OH, and whined like a small child. On a personal level that is all you can do. It would help a great deal nationwide to actually have some idea of how many people have it and where they are. Just so you can allocate ICU and hospital beds etc like we do for the flu every year. I think we are in denial right now.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently the World Health Organization doesn't much like Trump.

WHO's Dr. Mike Ryan said Friday in the organization's latest attempt to shade President Trump that the notion the virus will disappear with the arrival of the summer months is a "false hope."

Over the past few weeks, President Trump has repeatedly said that the "corona flu" will disappear in the spring when the regular flu season ends.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Apparently the World Health Organization doesn't much like Trump.

Over the past few weeks, President Trump has repeatedly said that the "corona flu" will disappear in the spring when the regular flu season ends.

The WHO is part of the UN. Thus, they are no better than the rest of the UN. They are a globalist by definition, anti American by nature. It is in their DNA to hate us.

Thus they hate Trump who stands for everything in this world they are not.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was bad.
We were just plain ill.
/end

I wonder about that. A couple of weeks ago I had a case of the 24 hour flu that lasted 6 days. Flat on my back days.

I know several others that have had something similar.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was very sick about 10 days ago and I did test postitive for A, even though I had my flu shot. My NP said her clinic sees dozens of patients a day that had their flu shot and still became sick with similar symptoms. I just dont think we have any clue until the tests were available how many of those are CV. I thought Pence said a million test were in the pike. but guess not. Dont wanna make Trump look bad, I guess. South Korea is doing 10,000 a day, perhaps they might loan us a few.

Hi PG hope you and all the FFers are well. Guess FFers dont sound good, but I did not mean it like that.

Well hello Mark!
The components in this years flu vax were A-H1N1/all updated from years prior, the B components remained the same.
I always look at the paper that comes with the vial to check what's in it and since then have confirmed that via the CDC.
All I know is it was particularly bad this year even though we all had our vaccines.
I hope you're still enjoying your job there at Dayton VA Med.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
There are still no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ohio. The number of potential cases and the results of testing are regularly updated every weekday at*coronavirus.ohio.gov.

20200307_010726.jpg