• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Recommendation for a patio fire pit

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm in the market for one, and I'm looking for some feedback from y'all. I know I want something substantial, but not sure what I should be looking for or looking out for. I like the look of the iron ones, but rust is always an issue with those. I'm also seeing stainless steel and copper pits that tickle my fancy, but not sure what the issues are with those.

loboloco

jpr,
What type of fuel do you want to use?
What type of patio is it going on? Brick, wood, concrete? Ground level, raised?
And, last but not least, how much are you willing to spend on it?

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
jpr,
What type of fuel do you want to use?
What type of patio is it going on? Brick, wood, concrete? Ground level, raised?
And, last but not least, how much are you willing to spend on it?

I want to burn traditional firewood. It's for a concrete patio and I'm not looking to break the bank. I just want to sit by a fire on the patio from time to time. For me to spend more than $200, it better be a friggin awesome firepit.:biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Since you're just looking for a budget pit ,here's what we put on our patio. I just used the same 6x6 and 6x12 patio blocks to create a pit that we just set a steel basin with a screen lid that the wife bought at Target for $49 (that included a base to hold the basin off the surface it sits on, but not needed here). The bricks were inexpensive at Lowes, and are just stacked on each other, and can be dismantled and relocated.

P1030867.jpg

Here is what we started with, and it's in its third season and holding up well. I spray it with black high-heat paint at the end of the season.

DSC_8644.jpg

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Would a clay chimneas be a consideration? That's what we have on the patio ............... cheap, warm, safe ...............

Attachments

• 12--c4a_1.jpg
    12--c4a_1.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 24

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I wanted something that was more of a "One of a kind" for the ranch here in Idaho . I knew it would be under the cover deck so I needed to build a hood for smoke . I wanted something about 48" in diameter .
I had the welding shop bend me up a piece up 10 gauge metal circle and a couple of steel rings for a 6" pipe and then welded it up in my shop .
The Bricks came from a old State boiler that was being "Rebricked" And got them for free . I love the colors of the fire brick . We have oranges, reds,browns and purple ones . The liner is a double wall of fire brick , top and sides .
The "Elk Fire ring was ordered from Cabela's and inset into the top of the fire ring as it was built .
The hood is suspended with 4 metal chains from the ceiling . I did not want anything ubstructing the ability to see across the fire to the other side .
Its been about 8 years and is a great place to sit with my feet up on the wide ledge and watch it snow while staying cozy warm .
The picture is not the best one as we were just reinstalling the hood when I snapped it and I had not leveled it yet .

Attachments

• P1010109.jpg
    P1010109.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 24

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter

Holy crap, Doc! I'm liking this one so far: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CobraCo-FB8008-Diamond-Screen-Cover/dp/B001I45TBW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1XJWTWMM6SWPY&colid=Z17HWXSYBPK9"]Amazon.com: CobraCo FB8008 Diamond Mesh Fire Pit with Screen and Cover: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Since you're just looking for a budget pit ,here's what we put on our patio. I just used the same 6x6 and 6x12 patio blocks to create a pit that we just set a steel basin with a screen lid that the wife bought at Target for $49 (that included a base to hold the basin off the surface it sits on, but not needed here). The bricks were inexpensive at Lowes, and are just stacked on each other, and can be dismantled and relocated.

P1030867.jpg

Here is what we started with, and it's in its third season and holding up well. I spray it with black high-heat paint at the end of the season.

DSC_8644.jpg

Well done, JEV!:clap: I do want to be able to move the thing around from time to time, if need be ....

Would a clay chimneas be a consideration? That's what we have on the patio ............... cheap, warm, safe ...............

I had one once and wasn't that happy with it -- not very weather hardy and you have to hover around the opening to get any true warmth.

I wanted something that was more of a "One of a kind" for the ranch here in Idaho . I knew it would be under the cover deck so I needed to build a hood for smoke . I wanted something about 48" in diameter .
I had the welding shop bend me up a piece up 10 gauge metal circle and a couple of steel rings for a 6" pipe and then welded it up in my shop .
The Bricks came from a old State boiler that was being "Rebricked" And got them for free . I love the colors of the fire brick . We have oranges, reds,browns and purple ones . The liner is a double wall of fire brick , top and sides .
The "Elk Fire ring was ordered from Cabela's and inset into the top of the fire ring as it was built .
The hood is suspended with 4 metal chains from the ceiling . I did not want anything ubstructing the ability to see across the fire to the other side .
Its been about 8 years and is a great place to sit with my feet up on the wide ledge and watch it snow while staying cozy warm .
The picture is not the best one as we were just reinstalling the hood when I snapped it and I had not leveled it yet .

Al, that's just waaay over the top, but impressive none the less!:biggrin: