• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Since tomorrow is the anniversary, and I won't be on the forums until late in the evening (got a family outing to attend in Indiana).. just thought I'd post something to mark it.

Her hair was up in a pony tail,

her favorite dress tied with a bow.

Today was Daddy's Day at school,

and she couldn't wait to go.

But her mommy tried to tell her,

that she probably should stay home.

Why the kids might not understand,

if she went to school alone.

But she was not afraid; she knew just what to say. What to tell her classmates of why he wasn't there today.

But still her mother worried,

for her to face this day alone.

And that was why once again,

she tried to keep her daughter home.

But the little girl went to school

eager to tell them all.

About a dad she never sees;

a dad who never calls.

There were daddies along the wall in back, for everyone to meet.

Children squirming impatiently,

anxious in their seats

One by one the teacher called a student from the class. To introduce their daddy, as seconds slowly passed.

At last the teacher called her name,

every child turned to stare.

Each of them was searching,

for a man who wasn't there.

"Where's her daddy at?"

she heard a boy call out.

"She probably doesn't have one,"

another student dared to shout.

And from somewhere near the back,

she heard a daddy say,

"Looks like another deadbeat dad,

too busy to waste his day."

The words did not offend her,

as she smiled up at her Mom.

And looked back at her teacher,

who told her to go on.

And with hands behind her back,

slowly she began to speak.

And out from the mouth of a child,

came words incredibly unique.

"My Daddy couldn't be here,

because he lives so far away.

But I know he wishes he could be,

since this is such a special day.

And though you cannot meet him,

I wanted you to know.

All about my daddy,

and how much he loves me so.

He loved to tell me stories

he taught me to ride my bike.

He surprised me with pink roses,

and taught me to fly a kite.

We used to share fudge sundaes,

and ice cream in a cone.

And though you cannot see him.

I'm not standing here alone.

"Cause my daddy's always with me,

even though we are apart

I know because he told me,

he'll forever be in my heart"

With that, her little hand reached up,

and lay across her chest.

Feeling her own heartbeat,

beneath her favorite dress.

And from somewhere here in the crowd of dads, her mother stood in tears.

Proudly watching her daughter,

who was wise beyond her years.

For she stood up for the love

of a man not in her life.

Doing what was best for her,

doing what was right.

And when she dropped her hand back down, staring straight into the crowd.

She finished with a voice so soft,

but its message clear and loud.

"I love my daddy very much,

he's my shining star.

And if he could, he'd be here,

but heaven's just too far

You see he was a Marine

and died just this past year

because airplanes hit the towers

and taught Americans to fear.

But sometimes when I close my eyes,

it's like he never went away."

And then she closed her eyes,

and she saw him there that day.

And to her mothers amazement,

she witnessed with surprise

A room full of daddies and children,

all starting to close their eyes.

Who knows what they saw before them,

who knows what they felt inside.

Perhaps for merely a second,

they saw him at her side.

"I know you're with me Daddy,"

to the silence she called out.

And what happened next made believers,

of those once filled with doubt.

Not one in that room could explain it,

for each of their eyes had been closed.

But there on the desk beside her,

was a fragrant long-stemmed pink rose.

And a child was blessed, if only for a moment,

by the love of her shining star.

And given the gift of believing,

that heaven is never too far.
:flowers:

Trakternut

Today's Christian, January/February 2003

Story Behind the Song
Alan Jackson's "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)."
By Linda Owen

Alan Jackson

Alan Jackson vividly recalls the events of September 11. He had just come in from his usual morning walk and turned on the television set in his kitchen. "The first plane had already hit," recalls the country singer. "I was standing there when the second one hit."

Like other Americans, Jackson was devastated. For a few weeks he "didn't want to write or sing or do anything." He thought about writing something, but it was hard to articulate the myriad thoughts and emotions that he was experiencing.

"I didn't want to write a patriotic song," the soft-spoken baritone explains. "And I didn't want it to be vengeful, either. But I didn't want to forget about how I felt and how I knew other people felt that day."

One Sunday in October, Jackson bolted upright in bed at 4 A.M. The tune of "Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)" was running through his mind. He hurried downstairs and sang the chorus into a small tape recorder so he'd remember it later, and then went back to bed.

When he got up later that morning, Jackson felt compelled to finish writing the verses while his wife Denise and their three daughters went to Sunday school. What poured from his pen were words of encouragement and faith, and references to praying, going to church, and reading the Bible.

Although Jackson had awakened with song ideas before, his ideas had never been so structured and complete. "It just poured out," says Jackson, who believes the song was divine intervention. By the time he finished "Where Were You," he had summed up the collective feelings of a nation and crystallized that tragic moment in history, with lyrics mixed of shell shock and hope.

