• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Building passenger cabins and maintaining a PB240

Idris

As I said here (http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=80045) , the last 2 winters I have been running a Cat skiing operation in Japan.

The beast as I first met

FirstView.jpg

Having been given no real direction on budget and design requirements being keep the weather out and carry 10 (8 clients + 2 guides).
I decided to go as simple as possible.
A box of plywood, 2 x 2's along the corners and use the bed of the cat as a structural base.
I got a bit of a surprise when I discovered Japanese hardware stores are not like the rest of the world. (OK Europe, NorthAmerica, AU n NZ) There are no 120cm x 240cm (8' x 4') sheets of plywood only 90cm x 180cm (3' x 6' ) which made for more difficult design when trying to minimize the joints.
The box was made in the lobby of the Ski School instructors residence. Tools were a 12v drill a jigsaw, a 125mm (5") circular saw, a hand saw, a tiny hammer, 2 ancient screw drivers, an adjustable wrench and 2 F clamps.
I glued it all together with what I was told was all weather wood glue.

boxparts.jpg

I put the box on the cat on a nice bluebird day of -15C (0F)

BoxBuild.jpg

I'm the first to admit that it's a complete hack job. But it had 2 inward facing 5 person benches with storage underneath and lasted the whole season with no issues.

1stBox.jpg

Idris

At the end of season I didn't know what was happening for the next year, there was supposed to be someone coming to do maintenance. As it was a late winter and there still being more than 2m (7ft) of snow on the groundand more storms forecast. I dug a pit in the forest so the cat could sit on the forest floor and covered it over best I could with boards and tarps.

I returned in late October - No one had done anything - all was a bit moldy.

wakeup.jpg

The cat was mostly ok, but the box was rotten, also there were plans for more passengers. Didn't take much, once the screws were out it sort of disassembled itself.

I had taken the precaution of getting a good set of wrenches, sockets and some ryobi battery tools (including a rattle gun)

I've got the operators manual now which tells you how things work, but no service guide (I've got one for the engine 'cause cummins is easy to find). So I have been groping around in the dark.

Tracks off

Tracksoff.jpg

So I could free up the track adjusters - couldn't get them completely apart so I drilled a small hole in each and pumped em full of grease, problem sorted.
Jacked up each wheel individually to check wheel bearing play. Wanted to jack the whole thing up, but the ground was way too soft for that.
Changed all the filters I could find and all the cracked n flakey looking hoses.

The coolant filter as a fight

Waterfilter.jpg

Obviously hadn't been changed in ages, broke some of the mounting bolts trying to torque the thing off. Ended up cutting it open with a grinder and finishing off with a hammer and screwdriver (chisel stand in).

Time for a better box, a bit more budget and knowledge of what I could get my hands on.
Scaffold poles for frame and self supporting box round the outside.

Boxbuild2.jpg

Winter decided to turn up as soon as I moved outside

Startbox.jpg

But I got it done

Almostdone.jpg

All painted up

Finished.jpg

It has padded seats, grab straps (like the subway), seat belts. A heater (what a pig it is to T into the cab heater on a PB240) a roof rack on the cab made out of skinny scaffold to hold the rescue sled, and Ski rack on back. Rear view camera and backup lights.

Idris

Mid season I got fed up with carrying 2 x 43kg batteries out to jump start the cat on cold mornings and modified the battery box. PB batteries are a strange shape and very expensive. The same capacity truck batteries just won't fit. I filled the tray with wood and bolted brackets to the outside of the existing battery frame to hold batteries that are only 5mm (about 1/4") to big sitting on top. I had to space the whole air filter assembly 50mm (2") higher to clear of course.

When I left, it was parked up in a pine forest, no tarps, but also nothing growing on the forest floor. So if no one does the summer maintenance, it should be in a better state when I turn up.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great Story, thanks for taking the time to micro-blog your work, I appreciate the time you took to compile your story.

One Of my best friends shares great stories of working in japan and all the uniqueness that comes with it.