• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

High Iron Levels

Leni

I've been very tired and sleepy for a while. The vampires have drawn a gallon of blood and the only thing that is abnormal so far is that the iron level in my system is quite high. So far no reason why.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you been Ironing a lot of clothes lately? :poke: JK

A friend found out he had sleep apnea. Prior to finding out he had the same symptoms of being tired. No clue if he had high iron levels also.

Good luck figuring it out Leni. :flowers:

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Have ya been chewing on your cast iron skillets??????? or if ya use them to pound on the oldmans head ya may be obsorbing iron from the handles!!!!!:whistling: or.....to much liver and onions!!!!!!:biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I can't offer any more insight than the people who have already posted and the only advice I have is to stay away from magnets or airport security.

Honestly, I have never heard of such a thing. Could the cause be dietary?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My old heart doc had me taking iron tablets for 4 years. First thing the cancer doc told me was my iron levels were way elevated and to quit taking it right away. Seems a lot of docs don't follow up on meds they prescribe. Some food items raise your iron levels. Doc should have a list of them.

Leni

They have done a liver panel and a test for cirrosis. That also came back normal. Next is an ultra sound of the liver. Excessive iron an lead to damage of other organs. I do not take vitamins but I do eat a fair amount of red meat. Maybe I'm eating too much in the way of iron content veggies.

Leni

Have ya been chewing on your cast iron skillets??????? or if ya use them to pound on the oldmans head ya may be obsorbing iron from the handles!!!!!:whistling: or.....to much liver and onions!!!!!!:biggrin:[/QUOT

No to all three especially liver and onions. :doh: The only liver I eat is in the form of braunswager.

Doc that's something that I am considering. I do snore at night but the high iron can also cause fatigue.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i can offer insight. i'm polar opposite & have anemia, although i'm well-versed.

u learn stuff in a hospital via boredom & open ears. it's either another episode of a television show, or listening to your doctors as they speak in- they seem to think- a language us laypersons cannot get.

Leni

I belong to Kaiser. Called this morning and requested an appointment. Found out that mine doctor is out of the office this week. So I got an appointment with another one today. She ordered a sleep test fpr me and told me not to worry about the high iron levels. Said that most of the time it's nothing but they are running more tests on it. That made me feel better.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
If it turns out to be apnea you'll feel a lot better once they get you on a proper CPAP; at least it did for me. However, the
sleep test is a major pain; you end with more wires stuck everywhere than an astronaut, and they expect you to actually
sleep with all that hardware attached. :unsure:

However, if the problem is sleep apnea, you and your hubby will both feel better ... and you'll make a huge dent in your
odds for a middle of the night cardiac event!

Leni

The last test is in and it turns out that I have a recessive genetic disorder. It's called hemochromatosis. About 10% carry the gene mostly Northern European. Apparentally both my parents had the gene. Funny that it is showing up so late in life. It results in high iron in my system which can damage other organs. The treatment of choice is to give blood since most of the iron in the body is in the blood. Vampires here I come.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear they at least figured it out. Don't rust up on us Leni!:whistling:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear that you know what is wrong, and what to do. That is half the battle.

Regards, Kirk

Leni

It certainly is. I have Kaiser for my medical and they have a blood donation center at the hospital. Tomorrow I have a liver ultra sound at 11:00 and a physical therapy appointment at 1:00. In between I can go give blood and have lunch. Then I let my doctor know and she'll schedule another iron test to see how the donation worked.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
It certainly is. I have Kaiser for my medical and they have a blood donation center at the hospital. Tomorrow I have a liver ultra sound at 11:00 and a physical therapy appointment at 1:00. In between I can go give blood and have lunch. Then I let my doctor know and she'll schedule another iron test to see how the donation worked.

Just be sure you keep away from auto wrecking yards! :w00t2:

Leni

My ferritin level is up again so I have to go and give blood again. It turns out that they can't use it so it just gets tossed. Sad because they took quite a lot the first time.

It sounds like my sister has it also. My kids are okay but hers may not be depending upon her ex's heritage.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
The last test is in and it turns out that I have a recessive genetic disorder. It's called hemochromatosis. About 10% carry the gene mostly Northern European. Apparentally both my parents had the gene. Funny that it is showing up so late in life. It results in high iron in my system which can damage other organs. The treatment of choice is to give blood since most of the iron in the body is in the blood. Vampires here I come.

Whats with this late in life stuf???? 70 is the new 20!!!!!! tell that old man to start eating raw beef and shake a leg!!!!!!! after all a young gal needs some action!!!!!:flowers::flowers:

Leni

Whats with this late in life stuf???? 70 is the new 20!!!!!! tell that old man to start eating raw beef and shake a leg!!!!!!! after all a young gal needs some action!!!!!:flowers::flowers:

How'd this come up?

We are going to our beach home Sunday for a week all by ourselves. :whistling: The old man has to lose 60 lbs and take care of his diabetes.

In the meantime I have to lose blood again. Will do that after the vacation.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
As to how it came up...please see post 12 second line.....besides that .....I have a almost 70 wife who is constantly telling me to get off my duf and come help with planting this or that!!!!!Shmbo..says Ill have plenty of time to be old after Im dead....until then we have things to do......I just figured...why should your old man get to sit around when I CANT..........:whistling: But hay ...you folks have a great time at the beach.....and be happy!!!