• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another snow Trac

teledawg

I'd try and find the master links on the final drive chains. But, they are probably in the wrong place. :w00t2: So get a chain-breaker tool and use it to push one of the permanent pins out to break the chains. Then you'll have no problem towing it on the trailer. :clap:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the masters if put on correctly should be facing the track or outside of the machine. the reason is a loose chain can bump the stock location of the exaust pipe and open it. it has happened .

this snow trac must have been used by a very knowledgeable person. I can see many extras and good ideas on it.
like the spare/extra boggie that is mounted in the track to save space.
jim

akimp

Oh the spare spot on the top in the track is for a spare. !!!!!!
Well I had to cut the chain for the drive. Went and priced 10 foot section on my way home and there 383 $ in alaska Holy sh@t that's expensive. I ordered 10 masters and hope the chain does not were out anytime soon. I will post pics of the air shroud for Snowtrac Nome and try to find a vin. There was none on the back cab like my other one.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
make sure you got the correct size. stock chain is metric and if your sprockets are still stock I wouldn't use it.

akimp

JIMVT I had alaska bearing and seal measure the chain and they came up with 16B chain. I ordered 10 master links but held off on the 10 ft chain purchase (cost cost was $ 383:sad:). I recieved another goodie box with the ST4 B. Below are pictures taken. There was some master links with the box but some are SAE 80 which is not correct but might work in a pinch. I can identify some but not all pieces. The one that has a circle welded to all tread has me stumped. The one with the boggie assemble nuts, what is the goofy roller bearing for? Well I'm going to get all the parts in order today and post pics. Will not be working on rig until I get home from the slop in two weeks.

Attachments

• snow trac 1.jpg
    snow trac 1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 164
  • snow trac 2.jpg
    snow trac 2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 159
  • snow trac 3.jpg
    snow trac 3.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 160
  • snow trac 4.jpg
    snow trac 4.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 161
  • snow trac 5.jpg
    snow trac 5.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 158
  • snow trac 6.jpg
    snow trac 6.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 157

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
given the bushings....

I would guess the rear track adjusters on the rear?

Track adjuster.

Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the us chain is close but doesn't wrap around your larger sprocket with out bunching.
jim

jask

The Snow-Trac final drive chain is ISO metric size 16B-1 that is 25.4x17mm. (pitch 25.4mm, roller width 17.0mm) This is close to the ANSI #80 chain as it has the same pitch, but the 16B-1 is slightly wider. If you put ANSI #80 chain on a Snow-Trac it will chip the final drive sprocket teeth on the sides. Not a good thing. :cry:

Post #4 : http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=12689

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Snow-Trac final drive chain is ISO metric size 16B-1 that is 25.4x17mm. (pitch 25.4mm, roller width 17.0mm) This is close to the ANSI #80 chain as it has the same pitch, but the 16B-1 is slightly wider. If you put ANSI #80 chain on a Snow-Trac it will chip the final drive sprocket teeth on the sides. Not a good thing. :cry:

Post #4 : http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=12689

what chain was on it?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there are varriator bearings, axle bearings ,or trans axle bearings . a boggie outer spring and rear track adjuster, also spanner nuts for rear spindles or or suspension pivot points and the rare lock washers for the spanners I would give up a left nut to find a source for.

teledawg

Try your "local" SKF rep/dealer.

Those lock rings and lock nuts are used on the 6-bolt boggie wheels to retain the axel tube.

Here are the SKF part numbers:

LOCK RING, AXEL SKF MB4 LINK
LOCKNUT, AXEL SKF KM4 M20x1 LINK

They are available from simplybearings.co.uk if you don't mind ordering from accross the pond! :brows: You can also get the boggie wheel bearings and seal there.

If you are doing work on the boggie wheel axels and bearings it is also wise to have a M20x1 die on hand to chase the threads. They are really fine and get boggered up easy.:w00t2:

akimp

Thanks everyone for the replies. Here is some more booty that went with the machine. I think the two sets of sprockets teeth look to have a lot more meat on them:w00t2:

Attachments

• snow 1.jpg
    snow 1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 179
  • snow 2.jpg
    snow 2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 174
  • snow 3.jpg
    snow 3.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 171

akimp

The piece above sprocket is a ripped off ice scraper bracket. One is attached and the other one you can see if broken. I will remove the attached one and make it at work. if the process goes well I will manufacture ones for my other machine as well. The bracket attaches to the aluminum tube that holds the drive axle and bearing assembly.

akimp

Air cooling shroud for Snow Trac Nome. i can take measurements when I get back home if needed.

Attachments

• snow 4.jpg
    snow 4.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 174
  • snow 5.jpg
    snow 5.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 178
  • snow 6.jpg
    snow 6.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 178
  • snow 7.jpg
    snow 7.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 177
  • snow 8.jpg
    snow 8.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 170
  • snow 9.jpg
    snow 9.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 175

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
bum deal I thought that had the doghouse type fan housing that is the up rite oil cooler like the engine I just built. I'm interested in seeing a scoop for an engine with the dog house type cooler that doesn't have the aux fan also.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well I was talking to some one this morning about one on a remote property I'm hoping to score. it is another liquid cooled conversion. it will be good for parts and the glass is all there.