• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Democrats panic over DACA

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
February 12, 2018
Democrats panic over DACA
By Monica Showalter

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/02/democrats_panic_over_daca.html

With less than a month to go on making the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals executive order, dating from President Obama's pen, permanent, Democrats are in a panic about their prospects for making DACA law.

That's not my word; it's the word from the far left itself, as seen in this post from Josh Marshall's left-wing Talking Points Memo (TPM), from writer Alice Ollstein:

TPM explains that Democrats have no more political cards to play after all the multiple government shutdown dramas they created over DACA recipients, including Nancy Pelosi's eight-hour floor speech, conducted in four-inch heels, something that, Salena Zito credibly argues, reduced Democrats' leverage even further, and certainly won't help their prospects for a wave election at the end of 2018.

Get your schadenfreude on with this from TPM:

"All leverage is gone," a grim-faced Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) told reporters before the vote. "Back in September, we said we would have leverage on the budget and on the debt ceiling. Now, we're giving it all up. Once you've lifted the caps, do you really believe anybody is going to take us seriously?"

"It's folly," he continued bitterly. "You guys are going to laugh, as well you should."

We certainly are, Luis. Now quit being left-wing.

Here's the problem with the whole mess for the Democrats.

Democrats staked their entire party's fortunes on the prospect of 700,000 or, given chain migration, millions of newly minted Democratic voters from the DACA deal. They know full well that most DACA recipients aren't the overachieving, I've-got-a-new-life-at-last entrepreneurial immigrants of the legal variety; they are largely underachievers who have managed to assimilate only into the underclass and are used to having everything handed to them, including citizenship, for free. Many do not speak English, and a few valedictorians aside, they can have as many as two misdemeanors, sometimes three, for wife-beating, graffiti-spraying, drunk driving, and the like. Obviously, most of these people are high consumers of social services of all kinds, from food stamps to medical services to education to justice system "interaction." As a result, they become Democratic voters, at times through the muscle of Democratic political machines, if not for the freebies themselves.

Democrats ignored everyone else and their concerns about illegals driving down wages, the moral hazard of additional just-wait-for-the-next-subway amnesties to fuel more illegal immigration, and the high costs of added social services while getting little of value in return.

They pretty much have no other program than that.

They also treated DACA as a racism issue, rather than a rule of law issue, which angers voters as well. Anyone opposing DACA was nothing but a racist, according to the Democrat line, so give the DACA recipients everything they want – to avoid the dreaded racist label. Didn't work for them. Yet the only other thing that defines Democrats is identity politics, so of course they had to make DACA about racism. That well can yield only so many times.

Besides this, they made DACA a confrontational social justice matter. Voters "owed" DACA recipients citizenship; it wasn't a favor. This explains the DACA protests as a Democrat strategy – the sit-ins, the blockages at congressional offices and at Disneyland, loud speeches and editorials, and university coddling. America, once again, had done something bad by not giving DACA recipients instant citizenship. Well, most Americans are tired of being the bad guy for the crime of having immigration laws, same as every other country on Earth, including those countries DACA recipients hail from.

As a corollary to that, the Democrats browbeat Americans as "anti-immigrant," particularly in the biased media. The U.S. admits one to three million legal immigrants each year, so there is no argument about its welcome to immigrants. The DACA issue is about whether every immigrant should have to obey U.S. laws. Arguing that some don't requires much more than sob stories, given what's known about them. Democrats offered nothing but shrill semantic shifts, conflating immigrants with illegal aliens. That didn't work, either.

Their entire approach to the matter was wrong. They should have taken half a loaf in favor of the DACA recipients in the form of allowing a border wall, ending chain migration, installing E-Verify, and dropping the visa diversity lottery if they really wanted DACA that bad. They didn't.

Aside from that, they should have reconsidered their whole strategy of making American citizens the bad guy, and instead asked for a DACA amnesty – not as an entitlement, but as a favor.

With the party built on entitlements, identity, and political correctness, that was obviously a bridge too far.

So now it's time to laugh at these guys, schadenfreude-style, just as Gutiérrez said.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If DACA is somehow fixed before November the dems will have nothing to run on except the russian collusion if it still has life!! If Mueller isn't finished by then, I think the voting public will send him a message.
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw a report this morning of a DACA person that has been here since he was one. He is an achiever. And he is a huge supporter of Trump and his plan. He supports the wall and ending chain migration. Hopefully there are many more like this one.

rugerman

I feel that President Trump and the republican majority in both houses should let DACA die, it never should have been done in the first place, even obama said that he did NOT have the power to do it, it was just a ploy to increase the democratic voting base. Also chain migration should be stopped, and I don’t feel that just because a woman gives birth to a child in the United States that the child should automatically become a citizen, far too many of our current welfare recipients got that way by this stupid form of citizenship which also drags their parents onto the same over utilized welfare system.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Ruger, for good or bad regarding children of illegals born here, it's in the constitution.
Mike

rugerman

Yes sir but the process is being greatly abused which is putting a strain in our welfare, medical, etc. systems and in the past if a adjustment in the constitution needed to be made the process was a amendment to help rectify the situation, that could be a remedy for a bad situation.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I too, am aware of the abuse of our constitution. Am I correct in saying it requires a constitutional convention to add or remove amendments? If one was called for this then I'm afraid certain other groups would want to do away with 2nd amendment and the electoral college while the convention was open. So I guess my question is: do we let this sleeping dog lie or not?
Mike