"Did you weep for the children that lost their dear loved ones?" one verse went. "Did you pray for the ones you don't know? Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble and sob for the ones left below?

"Did you go to church and hold hands with some strangers? Stand in line and give your own blood? Did you just stay home and cling tight to your family, Thank God you had somebody to love?"

Initially Jackson was reluctant to record the song, not wanting people to think he was taking advantage of the tragedy. However, after Denise and his band persuaded him to share the message, Jackson decided to perform it at the nationally televised Country Music Association awards show. Sitting on the Grande Ole Opry stage with an acoustic guitar resting on his lap, he quietly sang to Americans about God's love in the midst of pain and sorrow.

The next morning, radio station music directors pulled the performance from the broadcast and began airing it. By the time Jackson's label released his album, the song had already hit the charts. The fact that it spoke to the hearts of everyone was evidenced by its crossover appeal—the song topped the country, pop, and Christian country charts.

"I've had so many people come up to me, and I don't know what to say, other than that I just feel like it was a gift from God," says Jackson, who sang in the choir at his Baptist church in Newman, Georgia, before moving to Nashville. "I don't know why he picked me to send those words to, but I'm glad it's been a healing song for some people.

"I think it was Hank Williams who said, 'God writes the songs, I just hold the pen.' That's the way I felt with this song.

I went searching for something about this song. It, truly, struck home with me.
One of my first thoughts, after I realized the magnitude of the attacks, was This is the Pearl Harborof my generationl.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
^^^^^ [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4vBhSw-vrE"]YouTube - Where were you when the world stopped turning?[/ame]

k-dog

I was in Washington DC on 9/11/01 when the planes hit the towers and the Pentagon. Luckily a friend of mine gave me a ride out of there before things got really chaotic. I have been back in DC every 9/11 that has come on a work day. I am truly amazed and thankful at the security that I see and also for the security that I cannot see but know that it is there.

God Bless all our soldiers!

Trakternut

I was in the second day of a new job. I had been hired as a temporary worker at a plant, here, that makes the components for loading cargo containers on............Boeing 747s. If that ain't ironic, eh?
Anyway, some of the guys nearby had heard the early reports on radios they had at their work stations. One of my cohorts logged a computer onto the 'net and I saw the second plane hit.
After work, that night, I went home and watched the rerun-after-rerun-after-rerun of the attacks. The flaming hole in the Pentagon, and the "hole" in Pennsylvania.
Y'know........when I witnessed the towers' collapse, I was thinking of all the people who must have been streaming down emergency stairwells to safety on the outside....and the firefighters who were rushing in.
The photo of the firefighters atop a pile of rubble, raising Old Glory on a piece of pipe, ala Iwo Jima, surely gave my morale a boost. We would rise again!
God Bless America, God Bless Our Troops, and, God bless and protect those who protect us, here at home, firefighters, police, emt's and others. You are appreciated.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe I've told the account before, but I was living in England at the time.
Steve and I had gone on a camping holiday.
We decided that we were going to get away, and by that.. no cell phone calls, nothing from the outside world.
We headed for the trip to the New Forest area.
Once we got to our camping site, I went to check in with the owner of the property and he heard my American accent.
He said "You're an American? This must be a very sad day for you"
Well, I had no idea what he was talking about until he showed me a copy of The Daily Mail, I think it was.
It said "Armageddon In America" on the front page with buildings billowing in smoke.
At first I thought it was the Chicago skyline.
Then I read the story and felt so lost.
I had no idea where to place those feelings being so far away from my homeland.
So Steve and I cut the camping holiday short and headed straight for London to be at the American Embassy, because we'd heard on the radio that there would be a book of condolence to sign, and that our guys and gals in uniform would be there.
The Roosevelt Memorial was AWESOME.
So many people were there, flags, flowers- people in tears.
I even met some American tourists and we hugged each other.
We decided to stay in London for a few more days.
The thing that struck me is that there were a lot of Brits sporting American apparel in support.
However, I did overhear one woman say that American's are strong, they'll get through this, I am bloody sick of hearing about it already.
Had to hold my tongue there! lol
God Bless Our Troops and all those who serve to keep this country free.
:smile:

HulaMac

We were still in bed asleep. It was early in the morning Hawaii time. My daughter called and told us to turn the tv on. We sat and watched in shock all day and into the night and for days after. Still can't get those images out of mind.:sad:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was going into a company meeting and one of my employees said he heard it on the radio. We tried getting connected to the internet and the web was pretty much locked up and I could not connect to any page. It took for ever. Hours later I could finally connect to some web pages and could see it.

I won't ever forget.

murph