• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trying to adopt a new Akita

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, i'm so sorry. Luna would have been a good fit with you and Walter.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we broadened our search to other breeds.

Can't find any rescue Akita suitable in our area (even in a several state search). We knew it would be tough to find a young Akita rescue.

I've got a breeder less than 100 miles away that has a suitable pup. But then we started looking at the Australian Shepherds. Somewhat smaller than the Akitas, a male Australian Shepherd tops out at 50 to 60#. A friend of ours has 2 of them and loves them, recommends them.

So we found a breeder with a litter.

Looking at getting this little fellow. He has the Blue Merle genetic DNA giving him the splotchy coloring. I think its beautiful. Only about 4 weeks old so too young to come home.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Image-4.jpg
    Image-4.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 151

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well forget that one, we changed our mind and put a deposit on his brother, who is a Red Merle.

Attachments

• C352A0BA-4392-4CF4-9542-67EB0D4E6B1A.jpg
    C352A0BA-4392-4CF4-9542-67EB0D4E6B1A.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 154

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, you are so fickle!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

As I said before, "beautiful puppy, beautiful color".

I don't know much about Australian shepherds. I've seen a couple of them over the years but I don't have any friends or acquaintances who have had one. From all accounts though, they are wonderful dogs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, you are so fickle!!! :biggrin::biggrin::big grin:
Actually this was MY first choice.

Melen's first choice was the "blue Merle" and the lovely Mrs_Bob picked a Tri-Color. As Melen & I both picked "Merle" coloration the lovely Mrs_Bob got outvoted right from the start. Eventually ended up that MY color won out because Melen won't be home to brush this dog :hammer:

As I said before, "beautiful puppy, beautiful color".
To which of the many colors/shades on that dog are you referring :wink:

I don't know much about Australian shepherds. I've seen a couple of them over the years but I don't have any friends or acquaintances who have had one. From all accounts though, they are wonderful dogs.
Well even before we were 'denied' by the Akita rescue group the lovely Mrs_Bob was suggesting we look for a somewhat smaller breed. So when we started hunting around a friend of ours has 2 of these. They are smart, playful, energetic, blah blah blah. A male Aus.Shepherd is roughly 50-60# so about 2/3rds the size of a fully grown female Akita. In fact Luna the female Akita was 6 months old and nearly 60# already.

A little less dog. A little less dog hair to vacuum every week :flowers:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

Pretty sure my dog is an Aus Shepard/Lab mix. Great mix IMHO. Fun, protective, smart (unless compared to a border collie), nimble and hardy. I have a female that runs about 40 pounds. She's now 9 and except some grey in the facial hairs, looks like a 2-year-old. She has short hair like a lab but you can still see every muscle in her body (looks very athletic). At 2-3 years old, she could run 25MPH. At 9-years, she can still do 22MPH. Except for getting Lyme's, vet bills have been incredibly low.

Guess I'm saying that if an Aus Shepard (or mix) is an option, they may be worth giving a close look.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
updated photo ... from this evening

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 156

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Today's photo of Mitty (with one of his sisters)

Attachments

• Mitty.jpg
    Mitty.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 144