• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Smoke Detectors......

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Since the Inspector{ mentioned it in anther thread, what is the latest and greatest design in smoke detectors? I know that it is on my list of things to upgrade and was wondering what new designs are being required. A few years ago, I was told of a system that used a small fan that sampled the air from all the rooms in the home, but I was never able to get more information on this. Presently we use the ones that have the 9 volt battery in them and are stand alone units. Thanks Junk........

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Since the Inspector{ mentioned it in anther thread, what is the latest and greatest design in smoke detectors? I know that it is on my list of things to upgrade and was wondering what new designs are being required. A few years ago, I was told of a system that used a small fan that sampled the air from all the rooms in the home, but I was never able to get more information on this. Presently we use the ones that have the 9 volt battery in them and are stand alone units. Thanks Junk........

Junk,
Here in Ohio two types are commonly used. One is a photoelectric unit and the other is an ionization unit. There inner workings are pretty hi-tech. But I'm not familiar with a fan type. The current requirements are for them to be hard wired to a 110V source with battery backup and all interconnected so that when one goes off, they all do. They should be in every bedroom, one immediately outside the bedrooms and at least one on each floor. In the basement it should be placed in close proximity to the stairway going upstairs, but NEVER at the top of the stairs on the ceiling. Split level homes may be able to eliminate one based on floor design.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jerry,

Are those of us with older homes (mine built in 1990) grandfathered in to use the 9v battery version or are we expected to upgrade?

Brian

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Jerry,

Are those of us with older homes (mine built in 1990) grandfathered in to use the 9v battery version or are we expected to upgrade?

Brian

The Ohio Residential Code requires them to upgraded if you pull a permit to do any work in the house. The problem is it comes at a considerable expense that owners were not expecting when adding on a room downstairs for example.
But there is no requirement to upgrade them if you're not doing any pther work.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have one that needs replaced already. Manufactured 10-05 and first powered up 9-06. Seems the bird dander has done it in already. My buddy says the newest ones talk and take voice commands. Anyone have any of these?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We had to have 9 of them installed in our house back in 2001. These are both battery back up and hard wired and communicate to each other. Two years later they started failing one by one until I couldn't stand it any more and finally took the batteries out and turned the power off to the. You could get them to stop but they would star in again and usually late at night. They only had a one year warranty on them and the company would not back them up. I finally got around to replacing them three years ago. Yeah I know not a smart thing to have left them go so long.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I had just replaced all the batteries in mine with the time change. Thought perhaps it was a bad battery but that was not it. Mine are hard wired also so all 7 or 8 of them go off at once. Then the dogs and the birds get fired up so there is no way in hell I can sleep through that ruckus. I am going to add a battery one in the pantry where the freezers are.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
The 3 we have here on the ceiling in strategic locations and hard wired with no batteries except a back up encase of a power failure. They where here before I took over an that will be 9 years in September. Other than that the one thing I do know about smoke detectors is don't put them near the floor but at the ceiling.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You may want to consider some of both the ionization and photovoltaic type throughout your house as they detect different types of fires. The Ionization detectors will detect a fast burning fire while the photovoltaic type is better suited to detect a slow burning smoldering type fires. I have 12 located throughout my house.

Five of each type and 2 combination smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. The CO detectors are located one in the basement near the furnace and one at the top of the stairs.

You should always have one in each bedroom and one just outside the bedroom.

The combo 9V & 110V types are the best as they use a 12/3 romex between them and work as a network. In essence giving you a whole house alarm system similar to commercial systems. When one goes off they all go off. I use the BRK brand as it uses a latching relay to indicated which detector went off after you silence the system. Probably more info than you were looking for. Very good product. Linkie here.

I have never heard of a type that uses a fan in residential applications. Personally I would stick with a type that has a proven track record in residential application such as BRK or First Alert. Just MHO.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My buddy told me this morning he will hook me up with the BRK brand. 2 CO and 6 smoke. I am familiar with the wiring as I had to install my basement ones and tie them in. As far as the dogs they smell food in an instant and can hear a chip bag or microwave dinger from outside the house! Actually the jack russel was fussing when the capacitor in the freezer was smoking.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My buddy told me this morning he will hook me up with the BRK brand. 2 CO and 6 smoke. I am familiar with the wiring as I had to install my basement ones and tie them in. As far as the dogs they smell food in an instant and can hear a chip bag or microwave dinger from outside the house! Actually the jack russel was fussing when the capacitor in the freezer was smoking.

Good choice on BRK. BTW, any dog that don't jump at the sound of a chip bag is a dog that is either deaf or dead. :biggrin: