• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

K Cup Brewers

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I love K cup coffee. Perfectly brewed every time. I could not live without it. One of life's simple pleasures, for me anyway.

Which brings me to the Kuerig brewing machine itself. What a friggin' abortion of Chinese made dog shit. Every three years or so I have to buy a new one. My latest one is actually slightly less then 3 years old and started filling the cups to overflow every half dozen times or so. Got to the point I had to stand there every time I brewed a cup with another cup, never knowing when the overfill gremlin would decide to play his games.

So today, with trepidation I plunk down another 99 bucks and that is on sale for yet another brewer. I get this one home and the first cup of coffee tastes like plastic. PLASTIC!!. This was the same thing the last one did when I bought it in 2013. Kuerig sent me a new resevoir. They told me there was a bad batch.

Three years later they still have bad batches. If I wasn't addicted to their coffee I would have told them to suck off years ago and gone back to a perculator. :yum:

Oh, and they no longer include the water filter assembly or a complimentary box of k-cups in the box, but you can register on line for a 50% off coupon.

I need a cup of coffee, maybe with a shot of Crown Royal in it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I just stick with my tried and true Bunn. I have it connected to a timer to shut off at 10 AM and start at 4 AM as we are only morning coffee drinkers. With our extremely hard water I only put hot(soft) water in it. Took the top off the tank a few months ago after 4 yrs use and very little mineral in it.
Mike

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with you TR. I love K-Cups coffee. I also love fresh brewed coffee but the operative word is "fresh" and that's what you get every time with the Keurig.

As for the machine, I agree with you. I'm on my 4th one. I've never had the overfilling problem. Just the opposite. Mine end up dispensing about a quarter cup. Take them apart, clean them out until they are spotless, my wife is great at that, but it doesn't make any difference. I would have dumped them a long time ago but I don't know what I'd do without my K-Cup coffee. So, I'm pretty much stuck with them.

I'm sitting here now drinking a K-Cups Earl Gray tea before bed. Hold the Crown Royal. :yum:

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They do plug once in a while. I have been using RO filtered water and the problems are few and far between. If I see a slow flow problem, I use canned air with the straw nozzle attached and blow back through the metal nozzle to clear the obstruction. That works for me.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
They do plug once in a while. I have been using RO filtered water and the problems are few and far between. If I see a slow flow problem, I use canned air with the straw nozzle attached and blow back through the metal nozzle to clear the obstruction. That works for me.

We filter all the water that goes in to it through a Pur pitcher filter. I've never used canned air. As I said we take it apart and clean it as best we can whenever it starts to short change us.

This last one is the most high tech of all that we've had and it seems to be working well ... so far.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Which brings me to the Kuerig brewing machine itself. What a friggin' abortion of Chinese made dog shit. Every three years or so I have to buy a new one. My latest one is actually slightly less then 3 years old and started filling the cups to overflow every half dozen times or so. Got to the point I had to stand there every time I brewed a cup with another cup, never knowing when the overfill gremlin would decide to play his games.

I'm on my 3rd (and last) Kuerig machine.

I'm done with them. They are unreliable junk. They are convenient as heck. Honestly I have not found a coffee packed in a k-cup that I like, but for a single cup it sure is convenient.

90% of the coffee I make at home comes from a real espresso machine now. I just make a shot of espresso (or 2) every morning.

My wife likes weak coffee, so she drinks coffee from the drip coffee maker, sometimes I will have a cup of that too. But usually I stick to espresso now.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Love :wub: Kuerig coffee? Hate :furious: Kuerig machines? Don't despair, there are alternatives! We used Cuisinart for years but
a friend highly recommended the Bunn MyCafe so we got one three years ago and have never looked back. Wonderful
coffee, zero brewer problems, and it handles my ground Kauai estate grown coffee perfectly. A little more expensive
than "real" Kuerig machines, but well worth it.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I haven't had problems with mine yet. But it does clog every now and then. I just use the little cleaning tool and it usually unclogs. Sometimes it requires a toothpick to unclog but so far no problems.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Our problems with them doesn't seem to be clogging but rather the pump just gives out.

DS, thanks for the tip on the MyCafe machine. I'll look in to it. As I said, it's not the Keurig that I'm in love with but I do like a couple of the coffees made for it and I like it fresh brewed. It IS convenient as well.

