• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Scary thing happened on the way to the farm...

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Some people may not have read about what happened to me in the past, so I'm posting this experience again just sort of a safety reminder. Anybody else use the 2" wide ratcheting tie downs? I've gotten into the habit of using two of the tie downs on the front of my tractor and two on the rear, and not using chains anymore. I figured since the tie downs said that they had a 10,000 pound capacity that two of them on each end of my tractor would be sufficient. Wrong!!!

While running about 50 mph up a 2 lane highway yesterday I had both front straps break after going over a dip in the road. When they snapped, one of them caught the electric brake plug and also broke it. The only way I knew that the straps broke was my tractor began to exit off of the rear of the trailer.

Now I also ask, have you ever been towing a load and have it become extremely tail heavy? Once the tractor moved to the rear on the trailer, the trailer immediately slung around my 1 ton 4X4 dually diesel Dodge like it was a toy! There are heavy black marks that go within 6" of being off of the left side of the highway (wrong lane) and then within 12" of going off of the right side of the highway. I literally was all over the road and almost completely sideways. Without trailer brakes, I absolutely had all I could handle and then some trying to get the whole shooting match stopped with the rubber side down!

After what seemed like an eternity, I luckily managed to get the truck and trailer stopped. I have no idea how I didn't lose the tractor off of the trailer and how I kept it out of the ditches on both sides of the highway. I was also extremely lucky that there was no oncoming traffic because I was all over the highway. I still can't believe how much the trailer flung an 8500 pound truck all over the road!

I still can't believe that the only actual damage I had (besides two broken tie down straps - which I promptly threw away) was a flat right rear trailer tire from sliding sideways with a heavy load. The trailer didn't get into my truck, the tractor stayed on the trailer, and the trailer didn't flip.

Anyway, I'm getting a larger trailer that will accomodate my tractor better and I'll never use straps to hold my tractor on a trailer again!!! Both straps broke in the middle. Not at the hook, and not at the ratchet. There was nothing rubbing against the straps where they broke. They just flat snapped. I'm using nothing but chains again!

I only mention this incident to hopefully prevent someone else from having a disaster happen because of (supposedly) strong tie down straps break. I consider myself extremely fortunate and I don't expect to have another "warning" about not using chains to tie my tractor down on my trailer. If you use straps, please reconsider and use chains. Before yesterday I would have thought you were nuts if you told me that my tractor could snap two straps and come off of the trailer when I'm just driving down the highway. I learned my lesson and really got off easy for my ignorance. Sorry to preach, but that could have been a complete disaster yesterday and I could have very easily have not only destroyed my tractor, but there is no way I could have presented my trailer from smashing into oncoming traffic on the highway.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Bugger. Glad you came out OK.

I use straps but they are way overrated for what I haul. I even have a 4 inch strap in the shed for bigger stuff. Another reason to replace those straps that are starting to fray.

Had a couple of similar close calls with loads shifting and wheels coming off the ground, but never on the road. One time rolled the trailer over and caused a fair ole bit of damage. Nothing on yours though

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What a ride that had to be! :eek:

Thanks for sharing Dargo! :thumb:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Had a similar incident going down a steep hill about 65, 4 lane highway. Had to slow down and the trailer went up and became tong light and it was all over the place. Dargo I am glad everything turned out OK and glad you posted this story for us all to keep in mind when towing.

Oh, and I did have to change my shorts after my incident :fart2: Just kiddn

murph

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
thcri said:
Oh, and I did have to change my shorts after my incident

murph

Hey, what luck! I kept my shorts from that day. I'll post a pic of them later... :D

JimR

Charter Member
Holy shit is what I would have been saying. You were extremely lucky on that one for sure. Were your straps fraid at all or were they tightened down too tight. I'm curious as I use these kind of straps also for my tractor and have towed 3 BMW's home with those same straps. I've never had a problem and my straps are in great condition. I guess I better use chains too just to be on the safe side.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent; I remember that happening to you. It's also the reason I'm using 4, 3/8" grade 70, US made chain and binders now. There is noticable difference in using the chain versus the straps. The chain doesn't stretch and flex, and your load stays right where you put it, instead of slightly moving around. Don't think I could use straps again on a load as big and heavy as my TC.

Good idea to post this over here Brent, alot of guys may not have seen it elsewhere.:thumb::tiphat::beer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After Dargo's experience, I too went out and bought a bunch of grade-70 chains.
I do still use straps on other things but on no rolling loads.
Once on the trailer, I lock the brakes and also put the tractor in L range, 1st gear hoping that'll help it from rolling.

I still need more chain binders :(

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The first time I read this marked the last time I used nylon load straps to hold my tractor.

Thanks for posting this again.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, duh. I was told to look on KBN and sure enough there were some people on the Kioti area giving not only incorrect, but dangerous advice on how to secure a tractor to a trailer. I thought about just laughing about it and letting the sucker who takes the bad advice learn the hard way. Instead, I explained that it is not only bad advice, but flat dangerous to secure a "4000 pound" tractor with ratcheting nylon straps.

Just watch, the Kioti faithful will reply that it is perfectly safe to secure a tractor with straps. I won't even bother to respond. I just hope they don't kill someone else for being morons. I figure it's one thing to make the mistake and not know. It's a completely different issue when you've been told but insist on being illegal and dangerous anyway. Of course, you have good ole Einstein himself, highbeam, promoting grade 43 chain. I've shown him several regulations that specifically state grade 70 chain is reqired, but he continues to talk about the "phenominal strength" :yum: grade 43 chain and "phenominal strength" binders he uses. :yum: At least he uses chains though. I suppose I do have to at least give him that.