• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Transfer Case Ratio's and Torque Rating

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody have any idea on the ratio and torque capacity of Tucker's transfer cases? Based on videos found and counting teeth looks to be around 1.6:1?

Question originates specifically to those in 98 2000's with 5.9 Cummins.

Wanting to increase horsepower/torque on that unit to pull the coach/trailer we are working on. Goal is an additional 100 horse and torque that comes with it (200 ft/lb ish?) I am running the 6 belt 38" steel grouser tracks and hoping that will help some with belt stretch AND am crossing fingers with the existing Dana 80's.

Transmission is going to be "upgraded" and fumbling with the idea of a married SCS or Sniper Gearbox alternative, at the expense of re engineering a parking and service brake setup.

But if there is an expert present I am curious about the cases in 89 with 360 chrysler as well.

If this has been discussed prior I apologize but was unable to find with a search...

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Anybody have any idea on the ratio and torque capacity of Tucker's transfer cases? Based on videos found and counting teeth looks to be around 1.6:1?

Question originates specifically to those in 98 2000's with 5.9 Cummins.

Wanting to increase horsepower/torque on that unit to pull the coach/trailer we are working on. Goal is an additional 100 horse and torque that comes with it (200 ft/lb ish?) I am running the 6 belt 38" steel grouser tracks and hoping that will help some with belt stretch AND am crossing fingers with the existing Dana 80's.

Transmission is going to be "upgraded" and fumbling with the idea of a married SCS or Sniper Gearbox alternative, at the expense of re engineering a parking and service brake setup.

But if there is an expert present I am curious about the cases in 89 with 360 chrysler as well.

If this has been discussed prior I apologize but was unable to find with a search...

I make this suggestion to anyone who is considering purchasing a Tucker, or who has one they want to know more about. Call Tucker, Inc with your serial number handy and ask if they would email you a copy of the original order sheet. Those have a lot of very worthwhile information in terms of how the machine was originally spec'd out, as well as the various components used in it's assembly.

Tucker used different transfer cases and I assume it was based upon application and customer request. Our Thundercat machine was equipped with the heavy-duty transfer case which has 2 1/2" gears (face width) and a 1.65:1 ratio. The 1986 1544 WBJ1 is currently using has the standard transfer case which has 1 5/16 gears and a 1.64:1 ratio. The Snowzilla Tucker also has the 1 5/16" transfer case.

Here are some photos of the two.

The standard 1 5/16" transfer case, as installed in Snowzilla.

IMG_2247.jpg

The heavy-duty 2 1/2" transfer case.

attachment.jpg

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The heavy duty transfer cases were used in the 743's on the TAE. These cats pulled 2 each sleds with two tons of load each plus one ton in the cab from sea level to 10,000 feet elevation and back. The cats were equipped with five speed transmissions and 331ci Hemi engines. For toque rating, multiply the engine toque by the gear ratio. I did not hear of any transfer case failures on the 2000 mile crossing.

TalleyHo

GOLD Site Supporter
Any idea if model numbers having any correspondence to anything?

In the 1443 (door build sticker) which Tucker says is a 1543 and seems like it should be is t case 2830-2 if build sicker is correct. Bottom Pic.

On the 2000 is 2830-3, again according to door sticker. But... the sticker states Dana 70’s and it clearly has 80’s. Top Pic.

Both appear to be 2-1/2 inch gear sets. But neither look like pics above.
fae30aa7298309af204eb5c4cdb74c6a.jpg
1dc6d1aa4dbb43ad106a16cf84385f79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Here is the large transfer case in my 1981 542A-HD 453T/AT545 powered cat. You can’t see it here but it does have ‘743’ cast into the case. Build sheet lists ratio as 1.65 with 2 1/2” gears

0891cab6259df98d71d885f2e6267dd5.jpg

9b82c3973de578aa0ec25d9608964943.jpg