One question. How big is the water reservoir in the MyCafe? We had a single cup Keurig in the RV that only held one cup of water but gave up on it for a conventional reservoir model.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry to be contrary, but, the impact of all that plastic in the landfill and oceans keeps me away.

In addition, I read of someone cutting open a K Cup and finding it filled with Instant coffee.

I had one and the refillable baskets. Then the Have to use our cups scam came out. Boo Hiss - It's gone.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Sorry to be contrary, but, the impact of all that plastic in the landfill and oceans keeps me away.

The ocean is a long ways away from me, but I open them up to use the coffee grounds in the garden. I recycle the rest when I feel like it, I won't bs you. :biggrin:

In addition, I read of someone cutting open a K Cup and finding it filled with Instant coffee.

That is the real elcheapo stuff. When you see K-cups selling for 10 cents apiece or there a bouts it will have instant in it. Pure dog shit.

I had one and the refillable baskets. Then the Have to use our cups scam came out. Boo Hiss - It's gone.

I have those and they work good. I use them for the decaf when I am on a big coffee day and want to watch my caffeine consumption. No need for old TR to get the heebie jeebies.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Our problems with them doesn't seem to be clogging but rather the pump just gives out.

DS, thanks for the tip on the MyCafe machine. I'll look in to it. As I said, it's not the Keurig that I'm in love with but I do like a couple of the coffees made for it and I like it fresh brewed. It IS convenient as well.

One question. How big is the water reservoir in the MyCafe? We had a single cup Keurig in the RV that only held one cup of water but gave up on it for a conventional reservoir model.
That's the one drawback; you need to add the appropriate amount of water for each cup, each time. Sounds like a total
pain in the rear, but after the first week we realized it was no big deal; it adds about 30 seconds to the process. However, if
a reservoir is something on your "must-have" list, the MyCafe is probably not your cup of tea ... or coffee.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found another way to clear a clogged system in the K-cup coffee maker. Take a small diameter soda straw, remove the rubber gasket from the k-cup perforating prong and slide the straw over the prong. Blow back through the straw into the system with your mouth. This should clear any build up of calcium in the system.
YMMV.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I found another way to clear a clogged system in the K-cup coffee maker. Take a small diameter soda straw, remove the rubber gasket from the k-cup perforating prong and slide the straw over the prong. Blow back through the straw into the system with your mouth. This should clear any build up of calcium in the system.
YMMV.

On all ours we always used to descale with the Keurig Cleaning Solution. They all got cleaned with a wooden toothpick and a pipe cleaner. They all failed. This new(ish) 2.0 seems to be doing well though.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
YMMV.

So yer sayin' I have to blow my Koerig????

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never owned one but on the news this morning they were showing some good buyer deals and the Keurig machine was on sale for $19 or $20.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
How much coffee does one of those things make at a time?
It probably wouldn't be enough (for me) because the mug I drink from holds around three standard (going by what my coffee maker shows) cups. When I drink coffee I drink at least one mug a day in the morning .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
How much coffee does one of those things make at a time?
It probably wouldn't be enough (for me) because the mug I drink from holds around three standard (going by what my coffee maker shows) cups. When I drink coffee I drink at least one mug a day in the morning .

Generally, they have 3 settings from a cup to a mug and you can also adjust the strength from weak to strong ... kinda. The Keurig 2.0 that we have now can also make a 4 cup carafe but you have to use larger "pods" and there is not as much choice in blends and flavors but the few times I've used them, it's still pretty good coffee.

If you want to fill that "bucket" that you drink from, stick in your mug and run the machine three times.

I usually have 2 mugs in the morning. I also have a mug that must be close to the same size as yours so I just run the machine twice.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I run mine through twice. Once on 10oz. Then again 6oz. That's enough to fill my travel mug. That's enough coffee for me. Any more and I'm pissing like a race horse all day. Kidney problems from having stones before.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
Not worth it to me to buy one since I can just use my regular coffee maker anyway.
Bad or good coffee all tastes the same with a shot of whisky in it. Now that's how to start the day!
Actually kidding about the whiskey part. I stopped drinking over 16 years ago.
Really I just buy whatever is on sale. But I don't drink it black either, I do add cream and sugar. Probably to much sometimes it seems like I am adding coffee to my cream and sugar.
To each their own.